Any reviews or opinions on Rancho Front Diff Skid

JAGS

It may be "fairly normal" for "some manufacturers" but there's nothing normal about a Jeep or the people who buy them. Granted, I'm new to the Jeep thing and suck at wheeling so that's probably why my drain bolt came loose.

Years ago, I had asked my good friend Jim, the owner of Dynatrac, why his ProRock axles didn't come with drain plugs like some manufacturers include. You know, because for them, it's "fairly normal". After he stopped laughing, he reminded me of all the times that we've seen these drain bolts work themselves free and horror stories related to them. We even talked about how people back in the day used to do things like weld shit up to the bottom of the housing to recesses the bolts to help protect them and how it still didn't keep them from backing out. Of course, a lot of this is due to the fact that the drain bolts use a pipe thread - time and use on the rocks would still work them out. But hey, if it wasn't seen on one of the forums, it clearly has never happened. :crazyeyes:

I’m new to the Jeep world. Told my self I’d never buy one because of the people I’ve seen wheeling them. People with short time wheeling knowledge and only buy parts they have seen because it looks cool or someone said they needed it. I’ve been wheeling for 22 years. Mostly 85 Toyota. But I have built a buggy that was in crawl magazine. I’m not new. And I’m not saying they won’t back out. I’m saying odds are if you inspect these components that may back out after every wheeling trip. You most likely won’t have an issue. It’s a good idea to make a rig free of possible problems on the trails. That’s what we do from our experience or from others experiences. If I put a skid on I’ll build my own. But with how many of the new jeeps that have ran the rubicon and other trails with lots of rocks. This issue happens very rarely. On a true rock buggy or someone who only wheels in the rocks. Drain plug on the bottom is a bad idea. For most it’s not a big deal. For some, the loss of ground clearance would bother them more. This is just my opinion. I would base yours on how you wheel your rig. And what gives you piece of mind. I would carry a on board welder when wheeling far from recovery. And I know not many do this. But if you want to get home you will have the material it takes to do it( plus your buddies) in case of the things that can’t be fixed.

Sent from my iPhone using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

The guy you quoted is a total fucking novice. I’m not sure he knows what a welder is, let alone how to use one.

#sarcasm [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

Shaneheberlein

The guy you quoted is a total fucking novice. I’m not sure he knows what a welder is, let alone how to use one.

#sarcasm [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

Point is, there are a lot of other things to fix if you’re really wheeling. I’ve seen the videos. I’m not saying it doesn’t have a purpose. But it sounds like a ways life band wagon to me. I like his videos and a lot of the info. I wish I knew the right people to test equipment. It seems to me you guys a worried about something that will rarely happen. If you want it ! Buy it! Or if you know how, which I doubt most people on this forum do. Build it! Either way, have fun with your hobbies. What’s great is you guys will learn more from his videos then you will from the trail. I can tell

notnalc68

That dude from Mississippi
It may be "fairly normal" for "some manufacturers" but there's nothing normal about a Jeep or the people who buy them. Granted, I'm new to the Jeep thing and suck at wheeling so that's probably why my drain bolt came loose.

Years ago, I had asked my good friend Jim, the owner of Dynatrac, why his ProRock axles didn't come with drain plugs like some manufacturers include. You know, because for them, it's "fairly normal". After he stopped laughing, he reminded me of all the times that we've seen these drain bolts work themselves free and horror stories related to them. We even talked about how people back in the day used to do things like weld shit up to the bottom of the housing to recesses the bolts to help protect them and how it still didn't keep them from backing out. Of course, a lot of this is due to the fact that the drain bolts use a pipe thread - time and use on the rocks would still work them out. But hey, if it wasn't seen on one of the forums, it clearly has never happened. :crazyeyes:

I’m new to the Jeep world. Told my self I’d never buy one because of the people I’ve seen wheeling them. People with short time wheeling knowledge and only buy parts they have seen because it looks cool or someone said they needed it. I’ve been wheeling for 22 years. Mostly 85 Toyota. But I have built a buggy that was in crawl magazine. I’m not new. And I’m not saying they won’t back out. I’m saying odds are if you inspect these components that may back out after every wheeling trip. You most likely won’t have an issue. It’s a good idea to make a rig free of possible problems on the trails. That’s what we do from our experience or from others experiences. If I put a skid on I’ll build my own. But with how many of the new jeeps that have ran the rubicon and other trails with lots of rocks. This issue happens very rarely. On a true rock buggy or someone who only wheels in the rocks. Drain plug on the bottom is a bad idea. For most it’s not a big deal. For some, the loss of ground clearance would bother them more. This is just my opinion. I would base yours on how you wheel your rig. And what gives you piece of mind. I would carry a on board welder when wheeling far from recovery. And I know not many do this. But if you want to get home you will have the material it takes to do it( plus your buddies) in case of the things that can’t be fixed.

He was inspecting his Jeep, actually in the middle of a wheeling trip, not after. He does carry a welder, and enough tools to do just about anything. Maybe you have wheeled a lot, and seen more than anyone, but if I’m going to trust what anyone says about this issue, I’ll trust Eddie.

Shaneheberlein

Shaneheberlein

So you carry a welder also! That is smart

It’s not a trust thing. It was an opinion. And it’s always better to be same then sorry. You should protect the other week points also that Eddie hasn’t wreaked yet. Do what you think is right. But don’t base it off of one instance. Or do! It’s all in how and where you wheel will determine what you should do.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member

I once stayed at a Holiday Inn Express. :yup:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I may have. But my memory isn’t what it used to be. Next video ( rear skid )? I’m no internet wheeler. But the Jeep thing is new. So I’m watching and reading everything about the jl. I want mine reliable also.

No need, the drain bolt on the rear axle is on the SIDE of the diff like it should be and just like it was on the JK before. While I have been expecting the rear diff cover to peel back and leak, I'm happy to say that so far, it's been holding up well.

Shaneheberlein

No need, the drain bolt on the rear axle is on the SIDE of the diff like it should be and just like it was on the JK before. While I have been expecting the rear diff cover to peel back and leak, I'm happy to say that so far, it's been holding up well.

Others have had it peel back/ bolts mangled/ loosened up and starts to leak. Just like everything else. Time will tell.[emoji1303]

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Others have had it peel back/ bolts mangled/ loosened up and starts to leak. Just like everything else. Time will tell.[emoji1303]

As I said, "I have been expecting the rear diff cover to peel back and leak" but so far, "it's been holding up well." I have contemplated doing what I've done before on other axles and that was to simply grind the base of the diff cover lip so that it sits above the housing. That one step alone has made all the difference or at least, for me anyway.

JTCO

Meme King
.....But I have built a buggy that was in crawl magazine.....

Well, fuck. Sorry I didn't recognize you. My bad. This chick named Caitlyn made a magazine too and she's legit.

Either way, all is good. I carry a welder too so hopefully I have big enough balls to measure up to a badass jeeper. I just dream of the day that I can use my welder to secure an axle drain plug because the manufacturer put it in a fucked up location.

Cheers :beer:

Shaneheberlein

Well, fuck. Sorry I didn't recognize you. My bad. This chick named Caitlyn made a magazine too and she's legit.

Either way, all is good. I carry a welder too so hopefully I have big enough balls to measure up to a badass jeeper. I just dream of the day that I can use my welder to secure an axle drain plug because the manufacturer put it in a fucked up location.

If you’ve been around. You would know any diff with a third member has the plug on the bottom. Smart ass! Good luck to you and your arrogance.

NFRs2000NYC

Still trying to figure out WTF a welder is going to do on a trail when the plug unscrews, dumps out all your fluid, and you end up frying the guts lol.