3.6 or Turbo

Nissan

Which engine to choose?

Is there an article about choosing an engine type here?
3.6 liter engine
or
The engine is 2 liters turbo

And another question
Do alpha produce the motors in JL

Clark Griswold

Took my 2.0 in some pretty heavy mud and some decent climbs and Creek crossings this past weekend and man talk about impressive power. You can either go easy with tons of torque or hammer it and get an explosion of power for wheel speed. Super happy and can't wait to hit the dunes in the summer.

Sent from my moto g(6) play using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

Maxcustody

I got the 3.6 and glad I did.........motor has been around for a long time.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

NFRs2000NYC

If it wasn't for the 48V system, I wouldn't even look at the diesel or the 3.6. However, having a system like that, in a vehicle that's going to get beaten up on rocks, AND the system isn't built by Honda or Toyota, it's enough to keep me away. They are STILL having issues with hot 8.4" touchscreens, rebooting clusters, etc, so it's not for me. The fact that they added ESS and the dual battery setup is a real bummer as well.

Nissan

Alfa ??

The question is
Has FIAT touched the new engines
Or that the engines are still manufactured in the United States

Last edited:

Jurassic

Hi all, I am a new poster to the forums and thought this may be the place to share. I currently own a 2015 JK Sport and in November I ordered a JL Rubi. The jeep showed up at the dealership last week and I like it a lot. The JK was in a wreck (4th wreck) I have three teen age boys and I don't think I am going to try and rehab it. I decided to go buy another new Jeep and the entirety of the inventory was the 2.0. The dealership I do business with is River Oaks Jeep in Houston and they are the largest dealer in Texas and they claim to be one of the five largest by volume dealers in the US.

The dealership says that they can't get the 3.6 without having a customer special order them. If I want a 3.6, I have to order the Jeep and the factory is telling them the wait could be up to 3 months.

Clark Griswold

Hi all, I am a new poster to the forums and thought this may be the place to share. I currently own a 2015 JK Sport and in November I ordered a JL Rubi. The jeep showed up at the dealership last week and I like it a lot. The JK was in a wreck (4th wreck) I have three teen age boys and I don't think I am going to try and rehab it. I decided to go buy another new Jeep and the entirety of the inventory was the 2.0. The dealership I do business with is River Oaks Jeep in Houston and they are the largest dealer in Texas and they claim to be one of the five largest by volume dealers in the US.

The dealership says that they can't get the 3.6 without having a customer special order them. If I want a 3.6, I have to order the Jeep and the factory is telling them the wait could be up to 3 months.
The 3.6 is the majority engine of choice for reasons explained in the comments of this thread, I am not one to shy away from new technology so I went for the 2.0 and so far love it. Like anything else new only time will tell if there are any major issues that could pop up.

Sent from my moto g(6) play using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

Landshark99

I just bought a 2019 Rubicon with the 2.0l, loved the it drove and after having had over 8 turbo powered cars in the family over the years, not one ever had a turbo related issue, I feel good with choice, time will tell

smokinjeep

The reason for this is because that is the engogoing into the JT. I ordered my JL with the 3.6 and was told 6-8 weeks.

Crusifix

The reason for this is because that is the engogoing into the JT. I ordered my JL with the 3.6 and was told 6-8 weeks.

The only reason it isn't going into the JT is because the 48V battery won't fit due to the truck bed. and a few other items that needed to be shifted around. They tried their best to make it work, and aren't done yet. With some re-engineering they might get it into the JT in the next year or two.

Last edited:

SouthCo

The only reason it isn't going into the JT is because the 40V battery won't fit due to the truck bed. and a few other items that needed to be shifted around. They tried their best to make it work, and aren't done yet. With some re-engineering they might get it into the JT in the next year or two.

Several articles, noted on this forum, stated a reason the 2.0 turbo not offered on the JT was because the 3.6 was better suited for temperatures seen while towing.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cn...020-jeep-gladiator-no-turbo-engine-heres-why/

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.au...ont-offer-2-0l-four-cylinder-engine.html/?amp

Danny

Bought a 3.6 8spd auto. Love the way it drives. The fact that the JT won’t have the 2.0 turbo motor as an option says something to me. Jeep says the 3.6 is better suited to handle the towing the JT is rated for. I don’t plan to tow but that makes me believe the 3.6 is a more durable motor when pushed...
I have the 2.0T Sport. It really is the only choice for me. Since I already have a Rubicon TJ. Really love the inline 2.0T. With Shell 93 octane this is what I'm getting. I've never had a Jeep get even 20 mpg, so for me it's nice.20190502_093133.jpeg

Sent from my SM-G930V using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

SouthCo

I have the 2.0T Sport. It really is the only choice for me. Since I already have a Rubicon TJ. Really love the inline 2.0T. With Shell 93 octane this is what I'm getting. I've never had a Jeep get even 20 mpg, so for me it's nice.View attachment 10871

Sent from my SM-G930V using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

Yep my 3.6 is getting well over 20mpg too. I was surprised. Most Jeeps on the lots around here only have 2.0 and so people who don’t order have little choice. Glad you are as happy with yours as I am with my 3.6!

Last edited:

MrGiant

Concerning the 8spd auto....
IMO shifting and loadtransfer is a bit rough when rolling at about 20-30mph and traffic is accelerating extremely slow. I cant even surely tell if the transmisson temperature effects it

Talking about my 3.6, its awesome but I havent driven the 2.0 turbo. Power to displacement ratio made me choose the 3.6 since I think it holds up longer without overhaul

Mr.Giant - '92 YJ
Giant 2 - '18 JLUR

Last edited: