3.6 or Turbo

13_gecko_rubi

I love the whining sound of a supercharger on the drag strip or road, but after following a Jeep with one on a trail last year, it was so fucking annoying. There is no way I would ever put one on a Jeep that I use off-road.
I drove the hellcat Wrangler for about an hour one day. Was cool as hell for 15 min then annoying as hell for 45 lol

Sent via....

Spack

I’m in the same boat. I drove a 2.0 rubi and a 3.6 sport s on Monday. The 2.0 sounded like I was flogging a Yaris (never driven, only assume). Granted the gearing and tires are different, but the 3.6 felt just as quick as the turbo. I never really heard the turbo or wastegate in the rubi, just too quiet, I’d at least want to hear the gate open on decel. Being thrashy and more complex, I’ve decided against the 2.0 and stick with the tried and true 3.6

Sent from my iPhone using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

Jeepit85

Read there are also cooling lines to keep that battery cool.Another item to get ripped off during off road operation.
Don't get me wrong. I think this would be a great motor for off road.....

13_gecko_rubi

Read there are also cooling lines to keep that battery cool.Another item to get ripped off during off road operation.
Don't get me wrong. I think this would be a great motor for off road.....
There is another cooling circuit yes. And it's one more thing that could fail. But the lines are up above the driveshaft, would be hard to hit them off-road. After watching my buddy do burnouts on dry pavement with 40s in his 6.4 hemi JL that's going to be my direction though :)

Sent via....

NFRs2000NYC

There is another cooling circuit yes. And it's one more thing that could fail. But the lines are up above the driveshaft, would be hard to hit them off-road. After watching my buddy do burnouts on dry pavement with 40s in his 6.4 hemi JL that's going to be my direction though :)

Sent via....

I know you can't say, but Im really hoping the diesel doesn't have most of this stuff like BSG, 40V packs and any of that other nonsense. Hoping it's as "plain" as our ecodiesel GC.

Rickorich

The 2L DOES NOT REQUIRE PREMIUM. It is recommended for maximum performance but only 87 is required. With DI knock isn't really an issue as can control with injection timing. It doesn't drop much performance wise running 87 or 89. I would still run premium just because I'm not buying a performance engine to not have it at Max but you don't need to.

Sent via....

Great ...noted thanks, maybe save some coin at the pumps if need be or not having the choice? I'm just use to running 93-94 in all my turbos so made an assumption. I've had my share believe me but never in a Jeep....LOL.

13_gecko_rubi

Great ...noted thanks, maybe save some coin at the pumps if need be or not having the choice? I'm just use to running 93-94 in all my turbos so made an assumption. I've had my share believe me but never in a Jeep....LOL.
The other thing is thanks to Cali etc the tunes only help up to 91 octane even with the 93 octane most parts of the country have. Worst case mix 87 and 93 and get it close to 91. That's all the pump does to get other grades.

Sent via....

Last edited:

ddays v2

We test drove a Rubicon today and the wife is sold. The one she drove was the 2.0 turbo. I have no preconceived notions regarding the turbo or the I4, but I really wonder what to expect with the long term durability of the battery and it's associated parts/systems. I drive a shitload of miles and keep vehicles for a long time. My '12 Durango, which is my DD, is 600 miles away from 250k and still going strong. I'm hoping Gecko can chime in here? Anyone have any more good/bad experiences with this motor other than what's been written here?

ddays v2

We test drove a Rubicon today and the wife is sold. The one she drove was the 2.0 turbo. I have no preconceived notions regarding the turbo or the I4, but I really wonder what to expect with the long term durability of the battery and it's associated parts/systems. I drive a shitload of miles and keep vehicles for a long time. My '12 Durango, which is my DD, is 600 miles away from 250k and still going strong. I'm hoping Gecko can chime in here? Anyone have any more good/bad experiences with this motor other than what's been written here?

Bump back to the top on this. Anyone with the Turbo 4 have any input on this? Anyone bought the 4 and regret it? The long term durability of this system is a really big issue with me. Amy input would be appreciated. This week is "order week" for us.

dixonk

Bump back to the top on this. Anyone with the Turbo 4 have any input on this? Anyone bought the 4 and regret it? The long term durability of this system is a really big issue with me. Amy input would be appreciated. This week is "order week" for us.

My thinking on the subject and what made me choose the 3.6. If there is any doubt or a need to question the reliability of a particular engine, then it’s not an engine I want to own. The 3.6 rocks and I couldn’t be happier. I saved money on the price of the vehicle and in the future I will save money not having to worry about an expensive battery system, I will save money at the gas pump not having to pay for 91, and I will save money not having to worry about turbo maintenance.

The other thing that put me in a 3.6 is simply KISS.

omaremera

I had the 3.6L since 2012 in my JK. It was an amazing engine but this time, I decided to get the 2.0L. I love it so far and have no regrets.

aug0211

I’ve got a turbo 4, purchased in August and coming up on 5k miles. No issues and no concerns. I chose the turbo because I wanted the extra torque to help get my bigger 37s turning. And just because I like torque.

I think the decision for a turbo has to be one strictly for performance. I would not buy it trying to save money on gas. My guess is it’ll be a wash or too close to call with variables of altitude and driving style playing a big factor.

With regard to reliability, I don’t know if anyone can really answer that yet, it’s just too early. But if you’re worried about it, there’s no doubt that the 2.0 is more complex than the 3.6.

The 3.6 is also awesome with the new 8 speed, if you are going the auto route. That transmission is a HUGE upgrade that makes a big difference for the 3.6.

ddays v2

I ended up ordering the 3.6. The turbo does drive great, but the added hybrid systems scared me away a little.