Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 72

Thread: 3.6 or Turbo

  1. #1
    Fresh Catch
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    2

    3.6 or Turbo

    In the market for a new JL and deciding if I should go with the 3.6 or the 2.0 Turbo. Just sold my 13í Jk rubicon sitting on 37ís, geared down to 5.13ís.
    We go up to the mountains quite a bit, and more than likely will throw 37ís on the JL. Any recommendations/insights is greatly appreciated.

  2. #2
    Meme King WJCO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    Mom's Basement
    Posts
    2,758
    Quote Originally Posted by GreekJL View Post
    In the market for a new JL and deciding if I should go with the 3.6 or the 2.0 Turbo. Just sold my 13’ Jk rubicon sitting on 37’s, geared down to 5.13’s.
    We go up to the mountains quite a bit, and more than likely will throw 37’s on the JL. Any recommendations/insights is greatly appreciated.
    I just talked to a guy in a parking lot (here in CO) who has a JL with 37s, 3.6, and the 8 speed tranny. He said the power is amazing and he's even chirped the tires. He said that power train is badass. He said he goes up in the mountains around here nearly every weekend.

  3. #3
    Knows a Thing or Two NFRs2000NYC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    737
    Based on the sport I drove with 35s, a Rubicon with 37s should be plenty peppy....and from what I've seen, a Rubicon on 38s will be door to door with a JK on 40s with a ripp supercharger and proper gears. The turbo will probably have a bit more highway oomph, as well as EASILY get quite a bit more HP from exhaust, straight pipe, and tune, but that 48v system really scares me.

  4. #4
    That dude from Mississippi notnalc68's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    Madison, MS
    Posts
    1,832
    3.6.


    Sent from my iPhone using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

  5. #5
    Resident Smartass OverlanderJL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    NorCal
    Posts
    3,331
    Iím really want to drive a turbo but the 3.6 with the 8 speed is badass.


    Sent from my iPhone using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app
    2012 Jeep Jk
    1975 Jeep DJ5

  6. #6
    Been Around the Block
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    335
    The 3.6 with the 8 speed is great. The power is excellent.

    That said, I prefer (and went with) the 2.0 Turbo and 8 speed. I just love the torque. Itís slightly quieter than the 3.6, both while driving and at a stop - not sure whether I like that or not

    Drive them both and see what you think! You should be able to find one of each (even if the options arenít all the same) to compare.

    The 8 speed is so underrated, itís a massive improvement and makes both the 3.6 and 2.0T great options.


    Sent from my iPhone using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

  7. #7
    Nothing but a Thing doubletapdaddy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Location
    Colorado Springs
    Posts
    1,819
    Quote Originally Posted by aug0211 View Post
    The 8 speed is so underrated, itís a massive improvement and makes both the 3.6 and 2.0T great options.
    Sent from my iPhone using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app
    Why do you feel the 8-speed is so underrated?

  8. #8
    Been Around the Block
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    335
    Quote Originally Posted by doubletapdaddy View Post
    Why do you feel the 8-speed is so underrated?
    Because it is a drastic improvement over the previous transmission options, and all of the talk out there is on the 2.0T vs the 3.6.

    Many people seem to overlook the fact that both engines are great *and* the overall powertrain is a drastic improvement when selecting the 8-speed transmission.


    Sent from my iPhone using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

  9. #9
    Resident Smartass OverlanderJL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    NorCal
    Posts
    3,331
    Quote Originally Posted by aug0211 View Post
    Because it is a drastic improvement over the previous transmission options, and all of the talk out there is on the 2.0T vs the 3.6.

    Many people seem to overlook the fact that both engines are great *and* the overall powertrain is a drastic improvement when selecting the 8-speed transmission.


    Sent from my iPhone using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app
    I wouldnít say the 3.6 is a great engine.


    Sent from my iPhone using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app
    2012 Jeep Jk
    1975 Jeep DJ5

  10. #10
    Hooked darrenroos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2018
    Location
    Maricopa, AZ
    Posts
    181

    3.6 or Turbo

    Compared to the 3.8L in my 2010 JK, I love this 3.6L in my JL.



    Sent from my iPhone using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •