3.6 or Turbo

Arod412

Oh jeez... so I wonder what changed internally on the 2.0 turbo from 2018 and 2020 that will let it run with 87.

JTCO

Meme King
Well shit, it has changed just found the owners manual from the 2020

View attachment 15931

Oh jeez... so I wonder what changed internally on the 2.0 turbo from 2018 and 2020 that will let it run with 87.

Just reporting back on this thread after owning the 2.0L for awhile. We've been using 87 octane since we got it (about 2100 miles on it so far). I don't drive it much but I have a little bit more in the last couple of weeks. There's a few hills going up to our house and I noticed an exhaust leak sound or exhaust-like rattle accelerating on the uphills only. I'm pretty sure it was pinging. The last time I filled it up, I went with 91 octane and the noise is gone.

So I don't know if the owner's manual is a misprint, but I'm going to error on the side of caution and only use 91 or higher regardless. Many turbocharged manufacturers have recommended 91 for years for a better combustion burn.

Arod412

Just reporting back on this thread after owning the 2.0L for awhile. We've been using 87 octane since we got it (about 2100 miles on it so far). I don't drive it much but I have a little bit more in the last couple of weeks. There's a few hills going up to our house and I noticed an exhaust leak sound or exhaust-like rattle accelerating on the uphills only. I'm pretty sure it was pinging. The last time I filled it up, I went with 91 octane and the noise is gone.

So I don't know if the owner's manual is a misprint, but I'm going to error on the side of caution and only use 91 or higher regardless. Many turbocharged manufacturers have recommended 91 for years for a better combustion burn.
Interesting. How about 89 gas? Im just asking because I have a scat pack and 91+ gas is a big difference in price.

Owner of a 2020 Ram Laramie, 16 Dodge Charger scat pack and my wife 21 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara

JTCO

Meme King
Interesting. How about 89 gas? Im just asking because I have a scat pack and 91+ gas is a big difference in price.

Owner of a 2020 Ram Laramie, 16 Dodge Charger scat pack and my wife 21 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara

Not sure. Just being that the original manual said 91, I went with that. Have you had any issues with pinging on 87?

I have 28,000 on my JLUR 2.0L...have only ever put 87 in it, unless while traveling the gas station only had 91. Never had pinging. the 18 is e-Torque. The 20 is NOT. This may be why FCA put 87 for 20 2.0L's. That being said, I still only put 87 in the Jeep.

Arod412

Not sure. Just being that the original manual said 91, I went with that. Have you had any issues with pinging on 87?

Don’t know yet. My wife really just gets in and drives...she doesn’t pay attention to little things like that. Next time on our next off road excursion, I will have her fill up to 89 just to see how it feels.

We like to go to Wharton state park in South New Jersey to play, and I’m slowly teaching how the different 2h, 4h,4L settings in different sections of the trail.

Arod412

I have 28,000 on my JLUR 2.0L...have only ever put 87 in it, unless while traveling the gas station only had 91. Never had pinging. the 18 is e-Torque. The 20 is NOT. This may be why FCA put 87 for 20 2.0L's. That being said, I still only put 87 in the Jeep.

I don’t know what Jeep did between 19,20,21 models...because etorque was available for all engines, now it’s just on the 3.6L. I remember seeing some 19 models that had the 2.0 turbo and etorque

I don’t know what Jeep did between 19,20,21 models...because etorque was available for all engines, now it’s just on the 3.6L. I remember seeing some 19 models that had the 2.0 turbo and etorque

Hmmm...I was told by Jeep that 2.0L e-torque was only available on Sahara for 20. 21 e-torque was ditched on the 2.0L across the board but used on the 3.6L

Dale72

Caught the Bug

One of the dealers by me has a 21 JLUR 2.0 turbo etorque

Sent from my SM-G973U using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app