3.6 or Turbo

Jeeeep

I decided on the 3.6 because I felt it was the simpler setup of the two.

I liked the performance and additional mileage of the 2.0 but felt the complexity would tie me to the dealer for service.

ddays v2

I decided on the 3.6 because I felt it was the simpler setup of the two.

I liked the performance and additional mileage of the 2.0 but felt the complexity would tie me to the dealer for service.

I'm with ya on that. I keep vehicles for a loooong time. I didn't want to deal with potential battery replacement(s) & such on down the road.

Jeeeep

I'm with ya on that. I keep vehicles for a loooong time. I didn't want to deal with potential battery replacement(s) & such on down the road.

exactly, a lot to be said on being able to pick up a replacement battery pretty much anywhere and easy swap.

Poordad

This thread has pretty much helped me decide between the 3.6 and the 2.0. 3.6 it is for it's simplicity. Now I will have to wait for the diesel to compare and contrast those two engines! I have about two to three years to make my decision...

Clark Griswold

My dealer gave me a 20yr 200k limited warranty on my 2.0 so it was a no brainer, much smoother power than the 3.6 IMO. 2500 miles and no issues and great mileage to boot. Now if I can just stay within the rules of the warranty lol.

Sent from my moto g(6) play using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

Jr’s Jeep

My dealer gave me a 20yr 200k limited warranty on my 2.0 so it was a no brainer, much smoother power than the 3.6 IMO. 2500 miles and no issues and great mileage to boot. Now if I can just stay within the rules of the warranty lol.

Was this warranty for the engine, turbo and 48 volt system? Haven’t heard of a warranty with that term length.

Sent from my iPad using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

Clark Griswold

The warranty is on the full powertrain, the limited part is as the Jeep gets to a certain age and or miles you will pay a percentage of the repair bill and that percentage goes up a bit over time. It was no charge so even if I have to pay some out of pocket it will be a big saver.

Jr’s Jeep

The warranty is on the full powertrain, the limited part is as the Jeep gets to a certain age and or miles you will pay a percentage of the repair bill and that percentage goes up a bit over time. It was no charge so even if I have to pay some out of pocket it will be a big saver.

Interesting, I’ll have to look into that. Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SouthCo

Bought a 3.6 8spd auto. Love the way it drives. The fact that the JT won’t have the 2.0 turbo motor as an option says something to me. Jeep says the 3.6 is better suited to handle the towing the JT is rated for. I don’t plan to tow but that makes me believe the 3.6 is a more durable motor when pushed...

Last edited:

Jetboy

I have the 3.6 but think that the 2.0 turbo is going to really surprise most of you nay-sayers, turbo eco boost motors are the future. And ford has proved there eco last a long time. I did get a question-air from Jeep asking me why I didn’t buy the 2.0. Also asked why and if the lifetime warranty I bought had any barring on my power choice.
I must say my dealer and even Jeep themselves have contacted me monthly to ask how we like our JL and if we need anything. The answer is we love it and have had no issues at all. 2500miles

Piginajeep

I look at about 10-20 blown up Ford Eco Boost motors every week. Pistons and rods are sucking like Monica Lewinsky on those things.

Ford did such a great job on the 6.0 and 6.4 too. [emoji23]

2019 MP
2012 JK8
1958 FC170
1954 M38A1

offcamber

I had the 3.6L since 2012 in my JK. It was an amazing engine but this time, I decided to get the 2.0L. I love it so far and have no regrets.

I had the 3.6 in my 2012 JK as well. The 3.6 in the JL however is completely different. To me, it feels more like a v8 than the 3.6 did in my JK.

offcamber

I have the 3.6 but think that the 2.0 turbo is going to really surprise most of you nay-sayers, turbo eco boost motors are the future. And ford has proved there eco last a long time. I did get a question-air from Jeep asking me why I didn’t buy the 2.0. Also asked why and if the lifetime warranty I bought had any barring on my power choice.
I must say my dealer and even Jeep themselves have contacted me monthly to ask how we like our JL and if we need anything. The answer is we love it and have had no issues at all. 2500miles

My buddy had two engines in his 2017 Raptor replaced due one of the turbos grenading and spitting into the other which then spit into the engine blowing it up. I spoke with him earlier today and he now has an issue in his 2018...

Clark Griswold

I had the 3.6 in my 2012 JK as well. The 3.6 in the JL however is completely different. To me, it feels more like a v8 than the 3.6 did in my JK.
That 8 speed transmission is all the difference. I had the 3.6 in my 13 JKU and put over 100k miles on it with no issues, great engine but I have to say it never put a smile on my face like the 2.0 does, there is just a sense of holy shit when you hit the gas and can't believe it is such a small engine providing all that power.

JTCO

Meme King
.... but I have to say it never put a smile on my face like the 2.0 does, there is just a sense of holy shit when you hit the gas and can't believe it is such a small engine providing all that power.

Oh yeah. Totally. I had this sticker on one of my of my previously turbocharged vehicles on the passenger dashboard.

Funniest thing was when I sold it, and the guy buying it had his wife sit in the passenger seat when they test drove it. I was in the back but caught her looking at it, lol.

Turbo_warning_decal_square.jpg

Clark Griswold

Oh yeah. Totally. I had this sticker on one of my of my previously turbocharged vehicles on the passenger dashboard.

Funniest thing was when I sold it, and the guy buying it had his wife sit in the passenger seat when they test drove it. I was in the back but caught her looking at it, lol.

View attachment 9056
[emoji106][emoji106][emoji106][emoji106][emoji41]