TIME for a PROROCK 44? : JL Wrangler Rubicon with a Broken Front Axle Housing

notnalc68

That dude from Mississippi
Nope.

The housing isn't the problem. D60's generally break axle shafts first, then ring/pinions...and usually only r&ps if they're running alloy shafts/joints..and even then, it's still usually just axles. The 44 is simply a smaller r&p and much smaller shafts/joints. Granted, I'm talking at least 1.5" 35 spline inners and outers for the 60.

How many 60s have you run?

Doesn't matter what I say at this point...it will come across as elitist, so I'll say this: I view forums as places where we can all learn from each other and hopefully avoid mistakes by having the people who made them relate their experience. I've wasted the money building custom half tons that simply don't hold up to the abuse a 60 will. I was simply trying to impart that knowledge to save you guys some serious money in the long run (selling the half tons usually nets a hefty loss in the initial price paid).. But whatever....it's your guy's money and choice. I'm just saying that if/when my wife grenades her JLUR's front axle....we're stabbing a 60 or better in it. Considering the typical cost of a fully built Dynatrac PR44, I'd wager I can build a fairly custom D60 for the same or less money that is much stronger and rated to handle much larger tires with hydro assist or better steering.....

All that said, I just looked at a JK front housing only for a Dynatrac PR44. $2300 isn't too bad provided you can set up your own gears and it's a bolt-in direct swap. From that standpoint, if you busted the front end like pictured in this thread, ~$3K with chromoly shafts isn't crazy...but I'm betting it will have to be significantly higher priced for the JL b/c of the replacement of the gears and locker ....but now you're up to half the price of a 60 with upgraded inner/outer knuckles & arms, custom center, chromo shafts, 35 spline outers, locker, gears, master install, 3/4T discs etc....but that's doing a lot of the work yourself too. And then there's the 8 lug conversion to 5 lug...which boosts the price another $1K or so. You gotta pay to play, so to speak.

Everyone can’t build an axle, and I’d wager your junkyard 60 build would not beat a Dynatrac 60.

Sent from my iPhone using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

Sean K.

Everyone can’t build an axle, and I’d wager your junkyard 60 build would not beat a Dynatrac 60.

Sent from my iPhone using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

I'd guarantee a junkyard 60 wouldn't beat a Dynatrac ProRock 60 housing...which is why I suggested to get a Dynatrac PR60 (or another built 60) over a PR44. Never implied a boneyard 60 would beat a custom 60. The Dynatrac is more than just a housing too...they've upgraded a lot of components from balljoints to (IIRC) the bearings used on the internals....but most guys I know (I've wheeled with Shannon Campbell, Tracy Jordan, Don Robbins...and was a co-driver in the Warn National Rock Crawling Championships back in the day) aren't breaking those parts anyway.

Life is funny....I wasn't born with the ability to build axles either. The fact that I'm not independently wealthy (most of us aren't) meant I'd have to learn a lot of things and do them myself. To me, Jeeping is a lifestyle. Not everyone will agree. Personally, I like the challenge of building stuff and knowing how to fix the vehicle when you break it in the middle of nowhere is a big advantage to me. Again....not everyone will agree.

Last edited:

gonefirefighting

The irony is "most" JL buyers will run stock gearing and 37"s until something breaks and the will look for a better replacement and will find that most options will be out of their price range. Thus the 44 will suit most of those needs. I myself am patiently waiting for a good 60 setup once there is a decent long arm avaibale for the JL. I know I am going to toss the fad and never look back at such a horrible design. But I digress to the fact that no "wheeler" buys a jeep without mods planned.

Sean K.

The irony is "most" JL buyers will run stock gearing and 37"s until something breaks and the will look for a better replacement and will find that most options will be out of their price range. Thus the 44 will suit most of those needs. I myself am patiently waiting for a good 60 setup once there is a decent long arm avaibale for the JL. I know I am going to toss the fad and never look back at such a horrible design. But I digress to the fact that no "wheeler" buys a jeep without mods planned.

I hear you there....CAD/FAD is the dumbest design ever. If most Americans weren't so lazy and the penny pinchers at FCA weren't so proficient at their jobs, we could still get actual manual hubs to improve mileage. Se la vie.

ALRUI

I'm wondering more why they're running two different brands of tires up front. I wonder what they're running in the back.

It's not just a Jeep, it's an amusement park on wheels.

Wondering if maybe was blew out or lost air so the installed a spare to get it on the wrecker??

YAHAHA

Wondering if maybe was blew out or lost air so the installed a spare to get it on the wrecker??

That would mean a mismatched spare on the Jeep, which is possible. I'm thinking that both fronts might have blown out and they borrowed somebody else's spare.

It's not just a Jeep, it's an amusement park on wheels.