Jl lift questions.

YOUJLUS

So I’m doing my research and trying to decide with what lift to go with. Either a 2.5 or 3.5 lift to deal with the 37s. Trying to keep it a little lower since I bought this for my wife who’s is 5’1”. Trying to make it easier on her with the kids until I get sliders.

Has anyone does the basics Evo mfg 2.5” lift with just the springs and shock extensions? How’s the steering feel? They still seem like they sit flatter than how the jks did. Just worried about caster and the bump steer. Learning from the jk, I’d like to purchase all four long arms. But have heard people say they ride fine with just the front lowers.

Also with the 2.5 are track bars needed? Seems with the rubicon model they sit an inch or so higher so it would net about 3.5”?

Sent from my iPhone using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
So I’m doing my research and trying to decide with what lift to go with. Either a 2.5 or 3.5 lift to deal with the 37s. Trying to keep it a little lower since I bought this for my wife who’s is 5’1”. Trying to make it easier on her with the kids until I get sliders.

Has anyone does the basics Evo mfg 2.5” lift with just the springs and shock extensions? How’s the steering feel? They still seem like they sit flatter than how the jks did. Just worried about caster and the bump steer. Learning from the jk, I’d like to purchase all four long arms. But have heard people say they ride fine with just the front lowers.

Also with the 2.5 are track bars needed? Seems with the rubicon model they sit an inch or so higher so it would net about 3.5”?

Being that you're wanting to keep your JL a little more accessible for your wife and kids, I personally would recommend that you go with a 2.5" lift. However, I would not recommend shock extensions as the factory shocks will not be able to keep up with the added unsprung weight of your new bigger and heavier wheels and tires.

Regarding caster, I think you'll find that the JL handles just fine with just 2.5" of lift. BUT, if you needed, you could definitely add drop brackets or just front lowers to give you more positive caster. Unlike the JK, the FAD on the JL will allow you to run more caster without significant ill effect.

YOUJLUS

Being that you're wanting to keep your JL a little more accessible for your wife and kids, I personally would recommend that you go with a 2.5" lift. However, I would not recommend shock extensions as the factory shocks will not be able to keep up with the added unsprung weight of your new bigger and heavier wheels and tires.

Regarding caster, I think you'll find that the JL handles just fine with just 2.5" of lift. BUT, if you needed, you could definitely add drop brackets or just front lowers to give you more positive caster. Unlike the JK, the FAD on the JL will allow you to run more caster without significant ill effect.

Thanks for the fast response! Yeah so far it seems everyone has been fine without control arms. Guess it’ll give me money towards the shocks then.

Dank

I just install the EVO 2/1/2 inch lift with the adjustable arms and started the caster setting at 4.6 and found the Jeep to be a little "wandering" with that caster setting. I then went two turns on the JJ and now have a caster of 6 and the jeep tracks very well and returns to center nicely after a turn. Knowing that that that's is a bit outside of the OEM range (4.8 plus/minus 1) i'll run it this way for a while too see if there are any long term downside effects. Anyone else running 6 plus caster after a lift?

WiscoHR

I just install the EVO 2/1/2 inch lift with the adjustable arms and started the caster setting at 4.6 and found the Jeep to be a little "wandering" with that caster setting. I then went two turns on the JJ and now have a caster of 6 and the jeep tracks very well and returns to center nicely after a turn. Knowing that that that's is a bit outside of the OEM range (4.8 plus/minus 1) i'll run it this way for a while too see if there are any long term downside effects. Anyone else running 6 plus caster after a lift?

I’m running the same lift with 5.8 caster. Tracks great and no issues in the 8000 miles I’ve put on it. Thanks to the FAD the front driveshaft has not had any issues so far.