Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Alpine Speaker Rattle when talking

Fresh Catch

Alpine Speaker Rattle when talking

I have a JLUR with the Alpine infotainment system. The front speakers have developed a rattle when on talk radio. I donít really notice it on music stations or on non-talk media. When I put the balance in the rear it goes away even on talk.

I guess the Alpine speakers just need to be replaced with better ones. Any suggestions?

Sent from my iPad using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

Both or front driver's side?

I experience a rattle during phone calls when my iPhone is plugged in but not when connected with Bluetooth. Iíve tried swapping cables still happens. The Apple Music sounds fine though.

Sent from my iPhone using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

Knows a Thing or Two NFRs2000NYC's Avatar
    Is it all speakers or one in particular? Also, it only happens on talk radio, ie Howard Stern or with music/phone calls sometimes too?

Been Around the Block
    Subscribed. I have this as well. Alpine upgrade. Both front speakers on the dash near the windshield make the ďrattleĒ sound specifically for spoken word (talk radio, audio book, phone call, etc.).

It IS the speaker itself making the noise, not the speaker grill or any other plastic around it, etc.

Popped off the speaker cover, removed a speaker, and replaced with another factory replacement speaker (same part ID).

Problem not solved. Swapped back to the original speaker, even though theyíre identical.

My thought was maybe a bad crossover setting thatís letting too much bass through these speakers.

Quote Originally Posted by aug0211 View Post
    Subscribed. I have this as well. Alpine upgrade. Both front speakers on the dash near the windshield make the ďrattleĒ sound specifically for spoken word (talk radio, audio book, phone call, etc.).

It IS the speaker itself making the noise, not the speaker grill or any other plastic around it, etc.

Popped off the speaker cover, removed a speaker, and replaced with another factory replacement speaker (same part ID).

Problem not solved. Swapped back to the original speaker, even though theyíre identical.

My thought was maybe a bad crossover setting thatís letting too much bass through these speakers.

Interesting.... I noticed this for the first time this past weekend when it was raining a bit. I never heard it before. Now that itís warmed up, I donít hear it.

Need to pay more attention to confirm itís not there or just not with certain channels/talk format.

Been Around the Block

Alpine Speaker Rattle when talking

Quote Originally Posted by JAGS View Post
    Interesting.... I noticed this for the first time this past weekend when it was raining a bit. I never heard it before. Now that itís warmed up, I donít hear it.

Need to pay more attention to confirm itís not there or just not with certain channels/talk format.
    Call this number when you want to test. Itís an automated voice/machine, so you can call any time of day without bothering anyone, and can get consistent/reproducible results.

(800) 972-3030‬

For me, this has been the most consistent way to reproduce the sounds.

I have played with the EQ a bit and thought for a while that bass contributed to the issue, but am not 100% sure of that.

I have a rattle in the same area as well. At first I thought it was the speakers but what I found is the noise is coming from both sun visors. Try moving the visors down a bit to see if the noise stops. I added a small stick on foam rubber pad to the sun visor below the rubber bumper in the trim panel, problem solved.
    The Universe Rewards Action!

Been Around the Block
    Quote Originally Posted by JeepFan View Post
    I have a rattle in the same area as well. At first I thought it was the speakers but what I found is the noise is coming from both sun visors. Try moving the visors down a bit to see if the noise stops. I added a small stick on foam rubber pad to the sun visor below the rubber bumper in the trim panel, problem solved.
    This is a great point. There could be multiple sources of a rattle. Itís worth checking your visors, the kick panel area below the dash, and your speakers.

In my case, by removing the speaker cover and the screws that hold the speaker in place, but pulling it out while the plug was still connected, I was able to confirm 100% that itís my speaker that is crackling/rattling/etc.

If you have a sound like this, JeepFan has a great point, itís worth trying some of the other places - simply applying pressure to those spots can help confirm.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast