VIDEO : TRADITION - A Rubicon Trail Adventure in Our Jeep JL Wrangler

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Another great video, thanks!!

I had the same initial thoughts after the few yards of Rubicon trail back in early July - that additional 2" of wheelbase really makes the JLU scrape a lot more than I was anticipating. I've never left so much undercarriage paint on any trail before :icon_crazy: I'll be watching your decisions as you move into a slightly taller lift.

:cheesy: I think I left more than just paint on the trail :crazyeyes:

Great video! What's equipped on the wrangler sport? What's the min mods you would suggest when doing the rubicon trail? What psi are your tires set at? Sorry for all the questions. Planning on doing the trail next year so I want to prepare myself.

The dozer JK 2-door Sport is running 37's on locked up 44's. Regarding "minimum" mods for running the Rubicon goes - tow points and rocker guards. So long as you have a better equipped friend along for the run, you should be good to go. Now, to have a good time on the trail, I would recommend no less than 2" of lift and 35" tires. Being locked up will help even more but it's not required. PSI really depends on if you have beadlocks or not but typically, around 12 is a good place to be for most people.

Awesome video and what an adventure! I know it's the Rubicon and all but 27:25 made me cringe! Ouch!

Had a question about Tessa, do yall have any kind of harness for her while she rides in the Jeep? We often wheel with our dog Marley but not without the doors off as I'm afraid he would lean/fall out. :thumb:

Yup, Tessa is on a harness that we secure to the seat belt using a real climbers carabiner. You really don't want to cheap out and use a key chain clip or anything like that here.

Once again, great video. It didn’t seem like an hour long, I guess that’s what you get with a good story. I was going to ask awhile back if you were still running the factory steering stabilizer or if you upgraded, now I know. What are your plans to replace it?

Now this is an interesting question and one that I was hoping to address in a video in the future. Since this video, I have run our JL without any stabilizer, with a Rough Country stabilizer and factory again and what I can tell you is that there really is a difference in how each one feels. With that said, driving without any stabilizer will leave you feeling a lot more feedback from the road and to the point where if you have any loose or worn out components, you'd probably get death wobble. Obviously, the factory stabilizer does a great job of smoothing this out and the difference is very noticeable. HOWEVER, the Rough Country one, while it did help dampen some of the feedback, it didn't do near as much as factory so I definitely wouldn't waste your money on one of them.

Might be able to cover most of it up with a rock panel.. lol the trail was fun this year. Good I got to complete it. Think I ended up putting pas slider on that rock. I’m thinking I may have to get the diff skids now as well..

LOL!! eh, it's already been fixed and it's all good. The diff skid is pretty much the only options available to protect the drain bolt.

Now you’re talking. Maybe you could speed things up a bit ....I’ve got money burning a hole in my pocket. [emoji6] Lol. [emoji23]

:cheesy: Stay tuned :)

Looks like a ton of fun was had. Great video Eddie and Cindy, well done!

Thank you, we're so glad you liked it :)

Trail Bud

I wanted to watch the whole thing in one sitting so I’m posting late.
In a word WOW!! Just loved the video showing the sights, the issues, the good times. As Bob said this was a life event. Something you remember for life.
Thanks for the memories!!
Til next time.

Rellik

In a word WOW!! Just loved the video showing the sights, the issues, the good times. As Bob said this was a life event. Something you remember for life.
Til next time.
Trail Bud you are one funny dude. Not sure how you all did the Rubicon belly laughing all the way through. I was wondering why you guys had stopped on the slabs above buck island had i known there was a squirt gun fight.....:D

doubletapdaddy

Caught the Bug
Really enjoyed the video. Easily could have watched another hour. Love, love, love the drone footage... what a great addition. Have you considered taking any of your old iron out? Maybe Calamity Jane? Anyways, thanks for all you do.

wibornz

I enjoyed the video. A little bit a hardship often makes a trip a better memory in the future. Your videos are how I envision my future off road trips to be. Good friends, good times, great views, over coming problem and some good food and booze. Perfect life in my eyes.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Til next time.

Saw your post over on WAYALIFE but missed it here. So glad that you and Bob were able to join us for this one. :thumb:

I passed you guys on the way out, didnt even get a wave, lol

On a side note the stock exhaust is a heavy clunky junk pile. get the rock crawler exhaust https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07B8PT2P...olid=12QF8WMGI8KL5&psc=0&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it . it sounds great and is tucked up away and will never touch anything.

Oh man, sorry about that. Trail Bud was having death wobble issues on our way out and we may have been a little preoccupied on the radio during that time.

Regarding exhausts, the OE one may be big and clunky but I really like the sound of it. My biggest problem with exhausts like the one you posted a link to is that they often sound like shit. I should note, I have tested a bunch over the years and although they're very functional, the drone MOST have drive me nuts.

Loved every minute!!! a great one!!:):)

So glad to hear it :)

Really enjoyed the video. Easily could have watched another hour. Love, love, love the drone footage... what a great addition. Have you considered taking any of your old iron out? Maybe Calamity Jane? Anyways, thanks for all you do.

We've taken Pappy and Emma out before we fixed her up but Rusty is a bit long in all the wrong places and Jane, well, we made the mistake of making her too nice. :crazyeyes:

I enjoyed the video. A little bit a hardship often makes a trip a better memory in the future. Your videos are how I envision my future off road trips to be. Good friends, good times, great views, over coming problem and some good food and booze. Perfect life in my eyes.

Awesome, we're so glad to hear it and so glad you enjoyed the video. :cool:

DavidDJL69

Great video once again, Eddie and Cindy. Thanks for sharing your experiences with us. As an aside, the rubber welting you posted on a video has worked wonderfully in our two weeks in Moab. No rocks, no chips, no errors. Thanks helping FCA with that one! One question on your Rubicon trip. Would you be willing to share what tire pressure you aired down to? Thanks. And because of your trip, I’ll be watching for diff cover skids to prevent what happened to you on the trail. Again, thanks for helping out the rest of us with your info sharing.

Sent from my iPad using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Great video once again, Eddie and Cindy. Thanks for sharing your experiences with us. As an aside, the rubber welting you posted on a video has worked wonderfully in our two weeks in Moab. No rocks, no chips, no errors. Thanks helping FCA with that one! One question on your Rubicon trip. Would you be willing to share what tire pressure you aired down to? Thanks. And because of your trip, I’ll be watching for diff cover skids to prevent what happened to you on the trail. Again, thanks for helping out the rest of us with your info sharing.

So glad to hear you enjoyed our video and that we were able to share our fender welt solution with you. :cool:

Regarding tire psi, on this particular trip, we only went down to about 14 psi. I should note that we typically go lower, more like 8-10 but being that we were lacking ground clearance as it was, we didn't want to lose anymore than we needed to.

DavidDJL69

So glad to hear you enjoyed our video and that we were able to share our fender welt solution with you. :cool:

Regarding tire psi, on this particular trip, we only went down to about 14 psi. I should note that we typically go lower, more like 8-10 but being that we were lacking ground clearance as it was, we didn't want to lose anymore than we needed to.

Thanks Eddie. Much appreciated. The Rubicon video was epic on many levels. Good to go with good friends to share the joy/misery!

Sent from my iPad using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app