JL Review.....from a JKUR owner.

NFRs2000NYC

So while I regularly browse and participate on the forum, I am NOT currently a JL owner. Still rockin' my 2014 JKUR patiently waiting for the JL diesel. So as I lurked on the forum, I haven't actually driven a JL, so I didn't really have any hands on experience with one, so I couldn't really participate in any meaningful JL discussions.

The last 10 days, the wife and I took a trip to Hawaii, we did the big island and Kauai on our last trip, so this one we decided to visit Oahu and Maui. For Oahu I just had a basic rental (Nissan Altima) but for Maui, I wanted to drive the Hana road all the way around, which you are NOT allowed to do with a regular rental car, they expressly forbid it, and while plenty of people still do it, I didn't want to deal with the hassle (not knowing what's there) with breaking something on a cheapo rental...so I was looking to rent a wrangler...the big rental companies also forbid you to take wranglers to the backside, and again, paranoid me, not sure if they have trackers in their cars or whatnot, I didn't want to risk it. So I began looking for some way to get a jeep AND get the ok to go anywhere I wanted. After some searching, I found a company called "Maui Lifted Jeep Rentals"....

*disclaimer*

I have no affiliation to this company at all, have no ties or links to them, just a happy customer.

So after browsing their site, I noticed they have 2 JLs in their fleet, one was a soft top, something I definitely wanted for Hawaii....so I made a reservation, and picked it up. Owner is a nice guy from Texas, picked us up at the airport, and drove us to his facility where our JL was ready to be picked up. It was on a 3" lift (I think it was BDS, don't remember, website lists the mods), fuel wheels, 35" tires, metal side steps, and dual steering stabilizers. I had it for 2 full days plus a morning, so think of this as the ULTIMATE test drive. It was a sport model, with the v6, and while I don't know what gears, I assume he got the cheapest floor model (although it did have the Alpine stereo) so take my comments with a grain of salt...not sure what gear options are available on the sports, probably the 3.73s?

Initial impressions.... I had no idea what to expect...maybe like my JKUR with better interior stuff and a new look, again, no idea. I get in, start it...immediately notice it is a little quieter and a little smoother even idling, and even with the soft top (mine is a hard top.) It was warm, and he must have just driven it, because the radiator fan kicked on basically right away, and god damn it's loud. Didn't really bother me, but it is super loud...but a small price to pay for it moving a lot of air to make sure it stays at good operating temp. Put it in the drive and pull out of the lot.....

Immediately notice how much smoother the shifter is compared to the JK auto...night and day. The ride is....well, there is no other word for it....compared to the JK, it's sublime. It feels like driving a lexus. Im sure the lift/mods on that thing weren't of the highest quality, but it was super smooth, Steering felt communicative (although it did have that center deadspot everyone keeps crying about) and direct, and the effort was minimal, super easy to drive. Also when loading the luggage, I noticed how much smoother the tailgate is compared to the JK...felt lighter AND sturdier at the same time...and it did have a 35" tire hanging on the back. Rear visibility was superior to the JKU as well. So driving was a night and day difference....and then you hit the gas...the transmission is a thing of beauty. Passing is effortless. It would absolutely smoke my JKUR on 35s with the 5 speed auto. Power is smooth, seamless, and plenty of it. Hard to believe it's essentially the same engine. Feels like a 100hp difference between the two vehicles.

Driving at night on poorly lit roads, I was shocked how good (compared to the JK) the OEM headlights/fogs are and I am NOT talking about the LEDs. The JK setup IMHO was downright dangerous...like driving around with candles, the JL actually illuminated the road...I can only imagine how good the LED are. The alpine stereo, compared to the JK, is also superb. Bass is clean and potent, mids are solid, highs are a little weak but that can be easily remedied with some aftermarket speakers/tweeters in OEM locations....but again, compared to the JK, night and day.

Now, the problems....sadly, there were some, and they were the common ones. This JL had the small screen (base) and we plugged in my iphone for navigation, stream amazon music, etc....first, the USB port (dash mounted) didn't work....then it worked, then the headunit reset itself, then it worked again, then it would reset itself again...which seems to be a common problem. This JL had 6600 miles on the ODO, but I've read about the USB issue quite a bit. Next problem was the TPMS...all 4 tires were reading correctly, and the correct pressure, but it still randomly threw a TPMS idiot light from time to time. Again, seems to be a common issue without explanation at this point. These two electronic issues were repeated multiple times a day.

Other than those two issues, everything else ran smoothly and without incident. The electronic issues are annoying (and slightly concerning considering how much electrical stuff they are adding with the battery setups) but I think the rest of the package is SUCH an upgrade, one would be crazy not to get a JL vs a JK. I am glad I got to experience such a long test drive, and best of all, on a modified JL, so I can get a really good experience and collect as much info as I needed to make the decision when the time comes....which is I will definitely be switching over.

43551731730_b86ce20c14_b.jpg

44644094314_98286946a6_b.jpg

Last edited:

YAHAHA

Great write up.

How did you enjoy the road to Hana? We drove that road on a rented Harley and it was a blast! Until it started raining... the entire way back. But it was Hawaii so it was warm and not a big deal.

Do you have more pictures from the drive?

It's not just a Jeep, it's an amusement park on wheels.

JTCO

Meme King
Agreed. Great write up. I've rode in a JL and definitely feel more comfort than the JK. Are the rainbow trees still out there along the road? I did that trip many many years ago and remember that.

ddays v2

Nice review and it's spot on to what my test drive experience was. I think a lot of people see the JL and think because it's so close in appearance to them that it's basically an updated JK. It's not. These are night and day. The one I drove rode as nicely as my Durango. The interior is downright plush for a Wrangler and that 8 speed tranny is tits (I set teed that one up for ya WJCO ;)) I love my Jk for what it is, but can't wait to get my JL for my DD.

WiscoHR

Great review. I have just under 12k miles on mine right now and everything has been great. I think my favorite part is the new transmission. My JK would fight me on the expressway with 33s. The JL will cruise all day at 80+ on 37s no problem.

Sent from my iPhone using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

NFRs2000NYC

I don't have anymore pics from the drive (of the jeep) but do have pics of the locations we stopped at to explore. I'll make a separate thread in the destinations sections for that. Hana road was pretty cool, lots of interesting things. The backside was definitely interesting, really rough in some sections, but it didn't stop a dodge caravan and a convertible mustang from following me. The caravan realized it was a bad idea about a mile into it and smartly decided to turn back and go back the way he came. The mustang followed me...I lost him obviously, but he caught up to me over an hour later (I pulled over for a sunset photo and waited for 40 minutes) and he said he was crawling over those 10 miles at walking pace. It is mostly buckled blacktop (looks like stucco or a frosted cake) which was horrid to drive on, and pothole filled dirt roads...and it rained so it was muddy as well. I can't imagine he had ANY fun going over that. JL did great, would be even better if I aired down a bit but didn't feel like doing it lol.

NFRs2000NYC

Oh, and I forgot to mention the brakes...even with the 35s, the brakes inspire confidence, excellent feel, and excellent stopping. The JK brakes...that's like stepping on a marshmallow and stopping distances rival those of a diesel locomotive with a mile long train car chain. The JL brakes feel and perform like a normal vehicle.

Mud Bug

I love this review. I cannot wait to get my hands on my JL and allow my sister to give it a test drive. She had ordered the 2018 JK Rubicon (and has had it exactly 1 year now this month) because she feels the JLs are ugly. :thinking:

Jeep_Wrangled

Great review. I wonder if that USB issue is only on the smaller units. I have the 8.4” screen in my Sahara and use an iPhone X with it all the time. Bluetooth and CarPlay work seamless ever time. The one time I had an issue it was because the lightning cord had a short, once I replaced it I haven’t had a problem since!

Sent from my iPhone using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

NFRs2000NYC

I've read about the USB issue with all the headunits, as well as both locations (console and dash.) It's obviously a software related issue, so I suspect it should be fixed in the near future.

NFRs2000NYC

Oh, and MPG I was EASILY doing mid 20s on the highway, and high teens in the city with slower driving, and high teens when on Hana road (no traffic but slow going.) My JK wouldn't hit those numbers on its best day.