Death wobble on 2018 JLU Sport (stock)

dirt jedi

I've tried a few searches, but have not readily found any relevant posts discussing this, so please forgive me if I've missed existing ones (and please share tips on searching JL Wrangler if I am missing existing content on this topic - - Thank you)

I've had my 2018 JLU Sport for about 7,500 miles (got it in May of 2018) and have had it off road about 5 times. Always have been gentle, save for the occasional less-than-elegant trail bump. I have mostly been on relatively smooth fire roads, and some have had a few braking bumps and embedded rocks up to ~melon in size (but I don't fly over those, instead I usually steer around them or slow down for the smaller softball-sized ones).

Cutting to the chase, I experience the famed death wobble on freeways, and have been for the past 2-3 months. It usually strikes on a stretch of the I-110 North, heading into Downtown Los Angeles (for those familiar with the area). This weekend, I experienced it 4 times after taking it on a short off road excursion at Gorman (Hungry Valley). This was the first time I aired down (from 36 psi recommended street pressure to 25 psi). The feel, off road, was immensely better, by the way. However, after getting back on the freeway afterward, it struck pretty hard between 50-55 mph. Each time, it felt as if the steering wheel was being violently shaken from my grip (it was hard to hold on). I was driving slow since I was still aired-down since there was no convenient gas station where I exited the park. It came back 3 more times before I found the first gas station and aired back up to 36 psi.

After that, it only hit one more time, and much milder.

Any thoughts from those with more experience? I realize that it IS possible that a bushing, or other component in the front-end steering assembly could have worn very prematurely, but 7.500 miles seems remarkably low for a gently driven, brand new vehicle in the modern age of 2018...

I plan to have a look, underneath, this week with a friend articulating the steering wheel as suggested in the Wayalife video.

Mainly, wondering what you all think I should do.

Thanks, and appreciate any help you can offer.

Eric

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Welcome to JLWRANGLER.

Not that it would be the "cause" of death wobble but I would double check your steering stabilizer to make sure that it hasn't been damaged off road and that the bolts securing it to your axle and tie-rod are tight. There are additional bolts that secure the stabilizer bracket to the tie rod that need to be checked as well. At the very least, this should help mitigate your death wobble.

Next, if you don't have one already, buy yourself a good torque wrench and a 21mm socket/wrench. Double check that your front track bar bolts are tightened to 125 ft. lbs. of torque. More than likely, you have a bolt that has worked itself loose and that WOULD cause death wobble to occur.

dirt jedi

Wow! That was a quick reply, this is a very cool forum indeed. I have plenty of tools, but a torque wrench is overdue. Will come in handy for doing tire rotations, too. Ok, I'll take your advice, and will post my findings.

Unrelated.... but what happened to Rubicat? Did you guys sell it? Love the Project JK vids, and have enjoyed the newer ones in JET Li too. Excited to watch what develops with the next J(?) Experience, too... JX Experience, perhaps? :) "Welcome to the 2018 JX Experience, presented by ____ Tire!" (yep, I've seen Keep it Tight, Wild West, Pacific Northwest, and Heartland - - loved them all, and rewatch some bits weekly to get the weekend momentum flowing).

Eric

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Wow! That was a quick reply, this is a very cool forum indeed. I have plenty of tools, but a torque wrench is overdue. Will come in handy for doing tire rotations, too. Ok, I'll take your advice, and will post my findings.

Unrelated.... but what happened to Rubicat? Did you guys sell it? Love the Project JK vids, and have enjoyed the newer ones in JET Li too. Excited to watch what develops with the next J(?) Experience, too... JX Experience, perhaps? :) "Welcome to the 2018 JX Experience, presented by ____ Tire!" (yep, I've seen Keep it Tight, Wild West, Pacific Northwest, and Heartland - - loved them all, and rewatch some bits weekly to get the weekend momentum flowing).

Eric

Here's a torque wrench that has been working well for me and doesn't cost too much
https://amzn.to/2NJpOxk

Regarding Rubicat, yes, we sold here. After getting JET, she just sat in the garage and it was sad. Her new owner is taking her out and having a good time.

JTCO

Meme King
Also ensure ball joint nuts are tight and that the joints themselves don't have play. You can check them by jacking up the axle, and then put a large board or shovel under the tire and pry upward. You shouldn't see anything loose. I've heard of a couple guys having to re-torque their ball joint nuts even after delivery.

Bottom line, for death wobble to occur, something has to be loose somewhere. If you've had a tire rotation recently, it could even be lug nuts left loose.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Also ensure ball joint nuts are tight and that the joints themselves don't have play. You can check them by jacking up the axle, and then put a large board or shovel under the tire and pry upward. You shouldn't see anything loose. I've heard of a couple guys having to re-torque their ball joint nuts even after delivery.

Bottom line, for death wobble to occur, something has to be loose somewhere. If you've had a tire rotation recently, it could even be lug nuts left loose.

Yup, this ^^^^. The ball joints really shouldn't be bad but we have seen a few cases where the lower nuts were loose from the factory.

Nicorumiz

Yup, this ^^^^. The ball joints really shouldn't be bad but we have seen a few cases where the lower nuts were loose from the factory.
The question is....
Is it better to have tighter nuts to align the cotter pin or slightly loose?

I check my driver side and the top but was fine but the lower loose....not much tho.

So, for me was either loosen it a bit to add the pin or tighten it.

What is the best option and what are the downside of a tighter bolt?

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

WiscoHR

Don’t tighten over the torque spec. But I really don’t think the ball joints are your problem. The way the pins on them are tapered, even if the nut is slightly loose you shouldn’t notice anything. It would take a big hit to knock them loose enough to effect handling. I would look at the track bar first, check the torque and the frame welds.

Sent from my iPhone using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app