Tuffy Tailgate Lockbox Installed!

Yesterday I installed the tailgate lockbox, and it is NICE. I did modify it slightly. I cut a little over a quarter inch off the spacers to get it closer to the tailgate. Without doing that, there was a big gap that I didn't like. Anyway, install was a breeze. Next up will be to put some rubberized tool drawer liner in it to protect things and keep them quiet if they bump around a bit.

It has just enough room for my tennis racket bag. You know, that racket bag would fit perfectly in there with a Tavor SAR conceiled in it, along with some 30 round mags on the shelf, if I happened to have one. Tennis anyone? ;)
yEqq4sZ.jpg
HTdgzLC.jpg

GregM

Neat. Looks like the perfect solution for you. Still extra room for other items as well.

Good to know about the spacers. Thanks for sharing the installed pics.

Rgk401

Yesterday I installed the tailgate lockbox, and it is NICE. I did modify it slightly. I cut a little over a quarter inch off the spacers to get it closer to the tailgate. Without doing that, there was a big gap that I didn't like. Anyway, install was a breeze. Next up will be to put some rubberized tool drawer liner in it to protect things and keep them quiet if they bump around a bit.

It has just enough room for my tennis racket bag. You know, that racket bag would fit perfectly in there with a Tavor SAR conceiled in it, along with some 30 round mags on the shelf, if I happened to have one. Tennis anyone? ;)
yEqq4sZ.jpg
HTdgzLC.jpg

Where did you get it from,Iv been looking and can’t find anything!!!!!

Another quick note...It does rub slightly on the storage cubby lid in the cargo floor. It isn't a big deal, though, IMO. It just makes for a snug fit when shutting the tailgate, between that and the slight rub of the 315 tire on the bumper lip. The good news is that those two issues take a little bit of the load off the tailgate. Lol!

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Very cool and thanks for posting up the pics! I just picked up one of their security decks and hope to find some time to get it installed soon.

HoundDude

i love this idea, absolutely love it. but in NJ, even tennis racquets are probably illegal. and i mean real tennis racquets... the bad guy my get a headache or something if you hit him with it. can't have that. i really gotta get out of this state :-(

Sent from my Pixel C using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

Rgk401

i love this idea, absolutely love it. but in NJ, even tennis racquets are probably illegal. and i mean real tennis racquets... the bad guy my get a headache or something if you hit him with it. can't have that. i really gotta get out of this state :-(

Sent from my Pixel C using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

Louisiana everything is legal. Lmfao in New Orleans there is no such thing as a open container law. You can literally drink on the church steps and no one will arrest you. And we all packing guns down here

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Looking at this thing more, I wish it had been available back before I got my trail table. This seems way more handy.

JAGS

I was looking at this a while back. But my issue would be my ARB wouldn’t fit in the trunk area. At least not facing front and back.

Where did you get it from,Iv been looking and can’t find anything!!!!!

I originally ordered directly from Tuffy. They shipped all their stock to vendors, so I cancelled that order and found it at 4wdhardware.com. Quadratec has them in stock, too. I took advantage of a sale, too, so I saved a few bucks. I had intended to key it the same as the Security Console, but instead ordered a combo lock for the Security Console, so no need.

Cool thing, amusing comments so far[emoji23]
Does this box itself rattle in any way while you are driving?

Sent from my SM-G950F using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

None detected. It seems solid. Even the shelves have a set screw, so they won't rattle, either. As far as the contents, that's why I'm going to line it with rubber matting for tool box drawers. I think the stuff inside will still be what rattles or bounces around. The box itself is pretty solid.

Here are a couple pics...I put some rubberized tool droor liner from Walmart on the shelves and inside the door to dampen any movement of cargo. It's now ready for Moab!
20181014_183135.jpg
20181014_190034.jpg

Perfect, nearly all you need in most cases[emoji106]

Sent from my SM-G950F using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

Yep, I take gear oil in case I or someone else peels back a diff cover. This ting uses no oil at all, either, but who knows, maybe i get to a precarious angle and it burns some off? I still have to put a couple rachet tie downs in there. I've got more recovery gear, but it'll have to go in a bag. The straps are too big and I don't want shackles or the snatch block rattling around. Now I just need a good place for my travel humidor! Lol.