Paid 50k for a Lemon

muncy324

Most expensive fruit Ive ever purchased..

Ill keep it much shorter for you:

I have had 4 separate leaks with wet stinky carpet
Rust on the bumper and it hasn't seen snow or salt
Orange peel around the entire car with inconsistent paint thickness readings (from 8-40 when it should be 5-6 all the way around)
Paint drip and fish eye holes
Battery charging issues
replaced dash because glove box would not close fully
and theres more but I do not want to bore you.

Just know that Chrysler has been the worst to work with. I got the dealership to set me up with the quality rep for the area and he promised a perfect fix..

Now I have swirl scratches throughout the paint, inconsistent orange peel, and it looks even worse.. Kind of looks like a cow with wax.

They also covered up the rust with a seal, and 2 days later the rust is visible again. I also still have 2 leaks but they cannot replicate it so they can't fix..

Arbitration here I come.. :/
1Rust bumper.jpg3water leaking and going onto carpet during rain.jpg5leak door.jpg8paint drip reading before repair.jpg12high read with visible orange peel.jpg

Rgk401

Orange peel around the entire car with inconsistent paint thickness readings (from 8-40 when it should be 5-6 all the way around)
Battery charging issues

Just know that Chrysler has been the worst to work with. I got the dealership to set me up with the quality rep for the area and he promised a perfect fix..

Now I have swirl scratches throughout the paint, inconsistent orange peel, and it looks even worse.. Kind of looks like a cow with wax.

They also covered up the rust with a seal, and 2 days later the rust is visible again. I also still have 2 leaks but they cannot replicate it so they can't fix..

View attachment 6162View attachment 6163View attachment 6164View attachment 6165View attachment 6166

Wow I’m shocked that your Jeep leaks,and there is rust. First time I’m ever hearing about a Jeep leaking and a little rust. I’m completely blown away!!

JTCO

Meme King
Welcome to JL Wrangler. Nice first post :rolleyes2: I used to deal with people like you as a service writer. However I've never seen anyone use a paint depth gauge on a new vehicle before just because they're curious about the depth. Vehicles are built by humans and machines and there is no such thing as perfection. This is why there is a 3 year warranty. If you truly are seeking the lemon law, I hope it's really justified and I hope FCA takes care of you properly.

WiscoHR

Battery charging issues

View attachment 6162View attachment 6163View attachment 6164View attachment 6165View attachment 6166

Cool story! Unfortunately I don’t give a shit. But welcome to JLWRANGLER.

Sent from my iPhone using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

Cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
Lol your 40 paint thickness is reading on the HARDTOP! No shit it’s not gonna be 18 like what’s on your door.

Your jeep leaks? Welcome to being the owner of a jeep. They all leak.

Rgk401

Lol your 40 paint thickness is reading on the HARDTOP! No shit it’s not gonna be 18 like what’s on your door.

Your jeep leaks? Welcome to being the owner of a jeep. They all leak.

Personally I think the note is kicking his ass and he realized his mistake and can’t trade it bc he owes to much. So he said he’s going to find little flaws with it and declare lemon law. If I could do a lemon law every time my Jeep leaks the Jeep dealership wouldn’t be able to keep up!!!!

Shots

Well it doesn't look like you've gotten much sympathy. Maybe the tone of the first post? Beats me.

Anyway, regarding lemon laws. They're not going to do anything about the paint. For starters, that's something you should have seen when you bought it. You sign off when you take delivery saying that you have done a visual inspection of the vehicle and are satisfied with it's condition upon delivery. If you have orange peel and runs, you should have seen those when you bought the jeep and either declined that particular one or gotten signed agreement that they'd fix it as terms of the purchase. Regarding the paint thickness, they won't care one bit. As long as the metal is covered, no way are they doing anything about how thick the paint is.

As for the leaks. You've got a better chance with getting something done with those since that's something you won't likely see/notice until after you've taken delivery. The problem is that the lemon laws in most states have wording saying the vehicle must have substantial defects which the dealership/manufacturer is unable to repair (or something similar). The reason I mention that being a problem is because "substantial" can be a bit subjective. Obviously safety issues are substantial, but who determines if a leak is? Probably a court, and that's a long annoying road. Hopefully the dealership can fix your leak issue. Judging by where the water is in your photo, I'd guess the door needs a slight adjustment, or check the whether seal. It's likely an easy fix if they can't replicate it to find the issue.

I know it's a brand new Jeep and you shouldn't have to make the repair, but we're assuming they can't figure out what wrong. If you can find it, spend the 10 minutes to make it right, rather than disliking your Jeep. It also sounds like you've got enough experience or connections to deal with the paint problem. I don't know anyone who has a paint depth gauge just laying around so I'd assume you are no stranger to paint. Again, not a repair you should have to make, but if they aren't fixing it, or are making it worse, break out the buffer and take care of it. Or get real crazy and paint the Jeep a custom color. IDK, maybe a dark green, or brown so you have a color nobody else does.

Hope you get it straightened out.

Last edited:

Mud Bug

I had a leak in my jeep.. once. It was terrible. I was sitting in the parent pick up line at the elementary school, and it started to pour rain. I have had this happen like hundreds of times because it was South Florida, it rains for like 5 minutes every day. But this particular day it all of a sudden was like a waterfall on the driver's side. I opened and shut my door.. it changed to a solid stream (like running a faucet in your home) at the front edge of the door. So yeah.. I let it rain. Pulled the floor plug. It was over several minutes later. I did not have all weather floor mats so I needed to pull those little carpets and dry them out, as well. (I had never seen a leak in the rear of the JKU but there WAS a mildew kind of smell coming from the rear carpet... a package of Damp Rid under the seat fixed that for me.) Never once did it cross my mind that I had a lemon.

It is kind of disappointing to have things happen on a new vehicle. I hope things get repaired to your satisfaction and you once again come to love a Jeep for what it is.