Popping noise issue

JLJourney18

Jeep only has 7500 miles on it haha...crazy that something would already be loose. Gonna have the dealer look in the morning to cover under warranty and maybe jeep will take note of it for future builds and so it's a documented problem before my lift and all go in

Sent from my iPhone using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

13_gecko_rubi

Also have read a few places with JL owners saying that the dealer tightened up the ball joints, and it stopped the issue also. Gonna suggest those things to them in the morning and will keep everyone informed

If you drive your Jeep for about 10 miles and somehow they weren't tight originally, the ball joints will be in taper lock. You can literally remove the nuts (don't actually do this!!!) And they still won't move. Short of jumping your Jeep many times with them loose you aren't coming out of taper lock.

Sent via....

JLJourney18

Just an update. Was told it was a steering "rack" issue. Dealer said something about the gears were loose so they ordered a new one. I've got to take it back in next week for the repair once parts arrive and can give more details on it then

JTCO

Meme King
Just an update. Was told it was a steering "rack" issue. Dealer said something about the gears were loose so they ordered a new one. I've got to take it back in next week for the repair once parts arrive and can give more details on it then

WTF? Since when did the JL have a steering rack? I think someone is blowing smoke up your ass.

If you drive your Jeep for about 10 miles and somehow they weren't tight originally, the ball joints will be in taper lock. You can literally remove the nuts (don't actually do this!!!) And they still won't move. Short of jumping your Jeep many times with them loose you aren't coming out of taper lock.

Sent via....

So as long as the cotter pins are in the castle nuts it doesn’t matter if it backs off a bit?

JLJourney18

Update. Jeep is still at the dealership. They said they replaced the steering gear, and it's still making noise. Waiting on a Chrysler rep to come look at it now and maybe have some more answers. Coincidentally another jeep went in Monday with the same noise...

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Update. Jeep is still at the dealership. They said they replaced the steering gear, and it's still making noise. Waiting on a Chrysler rep to come look at it now and maybe have some more answers. Coincidentally another jeep went in Monday with the same noise...

Don't know why they would have replaced the steering box but clearly, it wasn't the issue. Being that you only hear this when turning, did anyone look at the u-joints to see if maybe one was cracked or working itself out?

JLJourney18

I suggested that to them multiple times, and all I keep getting back is they are only replacing what the Chrysler reps tell them to replace haha. Talked to them at lunch and said they were told to take the swaybar end links off and see it that fixed it....still noise though, and they are waiting to hear back on the next "solution"

JTCO

Meme King
I suggested that to them multiple times, and all I keep getting back is they are only replacing what the Chrysler reps tell them to replace haha. Talked to them at lunch and said they were told to take the swaybar end links off and see it that fixed it....still noise though, and they are waiting to hear back on the next "solution"

Wow. Sorry to hear it didn't get fixed quickly. Blows me away as a technician when a customer offers valuable info like you did and the dealer says, 'Nah....we don't diagnose cars, we just do what we're told by factory.' Obviously there's good and bad techs out there, but I see this shit daily and it floors me. Too many people following procedures rather than using their own brains.

JLJourney18

Well after two weeks of trying things out they finally found the issue...lower passenger side ball joint. Said it looked brand new still with no signs of wear, but eventually the search led there. They replaced it, and the noise is gone. I'm about to go pick it up now, but with only 8000 miles on it, I don't know why it would be bad already unless I got a lemon