Air filter

GhostJL

Anyone know a good trustworthy website that has the air filter for the JL? Carson City Jeep has zero in stock, and when I look online there's always this dubious $15 -$20 shipping and handling fee.

Thanks,

Chris

Mopar Air Filter - Part# 68257030AA

JTCO

Meme King
Anyone know a good trustworthy website that has the air filter for the JL? Carson City Jeep has zero in stock, and when I look online there's always this dubious $15 -$20 shipping and handling fee.

Thanks,

Chris

Google shopping lists tons of ebay sellers that are actual dealers across the country that have it. If you're comfortable using eBay, look at the seller's rating. eBay doesn't put up with much shady business practices from sellers so the seller rating is usually a good tool to go off of:

https://www.google.com/search?q=mop...WAHDQIHV68APoQ_AUIDigB&biw=1920&bih=978#spd=0

Personally I've used this guy before and recall it being a good experience:

https://www.ebay.com/p/Genuine-Mopar-Air-Filter-68257030AA/4019870348?iid=352477117880&chn=ps

GhostJL

Google shopping lists tons of ebay sellers that are actual dealers across the country that have it. If you're comfortable using eBay, look at the seller's rating. eBay doesn't put up with much shady business practices from sellers so the seller rating is usually a good tool to go off of:

https://www.google.com/search?q=mop...WAHDQIHV68APoQ_AUIDigB&biw=1920&bih=978#spd=0

Personally I've used this guy before and recall it being a good experience:

https://www.ebay.com/p/Genuine-Mopar-Air-Filter-68257030AA/4019870348?iid=352477117880&chn=ps

Thank you WJCO!

Thanks,

Chris

I bought one off Ebay for 22 bucks. I normally don't change them until 30 or 36k miles, but I'm going to Moab and will be with a group of Jeeps, so this thing will look like the lung of a guy that worked 80 years in an asbestos factory, when I'm done.

My dealership didn't have them, either, nor did they have the cabin filters.

OverlanderJL

Resident Smartass
I bought one off Ebay for 22 bucks. I normally don't change them until 30 or 36k miles, but I'm going to Moab and will be with a group of Jeeps, so this thing will look like the lung of a guy that worked 80 years in an asbestos factory, when I'm done.

36k on an air intake? Holy hell thats a long time.

Sent from my iPhone using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

Not really, unless you live or drive in a very dusty area. I've had vehicles with pressure guages on the air filters and most of the time, the indicator hardly moved by 30k miles. I've done a used oil analyses with over 30k on the filter and it indicated nothing significant was getting through that filter. I've had vehicles where the owner's manual recommended 36k air filter intervals if in normal conditions. Not sure what the JL actually says. I'm going to look it up.

I changed one after Easter Jeep Safari in my JK in 2015 that was almost new when I arrived. It was LOADED with dust when I changed it before the drive home. That filter wasn't two months old and probably had 4k miles on it. It was dirtier than any filter I ever had, even ones with over 30k miles. So, if I think I've encountered more dusty driving than usual, I'll change it sooner. My JL currently has just under 10k miles on it. I'll put the new one in after the last trail and before the drive home. I guarantee it will get loaded up pretty good, especially if I'm not the lead Jeep in the group very often. I'll try to remember to take pics of the old and new for comparison, if I get the chance.

Ok, the JL owner's manual recommends a 30k interval for the air filter. An engineer with Fram on another forum once said that air filters actually get more efficient at cleaning as they collect more dust. Then, they eventually reach a point where their efficiency drops off. Obviously, you want to change it before then. A spring loaded filter (pressure) guage would be nice. I had that on a 99 Silverado and subsequent Suburbans and Tahoes. As I said before, the filters went a long, long time before even moving the indicator slightly. I never went further than that because by then they'd hit 36k. I'd be curious to see how far you could go before they hit the "replace" level.

You can actually buy an air filter guage and install it on any air box. Here is one made by Wix:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Air-Filter...:ShippingMethodStandard!46122!US!-1:rk:3:pf:0

JTCO

Meme King
In dusty environments, I've seemed to find that every other oil change is about the max they can go. In non-dusty areas, about 15k-20k seems OK. Just what I've seen.