JL battery charging and jump starting

doubletapdaddy

Caught the Bug
Hi folks. Couple of questions regarding our electrical system.

First, I was wondering if there is a proper way to charge the batteries in the JL? Just wondering if there's any specific procedure due to the dual batteries.

Second, if you find yourself with a dead starting battery can you jump start the JL with another vehicle, or use one of those portable handheld jumpers?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Hi folks. Couple of questions regarding our electrical system.

First, I was wondering if there is a proper way to charge the batteries in the JL? Just wondering if there's any specific procedure due to the dual batteries.

Second, if you find yourself with a dead starting battery can you jump start the JL with another vehicle, or use one of those portable handheld jumpers?

The short answer is yes. The long answer is that there's a specific way to do it. You can't just hook up cables to the main battery like you would any other vehicle. I'm hoping to do a video on this but in a nutshell, you'll need to hook up to the negative terminal on the main battery but then you'll need to attach the positive lead onto the positive terminal on the fuse box. This would be the first 2 studs that sit closest to the main battery. The fuse box lists these as N1 and N2. The aux battery is actually what starts your JL.

20180418164845-2e27601d-me.jpg

20180418164848-f191be35-me.jpg

13_gecko_rubi

This is probably my fault for slightly telling you wrong Eddie. I'm sorry if I caused confusion.

The aux battery is what powers everything in the Jeep. The large battery is used for cranking. This is when the two batteries aren't connected together like during stop start.

But the aux battery also powers the relay that connects the two batteries together for cranking. So if the aux battery is too low that relay won't close and when you try to crank it won't have the big battery connected because the relay is open and it can fail to crank. To fix this you need to jump the aux battery. That will cause relay to shut and batteries to connect and will crank even with jumper cables on the aux battery post. Does that make sense?

Sent via....

Rhinebeck01

The short answer is yes. The long answer is that there's a specific way to do it. You can't just hook up cables to the main battery like you would any other vehicle. I'm hoping to do a video on this but in a nutshell, you'll need to hook up to the negative terminal on the main battery but then you'll need to attach the positive lead onto the positive terminal on the fuse box. This would be the first 2 studs that sit closest to the main battery. The fuse box lists these as N1 and N2. The aux battery is actually what starts your JL.

Last week I was out of town.. 225 miles away from home. Went out to start my 2 dr JL and the battery(2) was dead. 8.4 radio screen was black, no lights and it appeared that no 12v power was getting to the JL.

Well, I knew I was going to have to try to jump start. My plan was to use N1 for pos and a chassis ground point in order to jump start. I was going to do this as I have been following the JL forums for months and had the impression that no way your could jump start a JL the regular old way even though the JL manual said you could...

So, flat bed guy drives up with his brand new rig. We talk and I tell him the drill and the issues I thought in regard to jump starting a JL. He had never jumped a JL before.

He had a freshly charged 12v power pack with him. I told him try the regular old jump start way, just for shits and giggles to see what my JL would do. Well, he hooked up the power pack and low and behold, the dash lights' radio lit up but the JL would not turn over. Was like the power pack did not have enough omph, lets say.

So, my next thought was just use jumper cables and jump from his new truck's 12 v system. He got the jumper cables out and I said, for the heck of it just jump it the regular old way again. WELL, with the dual battery 12v system he had and the battery cables to my JL the regular old jump start way, the JL frigggin started right up, like nothing was ever wrong.

I had planned to use N1 but never needed to...

In closing, quite possibly all the JL forum guy's that said they could not jump start the regular old way may indeed have been able to do so If they had a better 12v source to jump with.

I'm just telling me story here. I am clueless ... pretty much as most if not all other JL owner's are in regard to jump starting a JL. Geeeez, maybe it is as easy as the JL manual states.... ???

Last edited:

doubletapdaddy

Caught the Bug
Definitely appreciate the responses. I'll be unable to drive the JL for several weeks and was hoping to put a charger on, but the electronic Voodoo makes me paranoid. Lol.

Rhinebeck01

Definitely appreciate the responses. I'll be unable to drive the JL for several weeks and was hoping to put a charger on, but the electronic Voodoo makes me paranoid. Lol.

I have used a cheapy, trickle charger on my JL in the past. Hooking up the trickle charger to the main 12v pos and the main Neg, both of the JL's batteries do charge together. When you hook up the trickle charger, you will see it work for 12-14 hrs. before it goes into float mode... aka, maintenance mode.

doubletapdaddy

Caught the Bug
I have used a cheapy, trickle charger on my JL in the past. Hooking up the trickle charger to the main 12v pos and the main Neg, both of the JL's batteries do charge together. When you hook up the trickle charger, you will see it work for 12-14 hrs. before it goes into float mode... aka, maintenance mode.

Thanks. I'm going to give it a go.

13_gecko_rubi

Last week I was out of town.. 225 miles away from home. Went out to start my 2 dr JL and the battery(2) was dead. 8.4 radio screen was black, no lights and it appeared that no 12v power was getting to the JL.

Well, I knew I was going to have to try to jump start. My plan was to use N1 for pos and a chassis ground point in order to jump start. I was going to do this as I have been following the JL forums for months and had the impression that no way your could jump start a JL the regular old way even though the JL manual said you could...

So, flat bed guy drives up with his brand new rig. We talk and I tell him the drill and the issues I thought in regard to jump starting a JL. He had never jumped a JL before.

He had a freshly charged 12v power pack with him. I told him try the regular old jump start way, just for shits and giggles to see what my JL would do. Well, he hooked up the power pack and low and behold, the dash lights' radio lit up but the JL would not turn over. Was like the power pack did not have enough omph, lets say.

So, my next thought was just use jumper cables and jump from his new truck's 12 v system. He got the jumper cables out and I said, for the heck of it just jump it the regular old way again. WELL, with the dual battery 12v system he had and the battery cables to my JL the regular old jump start way, the JL frigggin started right up, like nothing was ever wrong.

I had planned to use N1 but never needed to...

In closing, quite possibly all the JL forum guy's that said they could not jump start the regular old way may indeed have been able to do so If they had a better 12v source to jump with.

I'm just telling me story here. I am clueless ... pretty much as most if not all other JL owner's are in regard to jump starting a JL. Geeeez, maybe it is as easy as the JL manual states.... ???
In most cases jumping the normal battery should do it. It's only if the aux battery drops way to low I've seen it not work. If always try the main battery first! Thanks for the feedback that it worked for you.

Sent via....