Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Cracked windsheild

Fresh Catch

Cracked windsheild

So I have 10,000 miles on my JLUR I got the first hit at 3200 miles roughly and did not replace the windshield. ( just too dam Busy) so at 10,200 more or less took another rock to the windsheild bad bad hit size of a 50cent piece. Now I will have to replace it.
    So at this rate that is a new windshield every 5000 miles. Any suggestions?

I will be adding a winch in the near future, I ordered a windshiled deflector (I have heard they aren't that effective but if it same just one crack it will pay for it self 5 times over) maybe between the 2 the air flow will change enough to deflect the rocks over windshield

I hear rumors about a gorilla glass replacement. anyone know anything about those ? are they even real or available?

any ideas?

oh and by the way the first hit there were no trucks on the road msut have been kicked up by a car. the second I was 500 feet behind the truck which were in the middle lane and I was in the fast lane.

Nature of the Beast. I got my first crack at 120 miles on the odometer. I now have four with less than 3000 mi. I've gotten them all repaired rather quickly so they haven't traveled, and thankfully none of them are in my line of vision. Other than getting them repaired ASAP, the only thing I could recommend is good glass coverage. Our deductible is $50 per factory replacement. If I choose to go with aftermarket, then it is $0.

That dude from Mississippi notnalc68's Avatar
    JK Jeeps, since 2012. Only replaced one windshield. Thatís not any more than any other vehicle Iíve had.

Sent from my iPhone using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

On my JK I got 2 windshield cracks full width within 2 years. Itís pretty common. When I got the JK I added glass coverage with my insurance, it was an extra $7 a month I think and had a $50 deductible for replacement. Iíve been fortunate to not have my JL get a crack yet but itís likely only a matter of time... I donít think there is much you can do to prevent this.

Get the windshield replacement on your car insurance. Just got mine replaced at no cost.

In 30 years of driving I never had to replace a windshield, that is until I moved to Colorado. Lol. I'd have to look up a previous post when I took count, but I think we've been through 6 windshields (4 different vehicles) in 3 years. I'm going to hold off on the JL until it gets really bad. Right now it's pretty tolerable. Don't even really notice the cracks now that they are filled.

I have 1200 miles on my JLU and have two hits and need to replace. My dealer quoted the gorilla glass at $800 installed.

Caught the Bug
    Quote Originally Posted by jjhare View Post
    I have 1200 miles on my JLU and have two hits and need to replace. My dealer quoted the gorilla glass at $800 installed.
    When did gorilla glass become available for Jeep, was under the impression it was a long way off.

Quote Originally Posted by Zevulin View Post
    When did gorilla glass become available for Jeep, was under the impression it was a long way off.

It's been available for the JK's for a while. Many hoped it'd be standard in the JL.

It's talked about here, at the 5 min mark:

Removed, Slanderous

TFL interviewed a rep from Jeep, and they claim the Gorilla Glass benefit is minimal.
    Last edited by JTCO; 09-24-2019 at 09:02 AM.
    2018 Granite Crystal Metallic JLUR
    - American Racing ATX Wheels - AX195 18x9, with Nitto Ridge Grappler 35x12.50R18LT tires - no lift kit, no spacers, no rub
    - RockSlide GenII StepSliders w/ LED, RC 30" hood-mount lightbar, Hooker Blackheart Axle-Back Exhaust, WARN VR Evo winch, Hothead Headliners
    - 67 Designs JL MagMount G2, Highland Hitch Mount Cargo Carrier, GPCA Headrest Grab Handles
    - Rugged Ridge 3rd Brake Light LED Ring & Elite Headlight Euro Guards

Nothing but a Thing
    It's being developed by MOPAR for the JL also.

Sent via....

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast