Torque settings for Fox shocks in the Dynatrac 2" Lift

wwood

What I'm saying is to install your bolts with LESS TORQUE. More torque is NOT REQUIRED with bushings like this. Still not happy with 65 ft. lbs.? APPLY LESS torque and use loctite to secure the bolts/nuts in place. AS I'VE SAID, these are NOT factory bonded rubber bushings and you are wrong to assume that these bushings require anywhere near as much torque. It really is that simple.

Thank you.

Thanks, you are right, less torque will be safe. I did some looking and found install instructions for the new King reservoir shocks for the 2018 JL and King specs 60 ft/lbs for the upper and lower shock bolts. Wish I had found this earlier or somebody had pointed it out. It is good to have an independent source of info. Since King specs 60 ft/lbs I feel much more confident that that torque setting will hold the crush sleeves still during daily driving and wheeling. With all due respect I understand your point about bonded rubber bushings but I do not think that factor answers my concern. The crush sleeve must be held still to prevent damage to the various parts (bolts banging around in the bracket holes, etc) and it needs adequate clamping force to accomplish that. The extra torque necessary to handle bonded bushings on shocks as opposed to polyurethane bushings is minimal and does not assure adequate clamping force which is a separate issue. I cannot find any close up pics of the King crush sleeves on the new JL shocks but from the pics I found they do look beefier than the Fox sleeves. In any event I tested my shock bolts and they now all click solid at 60 ft/lbs with no bolt movement, so I consider this problem solved. I did not post a link to the King instructions because I believe you said we should not post links from other sites, but I will send the link if its ok, maybe others would like to see it.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks, you are right, less torque will be safe. I did some looking and found install instructions for the new King reservoir shocks for the 2018 JL and King specs 60 ft/lbs for the upper and lower shock bolts. Wish I had found this earlier or somebody had pointed it out. It is good to have an independent source of info. Since King specs 60 ft/lbs I feel much more confident that that torque setting will hold the crush sleeves still during daily driving and wheeling. With all due respect I understand your point about bonded rubber bushings but I do not think that factor answers my concern. The crush sleeve must be held still to prevent damage to the various parts (bolts banging around in the bracket holes, etc) and it needs adequate clamping force to accomplish that. The extra torque necessary to handle bonded bushings on shocks as opposed to polyurethane bushings is minimal and does not assure adequate clamping force which is a separate issue. I cannot find any close up pics of the King crush sleeves on the new JL shocks but from the pics I found they do look beefier than the Fox sleeves. In any event I tested my shock bolts and they now all click solid at 60 ft/lbs with no bolt movement, so I consider this problem solved.

LOL!! With all due respect, you don't have a clue as to what you're talking about but I'm glad to see you finally agree that less torque will be just fine - just like I said it would be.

I did not post a link to the King instructions because I believe you said we should not post links from other sites...

You really are the expert when it comes to imagining things.

OverlanderJL

Resident Smartass
Thanks, you are right, less torque will be safe. I did some looking and found install instructions for the new King reservoir shocks for the 2018 JL and King specs 60 ft/lbs for the upper and lower shock bolts. Wish I had found this earlier or somebody had pointed it out. It is good to have an independent source of info. Since King specs 60 ft/lbs I feel much more confident that that torque setting will hold the crush sleeves still during daily driving and wheeling. With all due respect I understand your point about bonded rubber bushings but I do not think that factor answers my concern. The crush sleeve must be held still to prevent damage to the various parts (bolts banging around in the bracket holes, etc) and it needs adequate clamping force to accomplish that. The extra torque necessary to handle bonded bushings on shocks as opposed to polyurethane bushings is minimal and does not assure adequate clamping force which is a separate issue. I cannot find any close up pics of the King crush sleeves on the new JL shocks but from the pics I found they do look beefier than the Fox sleeves. In any event I tested my shock bolts and they now all click solid at 60 ft/lbs with no bolt movement, so I consider this problem solved. I did not post a link to the King instructions because I believe you said we should not post links from other sites, but I will send the link if its ok, maybe others would like to see it.

So you will listen to another manufacturer install instructions but you will not listen to the manufacturer of the shocks you bought and the manufacturer of the kit you bought. With all due respect you are dumb as a rock.

Sent from my iPhone using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

wwood

So you will listen to another manufacturer install instructions but you will not listen to the manufacturer of the shocks you bought and the manufacturer of the kit you bought. With all due respect you are dumb as a rock.

Hmmm, "dumb as a rock" that's a pretty provocative statement! :crazyeyes:

By the way, Fox produced no install instructions and never said anything here about installation or torque, and Dynatrac changed their torque spec significantly and repeatedly, fostering a lot of confusion for us users. If you had this kit and installed it you might see my point.

OverlanderJL

Resident Smartass
Hmmm, "dumb as a rock" that's a pretty provocative statement! :crazyeyes:

By the way, Fox produced no install instructions and never said anything here about installation or torque, and Dynatrac changed their torque spec significantly and repeatedly, fostering a lot of confusion for us users. If you had this kit and installed it you might see my point.

No, no I wouldn’t. But good luck to you. Hopefully your shock doesn’t fall off since you haven’t torqued it properly.

JTCO

Meme King
The proper torque spec is

62.24736885435788644700731256885224689853357887433678732468743689644675357754676422578863235788 ft lbs.

Good luck all.

JTCO

Meme King
I was blessed enough today to be out in the fresh powder enjoying God's creation teaching my oldest son how to snowboard. He was having a blast. Just then suddenly, there was this buck deer pounding the shit out of this doe deer off in the trees. I didn't really know the easiest way to explain this to my son, but still I just told him this is what deer do sometimes. As cool as this nature experience was, this random thought suddenly entered my mind: " Are my Jeep shock bolts torqued to specs?" The thought haunted me. I drove home and all seemed OK but I was still worried. As soon as I got home, I pulled out the torque wrench. A sigh of relief came over me as it turned out all was well in the land of torque specs and I was all worked up over nothing.

benatc1

I was blessed enough today to be out in the fresh powder enjoying God's creation teaching my oldest son how to snowboard. He was having a blast. Just then suddenly, there was this buck deer pounding the shit out of this doe deer off in the trees. I didn't really know the easiest way to explain this to my son, but still I just told him this is what deer do sometimes. As cool as this nature experience was, this random thought suddenly entered my mind: " Are my Jeep shock bolts torqued to specs?" The thought haunted me. I drove home and all seemed OK but I was still worried. As soon as I got home, I pulled out the torque wrench. A sigh of relief came over me as it turned out all was well in the land of torque specs and I was all worked up over nothing.
Glad you made it home safe, sounded like a close call

Sent from my SM-N960U using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

JTCO

Meme King

wwood

The proper torque spec is

62.24736885435788644700731256885224689853357887433678732468743689644675357754676422578863235788 ft lbs.

Good luck all.

LOL! You guys are all good, but this one is truly outstanding. I'm still laughing. :thumb: