Torque settings for Fox shocks in the Dynatrac 2" Lift

Dynatrac

Supporting Advertiser
Supporter
Folks, thanks for your patience on this. We wanted to double-check our tests before putting up any responses. Fox and Dynatrac both repeated our tests today. Fox did a video, and we have some pictures that show that it took us 120 lb-ft of torque to cause a bushing failure. That is 1.5X the rating of the bolt, so don’t do that! Please stick to the 65 lb-ft on ALL shock bolts as stated in our instructions. I'm sorry, but I can't get the pics or the video to attach, so you will have wait for someone smarter than I am to figure that out in the morning.

I realize that all the controversy has made this sensitive. That’s our fault, not yours. No need to make this a science project. Just simple hand tools like a wrench and a ratchet, and tighten firmly. A drop of Loctite is a good safety measure so you can sleep better at night.

FYI, many torque wrenches are sensitive to off angle pulls. They don’t click if you do that. Swivel heads help to prevent this, but you still have to be careful to let the torque wrench do its job. I learned it the hard way, tightening cylinder head bolts in awkward engine compartments.

I also want to say that we do not mind criticism. If we weren’t critical of ourselves, or took on a bad attitude to customer input, we would not have gotten to where we are today. Keep it coming, but please be constructive so we can help you.

tjeeper

Please stick to the 65 lb-ft on ALL shock bolts as stated in our instructions

You guys might want to double check what set of instructions you are shipping with the kits. I received my kit on 10/28. The instructions stated differently.

IMG_4097.jpgIMG_4098.jpgIMG_4099.jpgIMG_4100.jpg

I will pull the shocks and check the sleeves when I can. Not sure when as I'm getting ready to take the TJ to Moab. When it comes to re-installing them, should I use 65 ft-lb,or what I used previously? Seems like if they were crushed they should be reinstalled to what I used previously.

wwood

Folks, thanks for your patience on this. We wanted to double-check our tests before putting up any responses. Fox and Dynatrac both repeated our tests today. Fox did a video, and we have some pictures that show that it took us 120 lb-ft of torque to cause a bushing failure. That is 1.5X the rating of the bolt, so don’t do that! Please stick to the 65 lb-ft on ALL shock bolts as stated in our instructions. I'm sorry, but I can't get the pics or the video to attach, so you will have wait for someone smarter than I am to figure that out in the morning.

I realize that all the controversy has made this sensitive. That’s our fault, not yours. No need to make this a science project. Just simple hand tools like a wrench and a ratchet, and tighten firmly. A drop of Loctite is a good safety measure so you can sleep better at night.

FYI, many torque wrenches are sensitive to off angle pulls. They don’t click if you do that. Swivel heads help to prevent this, but you still have to be careful to let the torque wrench do its job. I learned it the hard way, tightening cylinder head bolts in awkward engine compartments.

I also want to say that we do not mind criticism. If we weren’t critical of ourselves, or took on a bad attitude to customer input, we would not have gotten to where we are today. Keep it coming, but please be constructive so we can help you.

Thanks for this update. I am very interested in seeing the test video and pictures. Please note that the problem I am having concerns the lower shock sleeves, I hope your test covers them. As per my prior posts on this thread, on my Jeep and my tests on the original lower sleeves and the new flanged sleeves both deform at 65 ft/lbs. And I am using a calibrated new condition Snap-On industrial brand torque wrench and no off angle pulls.

Your comment about no need for a science project causes some concern. Jeep engineers spec the torque on the shock bolts at 81 for the uppers and 74 for the lowers. You are now apparently recommending 65 ft/lbs on all 4 bolts. Are you saying we should ignore the Jeep factory torque specs? What assurance do we have that 65 ft/lbs is sufficient to prevent movement or damage to the shocks or the brackets or anything else in daily driving or wheeling?

Please understand that I am not criticizing Dynatrac, I am seeking information. I believe that Fox is the cause of these issues, the crush sleeves are simply too flimsy. Our Jeep is primarily a daily driver for our family but also a fun offroad vehicle. My families' safety is very important, I don't want anybody to get hurt and I don't want to get stuck out in the desert. And if any damage occurs I don't want claims denied because I did not follow factory torque specs. We just paid $50k for this Jeep and do not want any substandard parts that become a worry or safety concern.

JTCO

Meme King
Our Jeep is primarily a daily driver for our family but also a fun offroad vehicle. My families' safety is very important, I don't want anybody to get hurt and I don't want to get stuck out in the desert. We just paid $50k for this Jeep and do not want any substandard parts that become a worry or safety concern.

I can't see how an overtorqued nor undertorqued shock bolt on a jeep would cause a safety concern nor getting stuck in the desert. It would probably cause a really annoying clunking sound though if undertorqued to the point that the shock moved around in the bracket.

notnalc68

That dude from Mississippi
I can't see how an overtorqued nor undertorqued shock bolt on a jeep would cause a safety concern nor getting stuck in the desert. It would probably cause a really annoying clunking sound though if undertorqued to the point that the shock moved around in the bracket.

Ditto. If a shock fell off, it isn’t like it would incapacitate the vehicle.

Sent from my iPhone using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

JP223/3USA

We wanted to let you know that we've uploaded the current version of our EnduroSport directions to the website now. If you have one of our kits, please use this version of the instructions for installation: https://www.dynatrac.com/fileuploader/download/download/?d=0&file=custom/upload/File-1541783446.pdf

Thank you for taking care of your customers. That’s the reason I purchased your lift kit and believe in the Dynatrac brand

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Your comment about no need for a science project causes some concern. Jeep engineers spec the torque on the shock bolts at 81 for the uppers and 74 for the lowers. You are now apparently recommending 65 ft/lbs on all 4 bolts. Are you saying we should ignore the Jeep factory torque specs? What assurance do we have that 65 ft/lbs is sufficient to prevent movement or damage to the shocks or the brackets or anything else in daily driving or wheeling?

The bushings on the factory shocks are bonded rubber and a higher torque value is needed to hold it in place. Fox shocks use a polyurethane bushing that rotates freely. There should be no reason for the nut to come off at 65 ft lbs but if you’re concerned, apply some loctite to it.