Torque settings for Fox shocks in the Dynatrac 2" Lift

tjeeper

I installed the lift this past weekend, and I was told the shocks had the new sleeves.I used 81 for the upper bolt, 74 for the lower, per the instructions.

The driver rear took a lot of effort to get it to 81ft/lbs. My son and I had to take turns as it kept tiring us out. Passenger rear had no issues as it tightened quickly.

The lowers were done with the shocks at full extension. Not sure if the sleeves were deformed on any of the shocks as I didn't pull them to check.

drhcobra

You probably bent your upper shock mount that’s what happened on one of mine. Had to make new bushings for 1 upper and a jig to expand the upper mount back into shape. You are at risk of damaging upper shock mounts at 81 ft lbs.

Sent from my iPhone using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

drhcobra

Wow, that new spec sheet is a total surprise to me. I did not know they issued a new list calling for 81ft/lbs on the upper bolt and 74ft/lbs on the lower bolts. I specifically asked on this thread what torque Dynatrac recommended for the new flanged crush sleeves but there was no direct reply so I assumed that the original spec sheet that I received in the instructions remained in place, namely, 65 ft/lbs for all the shock bolts, upper and lower, front and rear.

I have received but have not installed the new flanged crush sleeves for the lower shock bolts because I am not confident that they will work. These new flanged sleeves fit too loose on the bolts and I am worried that they will mis-align and deform at any torque over about 60 ft/lbs. The new flanged sleeves have slightly thinner wall thickness than the original Fox sleeves which is why they are loose on the bolt. Thinner wall thickness probably means they will deform easier. I am currently using the original Fox sleeves but I added grade 8 washers that fit the bolts nice and tight so the sleeves do not get forced into the gap between the bolt and the bracket holes. I cannot torque these bolts over 60 ft/lbs without some deformation. At 65 ft/lbs I cannot get the torque wrench to click twice, the bolt moves slightly before it will click again. If I keep trying to get 65 ft/lbs, the bolt moves again, so I stopped trying that much torque to avoid crushing the sleeves any further. I am able to torque the top bolts to 65 ft/lbs and the wrench will easily click twice with zero bolt movement in between the 2 clicks.

I would like to know if anybody has actually tested the new flanged sleeves for the lower bolts and torqued them to 65 ft/lbs or 74 ft/lbs. If so, were you able to get the torque wrench to click twice with no further bolt movement? A full test would require removing the lower shock bolt and the sleeves to see if they deformed either at the flange end or the other end where the 2 sleeves meet in the middle of the bushing.

Surprises me also. I would go 65 all the way around. I have not tested the new ones I had made my own before I got them. I was able to get mine to 65 and they felt solid not mushy like before. I did however drill them one size smaller to try to get a little more thickness. I haven’t measured the new sleeves. Odd they would be thinner. I’ll have to check them.

JP223/3USA

Torque settings for Fox shocks in the Dynatrac 2" Lift

I would like to know if anybody has actually tested the new flanged sleeves for the lower bolts and torqued them to 65 ft/lbs or 74 ft/lbs. If so, were you able to get the torque wrench to click twice with no further bolt movement? A full test would require removing the lower shock bolt and the sleeves to see if they deformed either at the flange end or the other end where the 2 sleeves meet in the middle of the bushing.

I’ve managed to do both my front lowers at 65ft-lbs no problems. Took both shocks off today to see if there was any crushing on the tops. The front passenger top was crushing. As long as I get them torqued close to specs I’m happy. I just can’t torque the front upper shock because it’s collapsing nor and more. Rear bottoms vs front bottoms IMG_5684.jpgIMG_5685.jpg

Last edited:

JTCO

Meme King
Although I commend Dynatrac for their proactive approach in providing new sleeves once they realized there was a potential issue with the Fox shock bushing sleeves, as long as there is no play in the bushings when the shock bolt is tightened, all should be good.

aug0211

Ok so now as a customer of Dynatrac and someone who has purchased this lift... I’m thoroughly confused. I had thought the issue was resolved, but it sounds like that is not the case. It sounds like there is still confusion on the correct torque to apply.

Would be awesome if we could get Dynatrac to chime in here to confirm.

drhcobra

Ok so now as a customer of Dynatrac and someone who has purchased this lift... I’m thoroughly confused. I had thought the issue was resolved, but it sounds like that is not the case. It sounds like there is still confusion on the correct torque to apply.

Would be awesome if we could get Dynatrac to chime in here to confirm.

If I were you I would torque upper an lower to 65 and run with it. But it would be worth a call to dynatrac

drhcobra

I’ve managed to do both my front lowers at 65ft-lbs no problems. Took both shocks off today to see if there was any crushing on the tops. The front passenger top was crushing. As long as I get them torqued close to specs I’m happy. I justZ can’t torque the front upper shock because it’s collapsing nor and more. Rear bottoms vs front bottoms View attachment 6848View attachment 6849

Yep, it will crush to a point the start bending that upper mount. If it feels solid no play you might want to leave it.

Four Flusher

I've replaced the lower crush sleeved with the new ones and torqued to 65lb. I inspected the top bushing and they were fine, also torqued them to 65LB. My plan is to check all shock bolts periodically. I think there's a liability issue with Dynatrac not wanting to conflict with Jeep torque specs. I'm pretty sure had I just had the install done by a shop they would have just torqued the bolts to "tight enough" and called it good.

notnalc68

That dude from Mississippi
Yikes. I sent Dynatrac a message, hoping they come here to help us all understand the right path forward with their lift.

As far as I’m concerned it’s 65ft/lbs

I've replaced the lower crush sleeved with the new ones and torqued to 65lb. I inspected the top bushing and they were fine, also torqued them to 65LB. My plan is to check all shock bolts periodically. I think there's a liability issue with Dynatrac not wanting to conflict with Jeep torque specs. I'm pretty sure had I just had the install done by a shop they would have just torqued the bolts to "tight enough" and called it good.

IMG_2826.JPG

I think the original post established the fact that it’s 65 lb.ft. Don’t over think it.