Torque settings for Fox shocks in the Dynatrac 2" Lift

JTCO

Meme King
I’m guilty of the first part, for sure. I definitely spend more time researching products and price shopping than I would say the average consumer does. This does mean it takes me longer to make a purchase. And I’m sure a lot of people get exasperated with my questions while I’m trying to learn from others’ experience - sorry about that, guys, and thanks for being patient with me.

I don’t have unlimited funds and I’ve found that if I am not methodical in my purchasing process, I often have buyer’s remorse due to finding either a better deal or product that better meets my goals. I need to buy once whenever possible to manage the cost, and I tend to put a lot of pressure on that purchase since I know I won’t buy a second time AND I recognize how picky I am about little things that I probably shouldn’t care so much about... but I do care, so what can I do?

In other words, I’m point at myself and chuckling - yep, guilty here! I do sometimes wish I stressed the details a bit less so that I could make decisions more quickly and not stress about the little stuff.

For example, I bought three Mopar steel front bumpers and returned two because the first two had scratches into the metal when I received them. The third even has some scratches but I eventually had to settle for it because I literally could not find any other inventory. It kills me that I spent almost $1k on a product that did not start from a “perfect” starting point. I wish I was bothered less by those few scratches, since I can’t do anything about it and ultimately it doesn’t hurt anything :)

Sent from my iPhone using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

I totally get that and am pretty meticulous myself. But if I can't find an answer that satisfies me, I just move on. The guy above just keeps coming back and asking for more and he's not getting the answer he wants. Guess I just don't understand why he's burdening himself so much to get the answer from the members here but then comes back and says 'I found it elsewhere.' Makes no sense to me.

JP223/3USA

Thanks for the opinions. It seems everyone here is happy with it, which is consistent with the reviews I've read.
After what seems like more effort than should have been required, I was able to get some good info about what sets this kit apart (some here, and a lot on other forums). Now I just have to decide if I want this kit, or to go with one that addresses camber and track offset/shift.

Go hang out with shaneheberlein.

Last edited:

OverlanderJL

Resident Smartass
I’m guilty of the first part, for sure. I definitely spend more time researching products and price shopping than I would say the average consumer does. This does mean it takes me longer to make a purchase. And I’m sure a lot of people get exasperated with my questions while I’m trying to learn from others’ experience - sorry about that, guys, and thanks for being patient with me.

I don’t have unlimited funds and I’ve found that if I am not methodical in my purchasing process, I often have buyer’s remorse due to finding either a better deal or product that better meets my goals. I need to buy once whenever possible to manage the cost, and I tend to put a lot of pressure on that purchase since I know I won’t buy a second time AND I recognize how picky I am about little things that I probably shouldn’t care so much about... but I do care, so what can I do?

In other words, I’m point at myself and chuckling - yep, guilty here! I do sometimes wish I stressed the details a bit less so that I could make decisions more quickly and not stress about the little stuff.

For example, I bought three Mopar steel front bumpers and returned two because the first two had scratches into the metal when I received them. The third even has some scratches but I eventually had to settle for it because I literally could not find any other inventory. It kills me that I spent almost $1k on a product that did not start from a “perfect” starting point. I wish I was bothered less by those few scratches, since I can’t do anything about it and ultimately it doesn’t hurt anything :)

There is a difference between doing research and being an asshole about research. That shots guy is just the asshole.

Shots

How am I the a-hole? What specifically have I done that was rude, inconsiderate, offensive, or anything else? That's a legitimate question, so I know what to avoid in the future. What specifically was a-hole of me?
I've been polite the entire time, and I apologized when others mistakenly took my questions to imply I felt they were foolish for buying the Dynatrac kit. They misunderstood me, yet I apologized for not being clear enough and allowing that misconception to occur. I try to be clear enough that things like that don't happen, so I owned that. Such an a-hole move. :rolleyes2:

I haven't kept coming back asking for more, once the question was answered. I simply didn't take "you get what you pay for" as an answer because it explains nothing. Once I got an actual answer, I said thanks for the opinions and let it go. I did repeat the question once because someone specifically asked me "could you repeat the question", so I did, despite having gotten an answer by that point. Maybe he was being rhetorical/sarcastic. If so, oops I missed the context, that one is on me too.

And yes to respond to the prior post, I do spend a lot of time on home projects too. I'll draw up a diagram, so I can fully understand what parts/supplies are needed, then I'll research the best place to buy those supplies. Often it's a various stores/suppliers, not the same place for everything. Do I bother telling Lowes, or Home Depot they weren't the best choice? No, but I wasn't having a conversation with them. Excuse me for pointing out to anyone reading that there are answers available on other forums.

OverlanderJL

Resident Smartass
How am I the a-hole?

See below.

How am I the a-hole? What specifically have I done that was rude, inconsiderate, offensive, or anything else? That's a legitimate question, so I know what to avoid in the future. What specifically was a-hole of me?
I've been polite the entire time, and I apologized when others mistakenly took my questions to imply I felt they were foolish for buying the Dynatrac kit. They misunderstood me, yet I apologized for not being clear enough and allowing that misconception to occur. I try to be clear enough that things like that don't happen, so I owned that. Such an a-hole move. :rolleyes2:

I haven't kept coming back asking for more, once the question was answered. I simply didn't take "you get what you pay for" as an answer because it explains nothing. Once I got an actual answer, I said thanks for the opinions and let it go. I did repeat the question once because someone specifically asked me "could you repeat the question", so I did, despite having gotten an answer by that point. Maybe he was being rhetorical/sarcastic. If so, oops I missed the context, that one is on me too.

And yes to respond to the prior post, I do spend a lot of time on home projects too. I'll draw up a diagram, so I can fully understand what parts/supplies are needed, then I'll research the best place to buy those supplies. Often it's a various stores/suppliers, not the same place for everything. Do I bother telling Lowes, or Home Depot they weren't the best choice? No, but I wasn't having a conversation with them. Excuse me for pointing out to anyone reading that there are answers available on other forums.

aug0211

I don’t think you said anything that made you an a-hole, shots. I think overlander may just be messing with you.

If I’m wrong and there are actually shots being fired, please don’t let me get caught up in the crossfire :)

Anyone received a recent Dynatrac kit and/or the revised crush sleeves and have any experience to share on how they handled the torque?

JP223/3USA

The problem was you kept asking the same question over and over and over. Don’t take these comments personal. Call Overlander a prick and move on

drhcobra

I don’t think you said anything that made you an a-hole, shots. I think overlander may just be messing with you.

If I’m wrong and there are actually shots being fired, please don’t let me get caught up in the crossfire :)

Anyone received a recent Dynatrac kit and/or the revised crush sleeves and have any experience to share on how they handled the torque?

See post #39 and #66. I didn’t want to wait so I made my own. I did however receive an email from dynatrac saying they shipped warranty parts (no charge) the flanged sleeves are probably sitting at the house. I’ve been out of town for a few days. Speaks highly of the quality of the company, I did not even call and ask for the replacement sleeves. Thanks again to dynatrac for supporting the product.

JTCO

Meme King
See post #39 and #66. I didn’t want to wait so I made my own. I did however receive an email from dynatrac saying they shipped warranty parts (no charge) the flanged sleeves are probably sitting at the house. I’ve been out of town for a few days. Speaks highly of the quality of the company, I did not even call and ask for the replacement sleeves. Thanks again to dynatrac for supporting the product.

That is so like Dynatrac. They seriously are proactive with customer service issues and normally address them before the customer even contacts them first.

Four Flusher

I installed the new sleeves last week. The fronts were easy. Backs, we had to open the mounts so the wider sleeves would fit. Torqued at 65LB per Dynatrac.

So at the end of the day, Dynatrac probably rushed getting the kit out but supported their product whole heartedly.

Nicorumiz

I installed the new sleeves last week. The fronts were easy. Backs, we had to open the mounts so the wider sleeves would fit. Torqued at 65LB per Dynatrac.

So at the end of the day, Dynatrac probably rushed getting the kit out but supported their product whole heartedly.
I got mine the other day also so.
Mistakes happens and considering wasn't that big of a deal and they acknowledge the problem I wasn't too worried.
Glad they worked quickly with Fox, that I am assuming was aware of the problem.
I am surprised nobody had issues with the Mopar kit, I've seen one in display and they looked the same to me, with the weird conical shape prone to crushing...
Anyway.
Love the kit and their customer service so far. No complaint.

I didn't install them yet, they will probably go on this weekend or sometimes this week.

JP223/3USA

I finished installing my lift yesterday. Some of the shock crush sleeves misaligned on the rear axle but was able to torque them to the right ft-lbs. Dynatrac said it was fine as long that it gets torqued to the right specs. One issue I had was the bolt at the top of the front shock kept turning. I started low on the torque wrench and ended up with only being able to torque it down to 50 ft-lbs when it’s supposed to be 81 ft-lbs. I know one of the rear up shocks crush sleeves misaligned but I was able to get it torqued to the right specs. I understand that fox has done many tests to confirm their two piece sleeve design will hold up to the recommended torque. I just want to know if they tested these in real life scenarios? Take into account of a guy or gal laying on his driveway sometimes on our backs at weird angles pulling and tugging bolts. IMG_5700.jpg

Last edited:

wwood

I finished installing my lift yesterday. Some of the shock crush sleeves misaligned on the rear axle but was able to torque them to the right ft-lbs. Dynatrac said it was fine as long that it gets torqued to the right specs. One issue I had was the bolt at the top of the front shock kept turning. I started low on the torque wrench and ended up with only being able to torque it down to 50 ft-lbs when it’s supposed to be 81 ft-lbs. I know one of the rear up shocks crush sleeves misaligned but I was able to get it torqued to the right specs. I understand that fox has done many tests to confirm their two piece sleeve design will hold up to the recommended torque. I just want to know if they tested these in real life scenarios? Take into account of a guy or gal laying on his driveway sometimes on our backs at weird angles pulling and tugging bolts. View attachment 6840

Dynatrac recommends 65ft/lbs torque for the upper and lower Fox shock mounting bolts, both front and rear. Not sure what you mean by you were able to get it torqued to the right specs, but it's not supposed to be 81ft/lbs, that was apparently a misprint in the instructions. Dynatrac has a separate schedule of torque settings on the last page of their instructions which says 65ft/lbs for all the shock bolts.

JP223/3USA

Dynatrac recommends 65ft/lbs torque for the upper and lower Fox shock mounting bolts, both front and rear. Not sure what you mean by you were able to get it torqued to the right specs, but it's not supposed to be 81ft/lbs, that was apparently a misprint in the instructions. Dynatrac has a separate schedule of torque settings on the last page of their instructions which says 65ft/lbs for all the shock bolts.

I talked to them yesterday day about the torque specs. This is what I received with my lift kit. This still doesn’t address the issue with me only being able to torque the uppers with 50ft lbs and it crushing. Maybe I pulled the torque wrench at an angle because the passenger side upper bolt is hard to get to. I used two torque wrenches to verify the torque was accurate. Due to my frustration, I will most likely sell these and get the rancho rs9000xl shocksIMG_5702.jpg

Last edited:

JP223/3USA

Ugh. What a bummer. My kit is scheduled to arrive Monday; I was hoping they had worked all of these issues out.

I’m sure mine could’ve been through my installation technique. Sitting in my driveway on my back trying to torque my bolts. I wouldn’t worry if they changed the torque specs to 65 ft-lbs. I just received the wrong instructions if they did change them.

Last edited:

wwood

I talked to them yesterday day about the torque specs. This is what I received with my lift kit. This still doesn’t address the issue with me only being able to torque the uppers with 50ft lbs and it crushing. Maybe I pulled the torque wrench at an angle because the passenger side upper bolt is hard to get to. I used two torque wrenches to verify the torque was accurate. Due to my frustration, I will most likely sell these and get the rancho rs9000xl shocksView attachment 6845

Wow, that new spec sheet is a total surprise to me. I did not know they issued a new list calling for 81ft/lbs on the upper bolt and 74ft/lbs on the lower bolts. I specifically asked on this thread what torque Dynatrac recommended for the new flanged crush sleeves but there was no direct reply so I assumed that the original spec sheet that I received in the instructions remained in place, namely, 65 ft/lbs for all the shock bolts, upper and lower, front and rear.

I have received but have not installed the new flanged crush sleeves for the lower shock bolts because I am not confident that they will work. These new flanged sleeves fit too loose on the bolts and I am worried that they will mis-align and deform at any torque over about 60 ft/lbs. The new flanged sleeves have slightly thinner wall thickness than the original Fox sleeves which is why they are loose on the bolt. Thinner wall thickness probably means they will deform easier. I am currently using the original Fox sleeves but I added grade 8 washers that fit the bolts nice and tight so the sleeves do not get forced into the gap between the bolt and the bracket holes. I cannot torque these bolts over 60 ft/lbs without some deformation. At 65 ft/lbs I cannot get the torque wrench to click twice, the bolt moves slightly before it will click again. If I keep trying to get 65 ft/lbs, the bolt moves again, so I stopped trying that much torque to avoid crushing the sleeves any further. I am able to torque the top bolts to 65 ft/lbs and the wrench will easily click twice with zero bolt movement in between the 2 clicks.

I would like to know if anybody has actually tested the new flanged sleeves for the lower bolts and torqued them to 65 ft/lbs or 74 ft/lbs. If so, were you able to get the torque wrench to click twice with no further bolt movement? A full test would require removing the lower shock bolt and the sleeves to see if they deformed either at the flange end or the other end where the 2 sleeves meet in the middle of the bushing.