Torque settings for Fox shocks in the Dynatrac 2" Lift

Dynatrac

Supporting Advertiser
Supporter
You're definitely talking about 2 completely different options, and I understand the question of "is it worth it to me". I don't do any serious off roading, and will never rock crawl, so the cheap kits are probably sufficient for my use.... probably. :idontknow:
I've looked at a lot of kits so far and haven't decided on any particular one yet. I'm up in the air on whether I want a basic kit, one like the Dynatrac, a kit that has new control arms, or maybe even one that comes with all the above plus track bars. There are tons of options and each person has to decide what is worth it to them. For mine, I'll probably end up somewhere in the middle. I'm not going to drop $2K+ on a lift for a Jeep that will mostly see pavement, and light trails. At the same time I don't think I'll go with the bare bones spacer kit either because I don't want any issues if one of those light trails turns out to be a bit more than "light".

Good point, and good luck picking the kit that's right for you.

Shots -- it sounds like with the type of use you have in mind for your Jeep that ride quality, handling and overall quality of the lift kit will be your key deciding factors. Since you know that most of your miles will be daily driving the Jeep, you don't want to do anything that diminishes the way it drives on road. We paid a lot of attention in the design of our kit to make sure that the EnduroSport handles better and is more stable than even the factory suspension. Don't take our word for it -- Eddie did a good evaluation of our kit and there are a few customers now who have posted their stories and reviews. And we avoided replacing items like control arms that are designed or the factory for 150,000 miles of durability. Just food for thought...

Thanks!

Shots

Thanks for the reply. Eddie's review of your kit is one of the first kits I seriously looked at after buying my JL. Yes, comfort and stability are my primary concerns. I don't do any serious trails, but I also rarely drive on the interstate. I need it to be comfortable on a back country road, and capable on an oil well road leading to my blind. Your kit is on the short list that seems to fit that bill, and a lot of that assumption is based on his video. It was very helpful indeed.
I'm torn because your kit is $1300 (I entered the contest so I guess it's a little cheaper with the discount) but other budget kits like Daystar that retain the stock springs/shocks can be bought for less the $400. Knowing that I'll only be using it for light use makes it difficult to decide if the extra 200% is worth it.
As noted I'm not sure which way to go yet. Daystar is probably the cheapest kit that has many good reviews, but Evo and Dynatrac both offer good products that are in the same price range as the Mopar kit. These are what would probably be considered the middle of the road kits since you can get upgraded versions of both the Evo and Dynatrac kits with lots of extra parts, which moves them to the expensive kits that are more than I need.
Obviously you'll be a bit biased, but that's okay it's your product you should be. This is a good chance to pitch the product. What can you tell me about your lift that will help me make that call? It seems like your kit is made for exactly the kind of use I do, but I gotta say that's a pretty big price jump when I've heard a lot of good things about the Daystar kit, or even the Evo stage 2 kit that will correct the camber change for roughly $300 less. Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

notnalc68

That dude from Mississippi
Thanks for the reply. Eddie's review of your kit is one of the first kits I seriously looked at after buying my JL. Yes, comfort and stability are my primary concerns. I don't do any serious trails, but I also rarely drive on the interstate. I need it to be comfortable on a back country road, and capable on an oil well road leading to my blind. Your kit is on the short list that seems to fit that bill, and a lot of that assumption is based on his video. It was very helpful indeed.
I'm torn because your kit is $1300 (I entered the contest so I guess it's a little cheaper with the discount) but other budget kits like Daystar that retain the stock springs/shocks can be bought for less the $400. Knowing that I'll only be using it for light use makes it difficult to decide if the extra 200% is worth it.
As noted I'm not sure which way to go yet. Daystar is probably the cheapest kit that has many good reviews, but Evo and Dynatrac both offer good products that are in the same price range as the Mopar kit. These are what would probably be considered the middle of the road kits since you can get upgraded versions of both the Evo and Dynatrac kits with lots of extra parts, which moves them to the expensive kits that are more than I need.
Obviously you'll be a bit biased, but that's okay it's your product you should be. This is a good chance to pitch the product. What can you tell me about your lift that will help me make that call? It seems like your kit is made for exactly the kind of use I do, but I gotta say that's a pretty big price jump when I've heard a lot of good things about the Daystar kit, or even the Evo stage 2 kit that will correct the camber change for roughly $300 less. Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Buy once, cry once. Many of us have run different lifts of different prices and quality, on earlier model Jeeps, only to wind up with the lift we thought was too expensive in the first place. You get what you pay for.

Sent from my iPhone using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member

Clearly, you've "heard a lot of good things about the Daystar kit" from people who's only experience has been with running it. If you've actually run coil spacers and factory shocks like I have and then run a quality lift kit like what Dynatrac makes, there's no way you would say anything good about a budget boost other than the fact that it is cheaper. In the end, the factory coils and shocks were never designed to take on the added unsprung weight of bigger and heavier wheels and tires. If you could do an apples to apples side by side test of the two kits, I guarantee you'd say that I'm right.

Dynatrac

Supporting Advertiser
Supporter

As Eddie said in a later response, the ride quality between a spacer kit and a system that includes shocks and springs that are properly designed really can't be compared. We know it's a bit of a spread in price, but we are very confident that the ride and handling you'll experience every time you drive the vehicle will make you feel good about choosing our kit.

aug0211

Torque settings for Fox shocks in the Dynatrac 2" Lift

Hey Dynatrac, are you guys shipping kits with the new crush sleeves now? I saw your notes above (great news on the new testing), but also saw a note about things shipping out corrected in a week or so.

I’m curious if new orders are already shipping with the updated sleeves, or if those are pending and new orders are on hold for that week or so until the crush sleeves are in?

Also, do you (or does anyone) have preferred/recommended bump stops for a Rubi on you lift to clear 37x13.5s at flex?

Last edited:

Shots

Buy once, cry once. Many of us have run different lifts of different prices and quality, on earlier model Jeeps, only to wind up with the lift we thought was too expensive in the first place. You get what you pay for.
I knew the "you get what you pay for" comment was coming. While I do agree that cheap prices often lead to cheap quality, at some point you're paying for a name/reputation/expectation. Case in point, Wrangler jeans for roughly $20 vs Diesel jeans for $100+. They're still denim cotton, dyed blue, with the same YKK zipper. Do you get what you pay for there, or are you paying for the branding? Maybe the designer jeans have a slightly higher quality control, so the dye may be a bit more consistent, or the stitching a little straighter, but is it worth and extra $80 or more?
I'm not trying to say the Dynatrac kit is for branding only, I'm just pointing out that a more expensive price tag doesn't always mean it's a better product. I'm an analytical person and I like to know why something cost more. What makes it worth the extra cost? Does it have better parts, does it do something the other product doesn't? I'm not going to assume an expensive part is overpriced, because it may very well be worth the extra. I've come across plenty of things that are cheap for a reason, because they're cheap products. At the same time I've also come across expensive products that were no better than the moderately priced ones.
I've done lifts on a lot of trucks. Some I've had regrets with, other's I've loved. I know exactly what you mean about the buy once, cry once. If you're going to end up with the expensive kit eventually, buy it the first time and save some time/hassle/expense.

Clearly, you've "heard a lot of good things about the Daystar kit" from people who's only experience has been with running it. If you've actually run coil spacers and factory shocks like I have and then run a quality lift kit like what Dynatrac makes, there's no way you would say anything good about a budget boost other than the fact that it is cheaper. In the end, the factory coils and shocks were never designed to take on the added unsprung weight of bigger and heavier wheels and tires. If you could do an apples to apples side by side test of the two kits, I guarantee you'd say that I'm right.
I agree with what you're saying with the unsprung weight of bigger tires on a stock suspension. However, I'm not changing my tires. I'm keeping my stock rims/tires so the load is unchanged. I had a spacer kit with stock coils/struts on a Ram with oversize tires once. The ride was fine, but not as good as the suspension system I put on the truck following that. This is exactly why I haven't decided on a cheaper kit yet. The part that gives me pause is that I'm keeping my stock tires, so is there $800 worth of difference when you're running stock tires and not doing serious off roading? Is it worth the extra for how I use my Jeep? This is what I'm trying to find out, and why I'm asking the questions. I'm certainly not saying the Daystar kit is the competition for the Dynatrac kit. They're two different approaches and intended uses. I used that as an example of a cheaper kit that people seem to like. Maybe the right kit for me is the Evo kit (stage 2 rather than stage 4 that you installed in March), or the Rancho kit for half the price, that you posted about 2 months. You seemed to really like both of them too. So with stock tires are one of these a better choice? Is the Dynatrac kit worth $600 more than the Rancho kit? If so why?
I know I sound like I'm opposed to the Dynatrac kit, but it's quite the opposite. It sounds great, and I'm trying to find the justification for the added expense.

As Eddie said in a later response, the ride quality between a spacer kit and a system that includes shocks and springs that are properly designed really can't be compared. We know it's a bit of a spread in price, but we are very confident that the ride and handling you'll experience every time you drive the vehicle will make you feel good about choosing our kit.
As mentioned in the response to Eddie, I'm not just comparing to the Daystar kit. Yes I bought it up, but that was more of an example of a cheap kit that people like. As mentioned in my original response to the thread, I'm likely going with a middle of the road lift, so I'm also comparing your kit to other similar kits. What about your kit makes it worth $600 more than the Rancho kit, or $300 more than the Evo kit I previously mentioned? Both of those are also replacing springs and shocks, so what sets yours apart from theirs? Having done a spacer kit before I expect that this will be a better lift than that, but what about other similar kits?

Last edited:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I agree with what you're saying with the unsprung weight of bigger tires on a stock suspension. However, I'm not changing my tires. I'm keeping my stock rims/tires so the load is unchanged. I had a spacer kit with stock coils/struts on a Ram with oversize tires once. The ride was fine, but not as good as the suspension system I put on the truck following that. This is exactly why I haven't decided on a cheaper kit yet. The part that gives me pause is that I'm keeping my stock tires, so is there $800 worth of difference when you're running stock tires and not doing serious off roading? Is it worth the extra for how I use my Jeep? This is what I'm trying to find out, and why I'm asking the questions. I'm certainly not saying the Daystar kit is the competition for the Dynatrac kit. They're two different approaches and intended uses. I used that as an example of a cheaper kit that people seem to like. Maybe the right kit for me is the Evo kit (stage 2 rather than stage 4 that you installed in March), or the Rancho kit for half the price, that you posted about 2 months. You seemed to really like both of them too. So with stock tires are one of these a better choice? Is the Dynatrac kit worth $600 more than the Rancho kit? If so why?
I know I sound like I'm opposed to the Dynatrac kit, but it's quite the opposite. It sounds great, and I'm trying to find the justification for the added expense.

If you're really just going to run your factory wheels and tires, I can't say that I personally would even bother running any lift. Certainly, something like the Rancho kit would be way too tall for such tiny tires and even though it would offer a nicer ride than coil spacers, your Jeep would look silly and your center of gravity would be off. Being that money seems to be an issue for you, I'd just save your money and keep your JL stock.

WiscoHR

Like Eddie said, why bother with a lift. The Rubicon was engineered to run 33” inch tires. If you’re sticking with that size why change anything. The whole point is to use the least amount of lift to fit the tires you plan to run. Keeping the center of gravity as low as possible. That why you’ll find most of us are running 37s on 2-2.5” of lift. I’d say keep it stock. It will ride great and the tires won’t look tiny then.

Shots

If you're really just going to run your factory wheels and tires, I can't say that I personally would even bother running any lift. Certainly, something like the Rancho kit would be way too tall for such tiny tires and even though it would offer a nicer ride than coil spacers, your Jeep would look silly and your center of gravity would be off. Being that money seems to be an issue for you, I'd just save your money and keep your JL stock.
No, it's not that I can't afford the more expensive kit. In fact the reason I CAN afford things like that is because I don't spend extra if a reasonable alternative is available. Why spend more just to spend more, or to assume it's superior just because it has a higher price tag. I still haven't gotten any opinions or specs to say why the Dynatrac kit is worth $600 more than the Rancho kit. Does it ride better, does it handle better, does it offer some sort of feature the Rancho kit doesn't?

As for looking silly. Meh, a matter of opinion I guess. I happen to like it. I know a lot of people want the fenders stuffed but I like a little gap. I'm not rock crawling and I'm not driving/cornering it like a race car so raising the COG an inch or so isn't going to affect me in any way.
Here's a member's JL from the other forum with 2" on stock tires. Looks pretty good if you ask me, but again that's purely my opinion. FWIW, he's running 37's now IIRC.
lift-8-jpg.97242

JTCO

Meme King
I still haven't gotten any opinions or specs to say why the Dynatrac kit is worth $600 more than the Rancho kit. Does it ride better, does it handle better, does it offer some sort of feature the Rancho kit doesn't?

Eddie's covered the pros and cons of each kit many times in videos and here on the forum. But buy what works for you. I personally wouldn't lift it at all like others have said.

Here's a member's JL from the other forum with 2" on stock tires. Looks pretty good if you ask me, but again that's purely my opinion. FWIW, he's running 37's now IIRC.

Since you like this one, go ask him what he's running then and it sounds like you'll be quite happy with that same kit.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
No, it's not that I can't afford the more expensive kit. In fact the reason I CAN afford things like that is because I don't spend extra if a reasonable alternative is available. Why spend more just to spend more, or to assume it's superior just because it has a higher price tag. I still haven't gotten any opinions or specs to say why the Dynatrac kit is worth $600 more than the Rancho kit. Does it ride better, does it handle better, does it offer some sort of feature the Rancho kit doesn't?

LOL!! Unlike you, I don't need to assume anything - I get to test things out and learn from my experiences. I do believe I have covered the areas you're inquiring about but apparently, I am incapable of telling you what you are wanting to hear.

As for looking silly. Meh, a matter of opinion I guess. I happen to like it. I know a lot of people want the fenders stuffed but I like a little gap. I'm not rock crawling and I'm not driving/cornering it like a race car so raising the COG an inch or so isn't going to affect me in any way.
lift-8-jpg.97242

:cheesy: Looks kind of ridiculous to me but clearly, to each their own. Perhaps you should be asking your questions on "the other forum" as you'll probably get more people telling you what you want to here. Just a thought.

ddays v2

I still haven't gotten any opinions or specs to say why the Dynatrac kit is worth $600 more than the Rancho kit. Does it ride better, does it handle better, does it offer some sort of feature the Rancho kit doesn't?

Sounds like you're beating a dead horse here. I think it's been well stated between the test Eddie did, multiple threads, and the responses from Dynatrac as to why this is at the price point it is and why it's a better kit than the Rancho. :idontknow:
R&D costs money. Its gets passed on to the purchaser just like it does with all premium products. It's ok if you don't want to spring the extra $400 or so - it's up to you to decide that for yourself. I'm approaching my upcoming JL purchase completely differently than my JK. I bought too much shit and switched it out instead of doing more thorough research up front. It's a worn out saying but very appropriate: Buy once, cry once.

Shots

Noted. You all think I should leave it stock. Thanks, I appreciate the opinions.
Clearly we're too far gone to save the conversation, but I'll give it one more shot. If not I guess I'll just have to accept that the opinion on why the Dynatrac kit cost more is simply because Eddie's video said it was nice. The problem is, his other videos say the same thing about the other kits he's talking about in those, so that doesn't really help me.
Yes R&D cost money, that's why these kits all cost what they do. Did Dynatrac simply spend more on R&D than Rancho (for example) or is there something else that makes this kit worth more? I guess the question, that nobody seems to be willing to answer, is: Does this kit offer some sort of advantage to similar kits, or did it just cost more to develop? I don't know, maybe that added development time/cost makes it handle the road/trail/etc better. It'd be great to hear.

Eddie, I know you've run many kits, I've watched several of your videos. That's why I was hoping you'd be able to give me some insight rather than me having to make assumptions. That's why I mentioned that. I have to assume, but you've run several kits so you can give actual input. You mention not being able to tell me what I want to hear, but what have you told me?
"..... In the end, the factory coils and shocks were never designed to take on the added unsprung weight of bigger and heavier wheels and tires....."
I appreciate that insight, but I'm not changing my tires. You then respond with
If you're really just going to run your factory wheels and tires, I can't say that I personally would even bother running any lift. Certainly, something like the Rancho kit would be way too tall for such tiny tires and even though it would offer a nicer ride than coil spacers, your Jeep would look silly and your center of gravity would be off......"
Okay, so you don't like a lift on stock tires. But what about the kit? This tells me nothing other than you don't like the look.

Maybe someone could point me in the direction of one of these threads where the Dynatrac kit is compared to a Rancho, Rough Country, or other similar kit. Clearly my question has gone way off topic of this thread, and I'd be more than happy to direct my questions to a thread where it's on topic. You all assume I've seen these posts/threads where the kits have been compared, but I haven't seen them, and can't find them with a search. The best I have found are the videos of each kit, and in each video, Eddie seems to like the kit of the day. The only one that even remotely makes a comparison is when he switches to the Rancho kit, he mentions doing so because the weight of his tires and gear.

Last edited:

JTCO

Meme King
Noted. You all think I should leave it stock. Thanks, I appreciate the opinions.
Clearly we're too far gone to save the conversation, but I'll give it one more shot. If not I guess I'll just have to accept that the opinion on why the Dynatrac kit cost more is simply because Eddie's video said it was nice. The problem is, his other videos say the same thing about the other kits he's talking about in those, so that doesn't really help me.
Yes R&D cost money, that's why these kits all cost what they do. Did Dynatrac simply spend more on R&D than Rancho (for example) or is there something else that makes this kit worth more? I guess the question, that nobody seems to be willing to answer, is: Does this kit offer some sort of advantage to similar kits, or did it just cost more to develop? I don't know, maybe that added development time/cost makes it handle the road/trail/etc better. It'd be great to hear.

Eddie, I know you've run many kits, I've watched several of your videos. That's why I was hoping you'd be able to give me some insight rather than me having to make assumptions. That's why I mentioned that. I have to assume, but you've run several kits so you can give actual input. You mention not being able to tell me what I want to hear, but what have you told me?
"..... In the end, the factory coils and shocks were never designed to take on the added unsprung weight of bigger and heavier wheels and tires....."
I appreciate that insight, but I'm not changing my tires. You then respond with
If you're really just going to run your factory wheels and tires, I can't say that I personally would even bother running any lift. Certainly, something like the Rancho kit would be way too tall for such tiny tires and even though it would offer a nicer ride than coil spacers, your Jeep would look silly and your center of gravity would be off......"
Okay, so you don't like a lift on stock tires. But what about the kit? This tells me nothing other than you don't like the look.

Maybe someone could point me in the direction of one of these threads where the Dynatrac kit is compared to a Rancho, Rough Country, or other similar kit. Clearly my question has gone way off topic of this thread, and I'd be more than happy to direct my questions to a thread where it's on topic. You all assume I've seen these posts/threads where the kits have been compared, but I haven't seen them, and can't find them with a search. The best I have found are the videos of each kit, and in each video, Eddie seems to like the kit of the day. The only one that even remotely makes a comparison is when he switches to the Rancho kit, he mentions doing so because the weight of his tires and gear.

I don't know if anyone will actually be able to answer the question to your satisfaction, however, the Dynatrac kit uses shocks and coils that were specially tuned to work together to achieve the best ride and performance. It's very rare to see this done on other kits. Knowing the time that Dynatrac puts into their other products in the past, this kit will be nothing short of the best that it can be. That's just how Dynatrac does things. You decide how much that's worth to you.

Shots

Thanks WJCO for trying to answer the question. So it sounds like the extra cost is just a result of extra time spent during development. Has anyone compared this kit to something like the Rancho kit?

Sounds like you're beating a dead horse here. I think it's been well stated between the test Eddie did, multiple threads, and the responses from Dynatrac as to why this is at the price point it is and why it's a better kit than the Rancho. :idontknow:
Any links?

Yes Dynatrac responded, and I appreciate their response. Until the last reply they've had the most input, which was actually helpful. After that it turned into telling me I need big tires, and that spacer kits are cheap. That's great, I mentioned at least twice that I'm looking for a kit like this, not the spacer kit which was just an example of other products getting good reviews. I guess I shouldn't have brought that kit up, because clearly it confused everyone (even one of the two responses from Dynatrac address it).

Shots

....Dynatrac kit uses shocks and coils that were specially tuned to work together to achieve the best ride and performance. It's very rare to see this done on other kits....
So are the other kits focused more on handling the load of heavier tires (which is clearly a concern for most people), or suspension travel, etc?
Thanks again, this is the kind of info I was looking for. This type of stuff tells me why the Dynatrac kit is priced where it is, when compared to another similar style kits.

notnalc68

That dude from Mississippi
Thanks WJCO for trying to answer the question. So it sounds like the extra cost is just a result of extra time spent during development. Has anyone compared this kit to something like the Rancho kit?

Any links?

Yes Dynatrac responded, and I appreciate their response. Until the last reply they've had the most input, which was actually helpful. After that it turned into telling me I need big tires, and that spacer kits are cheap. That's great, I mentioned at least twice that I'm looking for a kit like this, not the spacer kit which was just an example of other products getting good reviews. I guess I shouldn't have brought that kit up, because clearly it confused everyone (even one of the two responses from Dynatrac address it).

It’s all here, in threads about the different lifts. Sorry, I don’t have time to find it for you, but it’s here.

OverlanderJL

Resident Smartass
So are the other kits focused more on handling the load of heavier tires (which is clearly a concern for most people), or suspension travel, etc?
Thanks again, this is the kind of info I was looking for. This type of stuff tells me why the Dynatrac kit is priced where it is, when compared to another similar style kits.

You should buy the cheaper kit. Seems like it’s more your style.