Torque settings for Fox shocks in the Dynatrac 2" Lift

Dynatrac

Supporting Advertiser
Supporter
1. A hundred dollar difference between reality and what you had 'thought' the price was going to be doesn't seem like a huge deal for a quality lift kit, in my opinion.
2. Why should anyone offer a discount? I'm not following....
3. Here's what I know from past experience with Dynatrac. They care about quality and customer satisfaction. They'll do everything they can to make this right. That's what they do.

Thanks WJCO! We are working through this with FOX and will make sure that everything is right.

aug0211

I had to fix an upper end that was moving a little got crushed a lot trying to go to the wrong torque. I assume my share of responsibility there. everything else is re-torqued to 65 and nice and tight. I don’t see there being any problem. My only complaint is the directions, yes the right numbers are there, but as you follow along you come to the wrong specs first. I’m sure this will be corrected. I am happy with the lift and the ride quality. I am in NO way suggesting anyone avoid this product.

Sent from my iPhone using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

Awesome - thank you for that reassurance.

We will update the instructions -- please check the instructions that come with your kit. Thanks!
Thanks WJCO! We are working through this with FOX and will make sure that everything is right.

Thanks Dynatrac! If I'm not in a huge hurry, is it worth waiting a little bit for FOX to update the crush sleeves? Trying to avoid needing to do the work twice (this will be a rookie DIY with no lift so I'd love to it once and do it right - part of the motivation of skipping a budget boost and going straight do "the real deal").

Nicorumiz

Same thing happened to me....

I noticed the bracket "bending" on the rear while torquing @ 80 but was too late.
Didn't really noticed anything in the front but the same thing happened.

I just removed the shocks and I have bended bolts and bushing crushed on the lower side.
The top side is fine, that bushing is twice the side.

I just left a VM to Dynatrac, hopefully I can get them fast.

jl.JPG

other side

jl2.JPG

Last edited:

aug0211

Same thing happened to me....

I noticed the bracket "bending" on the rear while torquing @ 80 but was too late.
Didn't really noticed anything in the front but the same thing happened.

I just removed the shocks and I have bended bolts and bushing crushed on the lower side.
The top side is fine, that bushing is twice the side.

I just left a VM to Dynatrac, hopefully I can get them fast.

View attachment 6118

other side

View attachment 6119

I spoke with Dyna today and it sounds like they will have a fix very soon.

Nicorumiz

This is my "solution" for now.

12.9 bolts with two nuts to lock them in place without tightening the bracket too much.

Hopefully they stay put and don't spin around damaging the bracket until we get a proper bushing.

IMO the bushing installed is too thin and too short, allowing the bracket to bend and crash it.

Is anyone getting a squeaking noise with this lift installed from the rear, driver side?
Not sure if it is the bushing or the spring insulators somewhere....maybe it just needs to settle a bit.

JL3.JPG

Dynatrac

Supporting Advertiser
Supporter
Thanks everyone for posting your findings on the forum. Dynatrac always appreciates when users get involved in making our products better. I thought it would be good to add some more information to it, so everyone has the latest facts. Here goes.

Fox Factory conducted a series of more tests today on the new sleeves and they are confident they have resolved the problem for us. Here is why:

In order for the bolted compression test to be accurate, the 2 halves of the bushing sleeves must meet concentrically in the middle. Obviously if they do not, then the steel will deform since it is point loaded (all force applied to a very tiny area). When loaded into the urethane bushing, and then tightened, the sleeves will be held concentrically, spreading the load into the whole bushing.

The new sleeves Fox is providing for our shocks are superior to the prior embodiment we are replacing. Here is why we think so:

• The newly added flange on the sleeves contributes to holding the sleeves aligned as they are tightened, and prevents the point load pitfall which was the root cause of the original sleeve failing for some users. The new sleeves are also slightly longer so the factory bracket will “close” on it with less misalignment.
  • The holes in the OEM JL shock mounts are large for easy assembly line install. They are also “V’d open” for the same reason. Depending on the exact position of the shock when tightened, our original sleeve would push through the OEM bracket holes, misalign and deform from point loading. As was mentioned earlier in this thread by drhcobra and Nicorumiz. The flange and length improvements resolve this.
  • Fox Factory confirms they have deployed the same sleeve design in millions of shock applications without any issues. They tested the compression of the new EnduroSport sleeves to full bolt torque multiple times, and as long as they are installed in the eyelet bushing, they showed negligible deformation.
  • The flange on the new sleeve will also provide more support for the sleeves where they meet in the center when the shock cycles up and down.
  • As an extra precaution, when installing the shocks and tightening the eyelet bolts, it is best to have the shocks fully extended and relaxed to prevent unexpected sleeve misalignment. Our instructions shall call this out more emphatically in the future.

Dynatrac thinks Fox has done a great job of responding to this issue in just a matter of a few days. Dynatrac will have all new sleeves loaded in all EnduroSport kits shipping from now on. We are standing by to help anyone that needs replacement sleeves or bolts for the kits they have already received. Thanks again for your input. If anyone has any further recommendations on ways we can improve, or needs assistance, please call us at 714-596-4461 x-204.

Nicorumiz

Thanks everyone for posting your findings on the forum. Dynatrac always appreciates when users get involved in making our products better. I thought it would be good to add some more information to it, so everyone has the latest facts. Here goes.

Fox Factory conducted a series of more tests today on the new sleeves and they are confident they have resolved the problem for us. Here is why:

In order for the bolted compression test to be accurate, the 2 halves of the bushing sleeves must meet concentrically in the middle. Obviously if they do not, then the steel will deform since it is point loaded (all force applied to a very tiny area). When loaded into the urethane bushing, and then tightened, the sleeves will be held concentrically, spreading the load into the whole bushing.

The new sleeves Fox is providing for our shocks are superior to the prior embodiment we are replacing. Here is why we think so:

• The newly added flange on the sleeves contributes to holding the sleeves aligned as they are tightened, and prevents the point load pitfall which was the root cause of the original sleeve failing for some users. The new sleeves are also slightly longer so the factory bracket will “close” on it with less misalignment.
  • The holes in the OEM JL shock mounts are large for easy assembly line install. They are also “V’d open” for the same reason. Depending on the exact position of the shock when tightened, our original sleeve would push through the OEM bracket holes, misalign and deform from point loading. As was mentioned earlier in this thread by drhcobra and Nicorumiz. The flange and length improvements resolve this.
  • Fox Factory confirms they have deployed the same sleeve design in millions of shock applications without any issues. They tested the compression of the new EnduroSport sleeves to full bolt torque multiple times, and as long as they are installed in the eyelet bushing, they showed negligible deformation.
  • The flange on the new sleeve will also provide more support for the sleeves where they meet in the center when the shock cycles up and down.
  • As an extra precaution, when installing the shocks and tightening the eyelet bolts, it is best to have the shocks fully extended and relaxed to prevent unexpected sleeve misalignment. Our instructions shall call this out more emphatically in the future.

Dynatrac thinks Fox has done a great job of responding to this issue in just a matter of a few days. Dynatrac will have all new sleeves loaded in all EnduroSport kits shipping from now on. We are standing by to help anyone that needs replacement sleeves or bolts for the kits they have already received. Thanks again for your input. If anyone has any further recommendations on ways we can improve, or needs assistance, please call us at 714-596-4461 x-204.
Thanks a lot for taking this seriously and keep us updated.

The only question for us in needs of replacement bushings, how do we get in touch and what is the turnaround for them?

Thanks.

Nico

Sent from my SM-N960U using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

wwood

Thanks for this info. When you say Fox tested the new flange sleeves to "full bolt torque", what was the full bolt torque that they used and what torque setting are you recommending that we use on the new flange sleeves? Thanks again!

drhcobra

Thanks Dynatrac for the support. When its all said and done, you have a good product and everyone should be happy with it as I am.:thumb:
flex-6.jpg

OverlanderJL

Resident Smartass
1. Agreed - as a rule of thumb, I am always willing to spend about 10% more than my original "budget" for improved quality. My original budget was $200 for a budget boost. So... selling myself on the $1,200 was already 600% of my original plan. This is not a question of a fair price or value of Dynatrac, it's a question as to whether the value is there *for my use case* compared to a cheaper spacer kit. Also, take it easy on the "reality" vs what I "thought" - I may have made an honest mistake. Did Eddie not say $1,200 in the install video? I may have made a mistake and misheard.

2. Nobody has to or needs to. I may be mistaken, but I was almost sure Eddie's install video on this kit said $1,200 - then when I saw the $1,300 on the Dyna site, I thought maybe there is a forum discount code that dropped it $100. Of course that's never required, lol - it's a free market. Do you disagree that it's cool when vendors offer forum discounts?

3. I do have an instant message chat going with them which is cool - my last question was about the crushing and torque specs. I'm hoping to get an idea as to whether they have a fix around the corner that makes sense to wait on, or if I should wait for SEMA as we know the market will likely explode then.

At the end of the day, my situation is that I'm on the fence as to whether I will appreciate the value of a spring + shock kit over a spacer kit. That plus the price difference between $1,300 and, lets say ~400... plus the new issue with the sleeves crushing are all that is keeping me from ordering now.

You are the reason people will hate JL owners.

Dynatrac

Supporting Advertiser
Supporter
Thanks for this info. When you say Fox tested the new flange sleeves to "full bolt torque", what was the full bolt torque that they used and what torque setting are you recommending that we use on the new flange sleeves? Thanks again!

Multiple samples were each tested through multiple torque cycles at 80 lb-ft and then again and 100 lb-ft. We do not recommend exceeding the factory rated fastener torque. The OEM fasteners include locking thread features so slightly lower torque settings are unlikely to show any detrimental affects.

Not all EnduroSport customers have shown sleeve issues. This could be due to unknown factors including installation technique. It's impossible to say at this stage. One day we may learn more, but getting our people squared away and confident is our top priority. The new flanged sleeves will be made available absolutely free to all Dynatrac customers that want to install them. They will also be included in all kits going forward.

Shots

..... My original budget was $200 for a budget boost. So... selling myself on the $1,200 was already 600% of my original plan. This is not a question of a fair price or value of Dynatrac, it's a question as to whether the value is there *for my use case* compared to a cheaper spacer kit .....
You're definitely talking about 2 completely different options, and I understand the question of "is it worth it to me". I don't do any serious off roading, and will never rock crawl, so the cheap kits are probably sufficient for my use.... probably. :idontknow:
I've looked at a lot of kits so far and haven't decided on any particular one yet. I'm up in the air on whether I want a basic kit, one like the Dynatrac, a kit that has new control arms, or maybe even one that comes with all the above plus track bars. There are tons of options and each person has to decide what is worth it to them. For mine, I'll probably end up somewhere in the middle. I'm not going to drop $2K+ on a lift for a Jeep that will mostly see pavement, and light trails. At the same time I don't think I'll go with the bare bones spacer kit either because I don't want any issues if one of those light trails turns out to be a bit more than "light".

Good point, and good luck picking the kit that's right for you.

drhcobra

FWIW for those who are still concerned about the sleeve issue. I made some flanged sleeves and installed them today. I can confirm that this will solve the problem. Everything straight and solid and tight, no mushy feel. I stuck with the 65 Ft/lbs although it felt like it could handle more. Love the ride!

flanged sleeve.jpg

Nicorumiz

Multiple samples were each tested through multiple torque cycles at 80 lb-ft and then again and 100 lb-ft. We do not recommend exceeding the factory rated fastener torque. The OEM fasteners include locking thread features so slightly lower torque settings are unlikely to show any detrimental affects.

Not all EnduroSport customers have shown sleeve issues. This could be due to unknown factors including installation technique. It's impossible to say at this stage. One day we may learn more, but getting our people squared away and confident is our top priority. The new flanged sleeves will be made available absolutely free to all Dynatrac customers that want to install them. They will also be included in all kits going forward.
When are the sleeve going to be available to us with damaged one?

Thanks

Nico

Sent from my SM-N960U using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app