WEIRD problem with iPhone GPS and CarPLAY

mvellon

When I first plug my phone into my car play enabled 2018 JLU sport, all mapping apps (Apple, Waze and Google) think that I am in Everett, WA - where I bought my Jeep. It takes a good 10 minutes before the problem corrects itself. What's really weird is that if I start Waze (or other app) before connecting to car play, the phone knows where it is, but when I plug in the USB cable, it immediately thinks it's in Everett.

My naive interpretation is that when car play is active, the phone is actually using a GPS receiver in the Jeep (note I have no nav system in my Sport). Somehow, the car GPS defaults to the dealer location until it picks up enough satellites to correct itself.

Anyone else having this problem?

Thx

darrenroos

When I first plug my phone into my car play enabled 2018 JLU sport, all mapping apps (Apple, Waze and Google) think that I am in Everett, WA - where I bought my Jeep. It takes a good 10 minutes before the problem corrects itself. What's really weird is that if I start Waze (or other app) before connecting to car play, the phone knows where it is, but when I plug in the USB cable, it immediately thinks it's in Everett.

My naive interpretation is that when car play is active, the phone is actually using a GPS receiver in the Jeep (note I have no nav system in my Sport). Somehow, the car GPS defaults to the dealer location until it picks up enough satellites to correct itself.

Anyone else having this problem?

Thx

Mine started to do the same thing last week. I thought it was an issue with my phone but hearing your story makes me think it’s a Jeep thing.

Sent from my iPhone using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

Cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
Not to sound stupid but did you guys recently update to the latest Apple update that came out about a week ago? I know I did and if anything maps work even better now with car play for me.

darrenroos

After the IOS update is when my issue seem to have started. My phone has my work address as my default origin point when I try to use iPhone based navigation. I have to completely power off and on my phone, restart the navigation without the phone plugged in, drive for a mile along the navigation route and then plug in my phone (with fingers crossed) to make it work.

Sent from my iPhone using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

This started with me on iOS 11 & an iPhone 7. I got an Xs & am on 12 and it still happens. Mine thinks I’m at home when I plug in.

Just got off with a senior rep at apple who works on CarPlay & maps. Every manufacturer implements CarPlay differently. Unconnect uses the Jeeps GPS antenna & sends it to iOS as a location. The Jeep caches where it thinks it is until it has a lock. That’s why unplugging your phone fixes map’s location. I bet there’s a way in settings in Uconnect to reset it. I’m going to RTFM and poke around to see what I can figure out.