30-inch LED Light Bar Hood Mount by Rough Country

doubletapdaddy

Caught the Bug
Good grief, did you see the glare on the hood in the video? It looks like that thing would blind front seat passengers. I myself would never install a hood-mounted light bar, however if you're really into the looks, and you never plan to drop your windshield, and never intend to fully open your hood then go for it. Take no offense, as I see how some of these mods are very alluring.

OconRecon

... however if you're really into the looks...

Yeah, that's a lot of it. Didn't want "light bar prominence", although I get many do.

No drill, and easy to change directions one day is nice.

All 12 reviews are 5 stars so far on RC. Not that means everything or anything. One mentions hood glare.

Guess nothing is for everybody. You make some good points. TY.

doubletapdaddy

Caught the Bug
OconRecon, I see in your signature that you have a hitch mounted cargo carrier. I've been thinking about picking one up. How do you like yours? If you could do it over would you pick a different brand or look for different features? I mainly need it for firewood, but I'll probably end up using it for other things as well.

OconRecon

Looking like this is one of those preference dealeos. Hearing from those who don't care for this application, but not yet from anyone who installed it. May few are! lol.

LauraRose

I definitely want to add lights but so far I'm not crazy about anything but the KC FLEX ARRAY LIGHT BARS... but man they're expensive, so I'll wait on that! A lift, tires, wheels & winch are at the top of my mod list... today anyway, lol!

Laura Rose from PA

Cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
Would Deff skip on a hood mounted light bar. They reflect like crazy. Even the A pillar lights I think are blinding

Cwadle

Not going to pretend that a hood mounted light bar is the best lighting type you can get, but it certainly isn’t a bad deal. Now the only real issue with a hood mounted light bar would be the reflection off the hood. Now it’s definitely notice, but I wouldn’t call it blinding. The issues others listed just simply are not present. It doesn’t whistle, it doesn’t block view and It doesn’t limit your hood opening. Now compared to other lights it might not be the best, but if you intend on installing the lights 1st for styling than 2nd for off-road use, than there’s nothing wrong with the buy.

Sent from my iPhone using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
With this light bar installed you cannot fold the windshield, and you cannot fully open the hood. The product page says that the hood must not extend beyond prop length.

Well that's just stupid. I can't tell you how often I lean the hood on the windshield to do work in my engine compartment. Allows tons of light and just makes life so much easier. That alone would keep me from running something like this. Of course, that glare would be obnoxious too.

JTCO

Meme King
Well that's just stupid. I can't tell you how often I lean the hood on the windshield to do work in my engine compartment. Allows tons of light and just makes life so much easier. That alone would keep me from running something like this. Of course, that glare would be obnoxious too.

Same here. Makes working on the engine way easier.

OconRecon

Well, I'm going to give it a whirl.
Will report back with pros and cons.
I'm betting you all are more right than wrong - ha.

FWIW - my installer already did one of these on a JLUR and says it's quiet ("that's why I like it", he said) and does not limit hood opening.

So, if those cons are false, then I'd sure like to hear from those who have actually tried this lightbar, vs those who are throwing false cold water based on nothing.

Last edited:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Well, I'm going to give it a whirl.
Will report back with pros and cons.
I'm betting you all are more right than wrong - ha.

FWIW - my installer already did one of these on a JLUR and says it's quiet ("that's why I like it", he said) and does not limit hood opening.

So, if those cons are false, then I'd sure like to hear from those who have actually tried this lightbar, vs those who are throwing false cold water based on nothing.

There's nothing false about the glare that I'm seeing in the video. Likewise, there's nothing false about you not being able to fully open the hood. Again, the product page says that the hood must not extend beyond prop length. As far as light bars go, I've yet to see one that doesn't whistle but there's always a first I suppose.

OconRecon

Like I said, you all know more than I do on this, but will still report back with a pros and cons list to help others, since I'll have a actual post-installation use-case to report on.

List might be "Pros - inexpensive", "Cons - sucks on all fronts!" lol

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Like I said, you all know more than I do on this, but will still report back with a pros and cons list to help others, since I'll have a actual post-installation use-case to report on.

List might be "Pros - inexpensive", "Cons - sucks on all fronts!" lol

LOL!! Not sure why you feel the need to get one in the first place but clearly, it's something you really want. I hope you find any con there might be something you can deal with or non-existent.