Lyman's JL Story

13_gecko_rubi

On the XD60 the supports for the control arms were to big and buried the nut inside them. I just could not get to it. Although the tools are cool and might pick them up.

So the nut you linked is the exact one I popped the top off haha. I need one at least 1/4" longer(so 2.25")

The Axles are 68.5" wide and let me tell you those tire are still sticking out about 3". Im happy I didn't go wider for my purposes.

As soon as I can get it back on four wheels today or tomorrow I will post more pictures showing how wide these are. I will also get lengths on how high the springs are sitting compared to the stock ones.

Lyman
They do make longer ones. I run splined lugs on my PR80. I got them from the local Belle tire. The studs are super long for sure.

Sent via....

LauraRose

Love the way your JL is coming together. Can't wait to see more pictures!! :thumb:

Where do you plan to install your air compressor?

Last edited:

YAHAHA

This is one tasty build. Suscribed to keep up with all of the good work you are doing. Like others, I can't wait to see some more pictures of this best as it transforms.

It's not just a Jeep, it's an amusement park on wheels.

Lyman

So yesterday I was able to get the front axle all hooked up. Although I ran into a couple issue one not so bad the other will stop me from getting here on the road this weekend.
So here is another cool picture showing the difference between the dynatrac and stock axle

DSCN1280.jpg

So wanting to get this up and running this weekend I had to take break to head down to Tom Woods and pick up my driveline.

DSCN1288.jpg

So the first issue of the day was... well see below.

DSCN1283.jpg

So while I was out I went down to Hose and Rubber and had some custom 42" brake lines built. Also stopped by discount for the front splined lugnuts.

So after getting back here the front axle almost in.

DSCN1282.jpg

So last night I had just finished up torqueing everything down and was installing the tierod. Well this is where things went wrong. It appears Dynatrac sent me the tierod for a 72.5' axle not for the 68.5" one I have. So I was bummed. Im sure Dynatrac will hook me up with the right one Monday, but it wont be on the road. However I did get the tires on and man does it look good. I mean the lift and tires totally transform the look I am supper happy with how it turned out.

I will push it out of the garage today and get some good pics for later today.

Lyman

Lyman

So today consisted of getting the drag link tightened up and adjusted, Installing the rear driveline and bleeding the brakes(Thanks Phil for pumping the brake). Went through a whole quart of brake fluid. I will need another quart and another round bleeding, but there is some pedal there for now. After getting it some what cleaned up I was able to get it out of the garage and take some pictures. Took me a bit to get it out with no tie rod the tire kept turning. The sun has not been out for awhile here, but I think with my camera anyway the red is a lot more red then when in the sun it was almost orange. I need a new camera I know. Tonight and tomorrow I will be working on installing the ARB air compressor and air line as well as the factory hitch wiring kit.

So I am super happy how it turned out. It looks like the back is a little higher than the front, but I will put my bike rack on and throw some stuff in the back to weight it down a little to see if I can settle it out a some. Hopefully I can get the new tie rod next week and get this thing on the road. I think I need to order up some stickers soon as well.

So here it is enjoy!

DSCN1290.jpg
DSCN1291.jpg
DSCN1292.jpg
DSCN1293.jpg
DSCN1296.jpg
DSCN1297.jpg

Lyman

I looked at a couple different ways to to mount the compressor. I found someone who was able to to shoe horn one under the brake booster with some special built brackets. I also saw one manufacturer have a bracket
that put it right behind the passanger seat up on the side. I didnt like the first due to having to build special brackets and I hate to see a $500 piece of equipment like that in the elements as well as the selinoid. Putting it behind
the passenger seat put it in the cab and this thing is not quite and thought it would be to loud. So here is where I ended up putting it.

DSCN1313.jpg

Its is still a little loud but better under the cargo tray. Some may say that this is a waste of good storage. Well if I have the back piled up with stuff taking it all out to get to this didnt seem reasonable. Also if you look this seems to fit
perfectly here. Almost like Jeep said put it here.

My Jeep was a sport and therefore came with no powere windows. So where did I put the switches you say? I found me a a piece of sample wood laminate a homedepot and put some holes in it. I plan to have a buddy of mine make
me a 3D printed one soon. I drilled a hole in the back of the cubby hole fed the wires through and and sandwiched the new piece between the front facing and the cubby. To supply the ignition power I cut the pink wire going to the back
of the 12V power source in the dash. I then added an extra wire to hook up to the ARB switches. I had to extend the ARB harness to reach all the way to the back. I also rewired the switches so I could switch the front ARB without
having the rear in first.

DSCN1312.jpg

The power wires for the compressor I ran from ther battery down the top right side of the frame. I was going to run it inside but for one was not sure if I could get the big wires to fit under the plastic trays and two getting it through the fire
wall was to big of a pain. I had to extend these power wires by about 8 feet.

Also last Wednesday I recieved the new trac bar from dynatrac and had it on the road Friday. I have been driving it since. It rides a little rougher, but not much. Although when I hit a big bump it seems to hit had up front.
Not sure why at this point. There was also a definate loss of power and my gas mileage went from 22-23 to about 15. Im not complaining here and this was all expected. On the upside it looks fantastic and I can already tell that this
Jeep will be a beast offroad. I like being up high again. I also like seeing how many lights I can make go off on my dash. So far 3.

Deer hunt is this weekend and I will have pictures and a story to tell when I get back. Here are some good shots of the Jeep.

DSCN1309.jpg
DSCN1310.jpg

Lyman

I looked at a couple different ways to to mount the compressor. I found someone who was able to to shoe horn one under the brake booster with some special built brackets. I also saw one manufacturer have a bracket
that put it right behind the passanger seat up on the side. I didnt like the first due to having to build special brackets and I hate to see a $500 piece of equipment like that in the elements as well as the selinoid. Putting it behind
the passenger seat put it in the cab and this thing is not quite and thought it would be to loud. So here is where I ended up putting it.

View attachment 6257

Its is still a little loud but better under the cargo tray. Some may say that this is a waste of good storage. Well if I have the back piled up with stuff taking it all out to get to this didnt seem reasonable. Also if you look this seems to fit
perfectly here. Almost like Jeep said put it here.

My Jeep was a sport and therefore came with no powere windows. So where did I put the switches you say? I found me a a piece of sample wood laminate a homedepot and put some holes in it. I plan to have a buddy of mine make
me a 3D printed one soon. I drilled a hole in the back of the cubby hole fed the wires through and and sandwiched the new piece between the front facing and the cubby. To supply the ignition power I cut the pink wire going to the back
of the 12V power source in the dash. I then added an extra wire to hook up to the ARB switches. I had to extend the ARB harness to reach all the way to the back. I also rewired the switches so I could switch the front ARB without
having the rear in first.

View attachment 6258

The power wires for the compressor I ran from ther battery down the top right side of the frame. I was going to run it inside but for one was not sure if I could get the big wires to fit under the plastic trays and two getting it through the fire
wall was to big of a pain. I had to extend these power wires by about 8 feet.

Also last Wednesday I recieved the new trac bar from dynatrac and had it on the road Friday. I have been driving it since. It rides a little rougher, but not much. Although when I hit a big bump it seems to hit had up front.
Not sure why at this point. There was also a definate loss of power and my gas mileage went from 22-23 to about 15. Im not complaining here and this was all expected. On the upside it looks fantastic and I can already tell that this
Jeep will be a beast offroad. I like being up high again. I also like seeing how many lights I can make go off on my dash. So far 3.

Deer hunt is this weekend and I will have pictures and a story to tell when I get back. Here are some good shots of the Jeep.

View attachment 6259
View attachment 6260

Lyman
Lyman, who made those special brackets? I'd like to mount my compressor under the hood, if possible.

2018 JLUR. V6. Auto.

Lyman

The brackets were made by some guy in his garage. So you would need to fabricate these yourself as well.

The XD60's are 68.5" wide with ARB's and 4.88's.

Last edited:

Lyman

I meant link other forums not mention. Sorry if I did anything wrong. Please PM me if I have or let me know here.

Lyman

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I meant link other forums not mention. Sorry if I did anything wrong. Please PM me if I have or let me know here.

Lyman

Right, because nobody knows what the "other forums" are. :rolleyes2:

If you know "it is not kosher to mention other forums", don't. It really is really that simple.

Rellik

I learned a while back on Eddie's other forum that when your dealing with someone livelihood the things that us forum users think of as minor and not important can effect what he does for a living. As a small business owner myself I completely understand how and why Eddie reacts the way he does to posts such as these.

JTCO

Meme King
I learned a while back on Eddie's other forum that when your dealing with someone livelihood the things that us forum users think of as minor and not important can effect what he does for a living. As a small business owner myself I completely understand how and why Eddie reacts the way he does to posts such as these.

It's also about the time they spend trying to provide good, solid, accurate information and also the time they spend doing videos, write-ups, trip reports, etc to share with members here.