Lift confusion

Jetboy

Keep the info coming. I’m still undecided . I’m just not sure.
The 2” looks high enough, but I’m doing bumpers, tire carrier, sliders, winch. So I don’t want it to sit to low. (Still looking for a place to buy LOD)
Like the reports on Dynatrac. But still not understanding the 1200$ price for shocks and springs. W/no arms ect. So manny others have lots of parts at that price point. Guess I’m missing something.

Really like the Wright ups on all the dual rate spring setups.
But
With no experience, it’s hard to tell BS and good stuff apart.

Sent from my iPad using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

NFRs2000NYC

Keep the info coming. I’m still undecided . I’m just not sure.
The 2” looks high enough, but I’m doing bumpers, tire carrier, sliders, winch. So I don’t want it to sit to low. (Still looking for a place to buy LOD)
Like the reports on Dynatrac. But still not understanding the 1200$ price for shocks and springs. W/no arms ect. So manny others have lots of parts at that price point. Guess I’m missing something.

Really like the Wright ups on all the dual rate spring setups.
But
With no experience, it’s hard to tell BS and good stuff apart.

The cost is engineering. Most aftermarket companies (not just for jeeps) simply make parts for vehicles to FIT. Some companies actually engineer their products to work with a particular vehicle, and for that, you pay a premium.

Ben10Beers

Just because something "looks" good doesn't mean that it "is" good. Being that this manager at an off road shop is a friend, I won't say what I normally would and that's off road shop salesmen will always push what they stock or are out to make the most profit on. Me, I've personally installed and tested out a number of TeraFlex products over the years and have found the quality of them to be sub-standard. I have personally seen multiple products of theirs fail time and time again including their tire carrier, control arm joints, long arm brackets and yes, even their Falcon shocks. I would NOT recommend them.

As far as shocks go, if you're running coils with a nice spring rate and a good set of monotube shocks, there should be no need to adjust them for different terrain. Fox is a good brand, King is probably one of the best but if you're working on a budget, there's always Rancho and their 9000's which are adjustable.

Yeah the "looks good" part came out a little wrong. I guess I was sucked into their marketing a bit haha. And that's why I joined this to get recommendations from people that use different products. Good to know that Falcon is not as good as I thought I wasn't overly pumped to spend 2200 CAD on shocks either. If you don't mind what would you recommend for a lift and shocks. I'm not on a strict budget but not in the king shock realm either.

Jetboy

I have the Dynatrac Enduro Sport 2" with 37 STT Pros and couldn't be happier. I had the Mopar 2" w/35s on my 2017 and IMO I prefer the Dynatrac. Mine is a DD 90% and playing off road on the east coast for now. Headed out west next summer.

Got a picture of your JL ? Edit: I found one on an older post.
How do you think it will do with bumpers, winch, sliders, ect and a load?

Y’all think I could just put a 1” spacer in springs if it drops to much?

Last edited:

Resqnu

Got a picture of your JL ? Edit: I found one on an older post.
How do you think it will do with bumpers, winch, sliders, ect and a load?

Y’all think I could just put a 1” spacer in springs if it drops to much?

That will be my plan. I will be adding LOD bumpers, sliders and a Zeon 10s. If I loose any lift, I will add a 3/4 or 1" spacers. Check out Eddie's Dynatrac lift install video. He installs spacers to offset the front bumper and winch.

Jetboy

That will be my plan. I will be adding LOD bumpers, sliders and a Zeon 10s. If I loose any lift, I will add a 3/4 or 1" spacers. Check out Eddie's Dynatrac lift install video. He installs spacers to offset the front bumper and winch.

Great looking Jeep.

I guess I remember him saying that and just forgot.

Just not sure if spacing back and front instead of going to 3.0 springs is the right thing to do? I feel like I’d be compromising the engineering that everyone talks about. Do I really want a lift I have to space? Or one that takes this into its engineering at the start?

Last edited:

Resqnu

Thanks. Guess it depends on what you are going to use your Jeep for. I prefer the LCG look. IMO, I wouldn’t think spacers would affect the ride quality or engineering since all they are really doing is extending the attachment point where the springs mount. But I’m no engineer. Hopefully someone with more experience will chime in. Good luck deciding.

Sent from my iPhone using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

Four Flusher

I have the Dynatrac lift and K02 in 315 with LOD destroyer and Zeon 10, I don't feel the need for a front spacer, that said I like the front a bit lower. Here's a pic, load with gear in the rear.

Attachments

• fullsizeoutput_28f4.jpg
    fullsizeoutput_28f4.jpg
    141.9 KB · Views: 227

aug0211

Loving this thread and in info in here.

Just an hour ago while I was drying the Jeep after a wash, I was thinking “what are the main differences between the Fox shocks and the Falcons?”. Love learning and getting to see new info posted in here.

I’m leaning toward the Daystar 2” spacer lift for now.

I just haven’t seen anything totally convincing me that the ride quality is going to improve with a full blown lift, so I’m thinking I’ll save the $800+ difference and go with the Daystar spacer with shock extensions and extended bump stops.

Am I missing something? Is there a 1.5”-2”lift available that is going to give an improved ride quality?

I understand I’ll get more flex with the full springs and shocks combination (compared to spacers with extended bumps), but I’m willing to give up that bit of flex for my use.

Almost forgot, here are a few photos on completely level ground (per the Jeep’s EVIC) and 1/2 tank of gas, and no weight in the front or back. Do you all see much rake? My eye really can’t detect any, which shocks me since I’ve added a Mopar steel bumper, steel skid, Zeon 10-S, and of course winch plate since buying it.

IMG_1258.JPGIMG_1260.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile appIMG_1259.JPG

Last edited:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Just an hour ago while I was drying the Jeep after a wash, I was thinking “what are the main differences between the Fox shocks and the Falcons?”. Love learning and getting to see new info posted in here.

Fox Shocks won't blow seals like this...
20181006135517-62602a0f-me.jpg

Or break bar pins like this...
20181006135516-fe5c11ff-me.png

I just haven’t seen anything totally convincing me that the ride quality is going to improve with a full blown lift, so I’m thinking I’ll save the $800+ difference and go with the Daystar spacer with shock extensions and extended bump stops.

Am I missing something? Is there a 1.5”-2”lift available that is going to give an improved ride quality?

Actually, based on my personal experience testing out lift kits, there is...

I understand I’ll get more flex with the full springs and shocks combination (compared to spacers with extended bumps), but I’m willing to give up that bit of flex for my use.[/QUOTE]

It's not just the flex, your factory coils and shocks will have a harder time keeping up with the unsprung weight of bigger and heavier wheels and tires.

aug0211

Fox Shocks won't blow seals like this...
20181006135517-62602a0f-me.jpg

Or break bar pins like this...
20181006135516-fe5c11ff-me.png

Actually, based on my personal experience testing out lift kits, there is...

I understand I’ll get more flex with the full springs and shocks combination (compared to spacers with extended bumps), but I’m willing to give up that bit of flex for my use.

It's not just the flex, your factory coils and shocks will have a harder time keeping up with the unsprung weight of bigger and heavier wheels and tires.

Thanks Eddie! You’re giving me so much help in multiple places.

I loved the video, that is really the “other” option I’m considering (or the Rancho kit you suggested). From reading the threads on the Dynatrac lift, it sounds like a great option, and I don’t see people saying it’s a significantly worse ride than stock, but my impression was that it’s also not a huge change from stock springs. Is that incorrect? If I’m wrong, maybe it’s worth the extra coin over a spacer + Mopar coils?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks Eddie! You’re giving me so much help in multiple places.

I loved the video, that is really the “other” option I’m considering (or the Rancho kit you suggested). From reading the threads on the Dynatrac lift, it sounds like a great option, and I don’t see people saying it’s a significantly worse ride than stock, but my impression was that it’s also not a huge change from stock springs. Is that incorrect? If I’m wrong, maybe it’s worth the extra coin over a spacer + Mopar coils?

That is incorrect. The Dynatrac coils are designed with a spring rate that is matched to specifically tuned Fox 2.0 shocks that they provide with their kit. The ride quality in my opinion is BETTER than stock. I should note that I was never fond of the coil spacers that I had been running.

drhcobra

I just installed the Dynatrac lift on my 2 dr Rubicon last night. Today I did about 4 hrs on to road to go wheeling (OHV park was closed, whole different story). Although I don't have much to compare to, being this is my first jeep and lift kit, I was impressed with how it went down the road. Seemed as good maybe better than stock. Again, I've only down about 200 miles before and after. Feels nice and stable and soaks up the bumps. It looks great as well with 35's or 37's. Easy to install yourself with the right tools, and wayoflife's video:thumb:
IMG_0474.JPG

aug0211

That is incorrect. The Dynatrac coils are designed with a spring rate that is matched to specifically tuned Fox 2.0 shocks that they provide with their kit. The ride quality in my opinion is BETTER than stock. I should note that I was never fond of the coil spacers that I had been running.

Thank you for the correction! I have some thinking to do...

Jccuda77

This is he Mopar 2” lift with Fox shocks. 18x10 fuel rims and 35x12.5 nitto ridge grapplers Have 1100 miles on it so far and love it. No crawling yet but rides good and flexes pretty good playing in the ditches IMG_4764.jpgIMG_4758.jpg

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
This is he Mopar 2” lift with Fox shocks. 18x10 fuel rims and 35x12.5 nitto ridge grapplers Have 1100 miles on it so far and love it. No crawling yet but rides good and flexes pretty good playing in the ditches

You're Jeep looks great but the Mopar 2" lift is clearly more like a 3" lift.