JL Wrangler AUXILIARY SWITCHES

Wh0dun1t

Auxiliary Switches

Installed a Rough County Stubby bumper on my sons JL this weekend. He bought it with the LED light kit in the bumper and the LED light bar on the hoop. Was able to wire them to the Auxiliary Switch connections by the battery. Made it such an easy wiring job. Jeep made it really nice on the JL with the Auxiliary Switches. 30 minute job instead of lots of hours like when we put the LED lights on his old JK.

JTCO

Meme King
Any pictures of your underhood connections? I really like the simplicity of it, but not sure if I want to spend another 800 for that option.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
That isn't bad at all. I didn't realize all of that was included.

I didn't at first too. Hell, I didn't know anything before ordering as there was no information available but fortunately, 13_gecko_rubi helped explain things to me. If it were just the switches you got, it'd be hard to justify for sure.

Whhood

I bought mine off the lot that didn’t come with it, but if I had the option I would get it for sure. I’m in the process of ordering everything now and I’ll install it myself but would have gladly paid for it from the factory.

Sent from my iPhone using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

tonyb2760

Aux. wiring

Because building up a Jeep often means the addition of new accessories such as driving lights, rock lights, air compressors, lockers, winches and just about anything that might need power, a means to operate them all has typically been a part of the build or at least, up until now. Unlike previous Jeeps where the only real way to manage your accessories was to buy an aftermarket switch pod system, the all new JL Wrangler can now be had with an optional auxiliary switch system and right from the factory. With switches located in the lower bank of the instrument panel, you can now operate up to 4 devices and you can even configure them to be latching or momentary, powered by battery or by ignition and even have them hold last state across key cycles.

20171016134849-eb5ecc63.jpg

The JL Wrangler auxiliary switches are connected to a main relay module located under the hood and it comes ready to be connected to with 4 blunt cut wires, a fused battery wire and an ignition wire, all of which extend from the passenger side outboard foot well.

20171016134848-2b2c13c2.jpg

View attachment 2245

And, if all that weren't enough, Jeep even goes so far as to provide a small kit containing splices and heat shrink tubes to help make the installation of your electrical accessories that much easier. Of course, configuring your switches is as easy as accessing your Uconnect settings. :cool:
Should I take it that no additional relays would be needed and I can simply wire lighting directly to the provided under hood wires? Just curious. I have installed one set of lights and I have used a separate relay, but if not needed for future add ons that would be fantastic. Thank you

BillArnett

Should I take it that no additional relays would be needed and I can simply wire lighting directly to the provided under hood wires? Just curious. I have installed one set of lights and I have used a separate relay, but if not needed for future add ons that would be fantastic. Thank you

Yes. Just wire your lights directly to the Aux switches. But pay attention to the current load. Aux 1 and 2 can handle up to 40 amps; Aux 3 and 4 are limited to 15 amps.

Jesse_01

For those who want to install the aux after. Are all the wires & connectors plumbed in & its just a plug & play? The jl we found didn't have that option & didn't want to order one from the factory.

WWRuby_Svi

For those who want to install the aux after. Are all the wires & connectors plumbed in & its just a plug & play? The jl we found didn't have that option & didn't want to order one from the factory.

You have to buy the kit, look online and you will see it’s a wire harness and switch body. This get installed into the dash and get routed into the engine bay by the battery and to the passenger footwell. Once installed the dealership can do a software update or maybe the new Tazer can turn it on. Once programmed the switches are controlled through the touch screen I believe. Everything is plug and play. I’ll be doing this in the future as well.

Sent from my iPhone using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

GMRS radio

Let say I connect a mobile GMRS radio to the internal wires (AUX3/4 or the ignition line). Where does the ground wire connect to?

All the guides I've watched only wire in under the hood, where there is an obvious ground option.

Thanks,
David

Pop off the panel on the passenger side under the dash where the aux wires are. There is a stud in there you can ground to.

Thanks! That is exactly what I did and the install went perfectly. That panel is obstinate though.

Still, I think it is too bad Jeep didn't include a common ground wire with the interior wire bundle.