WRITE-UP : JL Wrangler REAR POWER OUTLET - Battery Powered at all Times

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Jeep JL Wranglers that come equipped with a rear subwoofer come with two 12- Volt (13 Amp) auxiliary outlets. These outlets provide electrical power for accessories such as phone chargers, inverters, refrigerators or anything that plugs into a standard cigar lighter. The first outlet is located up front, on the center stack of the dash and just below the climate controls. This outlet receives power only when the ignition switch to the ON or ACC position.

20171016131621-eb3b1e70.jpg

The second outlet is located in the rear cargo area and is powered directly from the battery BUT if you want it to always be hot, you will need to make sure that its fuse is placed in the correct bank. Just as is the case with the outlet up front, the default position for the rear will require you to have the ignition switch in the ON or ACC position in order to receive power.

Instructions
1. To make your rear power outlet always have power, you will need to open up your Jeep's hood, open the lid on your Power Distribution Center or fuse box and then use the diagram on the lid to located bank F81 and F91.

2. Using the fuse tool inside your fuse box, pull the yellow 20A fuse in bank F91 and then insert it into the bank next to it, F81 as shown in the image below.

20171016131620-f3cc2014.jpg

1 — F81 Fuse 20A Yellow Rear Power Outlet (battery powered at all times)
2 — F91 Fuse 20A Yellow Rear Power Outlet (powered when the ignition switch is in the ON or ACC position)​

3. Replace your fuse tool, close the lid on your fuse box as well as your hood.

You should now have constant power on your rear power outlet, even when your key is not in the ignition switch and this is something you need to have especially if you're running an ARB Fridge Freeze or the like. NOTE: DO NOT exceed 160 Watts (13 Amps) at 12 Volts as that is the maximum amount of power this outlet is designed for.

I hope you found this write-up helpful :cool:

JTCO

Meme King
I'm surprised more manufacturers haven't done this over the years, or at least that I've heard of. Simple idea that would solve a lot of problems.

RMC2

I believe it will work in a four door JK, but the fridge doesn't run as efficiently. The wires are very small. Run it and then feel the plug wires to see how hot they get (of course you have to pop the plastic panel off, but it isn't too hard.

It is worth it to add the ARB wiring kit for about $40 or so. It has sizeable wires and that is supposed to improve performance. Run it down the passenger side through the foam spot near the battery and under the passenger side plastic/carpet to the back.

I will do the same in the JL to be safer.

OverlanderJL

Resident Smartass
I believe it will work in a four door JK, but the fridge doesn't run as efficiently. The wires are very small. Run it and then feel the plug wires to see how hot they get (of course you have to pop the plastic panel off, but it isn't too hard.

It is worth it to add the ARB wiring kit for about $40 or so. It has sizeable wires and that is supposed to improve performance. Run it down the passenger side through the foam spot near the battery and under the passenger side plastic/carpet to the back.

I will do the same in the JL to be safer.

That’s probably what I will do in the four door. In the two door I have an accessory plug that I just need to wire into my distribution block.

Sent from my iPhone using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

RMC2

That’s probably what I will do in the four door. In the two door I have an accessory plug that I just need to wire into my distribution block.

It is fairly easy to do. I mostly fought with pushing the terminals into place on the outlet.

I put mine near the edge of and underneath the rear passenger seat. Near the seat bracket. Easy to access with the seat up and still protected with the seat down. Or anywear along the top of the fender is good too.

ocrejects

Jeep JL Wranglers that come equipped with a rear subwoofer come with two 12- Volt (13 Amp) auxiliary outlets. These outlets provide electrical power for accessories such as phone chargers, inverters, refrigerators or anything that plugs into a standard cigar lighter. The first outlet is located up front, on the center stack of the dash and just below the climate controls. This outlet receives power only when the ignition switch to the ON or ACC position.

20171016131621-eb3b1e70.jpg

The second outlet is located in the rear cargo area and is powered directly from the battery BUT if you want it to always be hot, you will need to make sure that its fuse is placed in the correct bank. Just as is the case with the outlet up front, the default position for the rear will require you to have the ignition switch in the ON or ACC position in order to receive power.

Instructions
1. To make your rear power outlet always have power, you will need to open up your Jeep's hood, open the lid on your Power Distribution Center or fuse box and then use the diagram on the lid to located bank F81 and F91.

2. Using the fuse tool inside your fuse box, pull the yellow 20A fuse in bank F91 and then insert it into the bank next to it, F81 as shown in the image below.

20171016131620-f3cc2014.jpg

1 — F81 Fuse 20A Yellow Rear Power Outlet (battery powered at all times)
2 — F91 Fuse 20A Yellow Rear Power Outlet (powered when the ignition switch is in the ON or ACC position)​

3. Replace your fuse tool, close the lid on your fuse box as well as your hood.

You should now have constant power on your rear power outlet, even when your key is not in the ignition switch and this is something you need to have especially if you're running an ARB Fridge Freeze or the like. NOTE: DO NOT exceed 160 Watts (13 Amps) at 12 Volts as that is the maximum amount of power this outlet is designed for.

I hope you found this write-up helpful :cool:

Hi, I save this when you wrote your post because I had ordered a JLUR I just got it last week so I pulled up your post in before I changed anything I just happened to check just to see if it was always hot or not and lo and behold it’s hot all the time without changing any fuses for the key on, just an FYI

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Hi, I save this when you wrote your post because I had ordered a JLUR I just got it last week so I pulled up your post in before I changed anything I just happened to check just to see if it was always hot or not and lo and behold it’s hot all the time without changing any fuses for the key on, just an FYI

Yeah, I’m pretty sure I posted as much above [emoji41]

JAGS

Bumping this. Curious if anyone has run an ARB off the stock outlets in the JLUR for any duration of time?

Any real world experiences/issues?

Thanks.

JeepFan

Bumping this. Curious if anyone has run an ARB off the stock outlets in the JLUR for any duration of time?

Any real world experiences/issues?

Thanks.
Ran our ARB fridge for 2 days on the rear outlet with no issues.