Hello from the Smokey Mountains

werewulf46

I’m new to the forum and wanted to say hello to everyone..
I traded in a 2016 rubicon Hard Rock , on a 2018 2-door rubicon jl.
I’ve owned 13 jeeps since my first new one. 1979 CJ7...
I’ve been following the forum concerning the steering issue. I hope the cure is found soon.

Sent from my iPhone using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

doubletapdaddy

Caught the Bug
Welcome to JLWrangler. Great to have you aboard! With regards to steering issues, I have absolutely no problems with my JLUR. I've posted before that my steering is very tight and very sensitive. I have zero dead spot and no wandering.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Welcome to JLWRANGLER - it's good to have you here!

Regarding steering, not sure what you're referring to. I've got 13k on the odometer and mine seems fine. :idontknow:

NFRs2000NYC

Welcome to JLWRANGLER - it's good to have you here!

Regarding steering, not sure what you're referring to. I've got 13k on the odometer and mine seems fine. :idontknow:

The 3-4" of deadplay in the steering box...seems to effect quite a few JLs, and JKs as well. Mine has had that since new (JKUR) but I don't want the dealer touching it since they will just make it worse, since they don't actually know what the issue is (although it seems that adjusting the allen on the steering motor further in removes said play)....that's it in a nutshell.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
The 3-4" of deadplay in the steering box...seems to effect quite a few JLs, and JKs as well. Mine has had that since new (JKUR) but I don't want the dealer touching it since they will just make it worse, since they don't actually know what the issue is (although it seems that adjusting the allen on the steering motor further in removes said play)....that's it in a nutshell.

LOL!! Guess I've been lucky. Of the 4 JK's that I've owned and now this JL, I can't say I have a clue as to what people are referring to.

NFRs2000NYC

LOL!! Guess I've been lucky. Of the 4 JK's that I've owned and now this JL, I can't say I have a clue as to what people are referring to.

I had this issue on BOTH of my JKUs...first was a 2012 Sahara and then again on my currently owned 2014 JKUR. Both issues were there pre mods of any kind. The 2012 was my first Jeep ever, and then the 2014, so I just chalked it up to being a "jeep thing." Now I know (seems to be much more common on JLs it seems...or more people talk about it, not sure, that there is actually something wrong. Here's a video I made a little while back illustrating this issue (my dead spot issue.)

werewulf46

Of all my jeeps, 4 were jks.. all 2 doors and tight as a drum.
Unfortunately this jl is all over the road..
When I bought it, it was raining and I wrote it off as water on the road.
40 years of jeep ownership and I still love them.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I had this issue on BOTH of my JKUs...first was a 2012 Sahara and then again on my currently owned 2014 JKUR. Both issues were there pre mods of any kind. The 2012 was my first Jeep ever, and then the 2014, so I just chalked it up to being a "jeep thing." Now I know (seems to be much more common on JLs it seems...or more people talk about it, not sure, that there is actually something wrong. Here's a video I made a little while back illustrating this issue (my dead spot issue.)

:cheesy: Ummm, yeah. Try driving my CJ, Jeepster, J2000 or 3B. I could see how people like you might see this as being that a lot of you come from a Subarus, Hondas and the like but no, I'm not seeing a problem here. Tightening up the tension on your steering box may help make what you're seeing go away but it'll also wear it out the gear faster. The FSM specifically states you should NOT be tightening it.

NFRs2000NYC

:cheesy: Ummm, yeah. Try driving my CJ, Jeepster, J2000 or 3B. I could see how people like you might see this as being that a lot of you come from a Subarus, Hondas and the like but no, I'm not seeing a problem here. Tightening up the tension on your steering box may help make what you're seeing go away but it'll also wear it out the gear faster. The FSM specifically states you should NOT be tightening it.

Well, I chalked it up as normal Jeep being a Jeep with that play, but then everyone started crying about the steering being sloppy, and others saying how theirs is nice and tight, so the inconsistency seems to indicate a problem. Are you saying that what you see in my video isn’t a problem or are you saying tightening the tension is not the correct fix? For the record, I’m not at all arguing, genuinely curious, because I’ll be honest, I wouldn’t mind having that play go away.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Well, I chalked it up as normal Jeep being a Jeep with that play, but then everyone started crying about the steering being sloppy, and others saying how theirs is nice and tight, so the inconsistency seems to indicate a problem. Are you saying that what you see in my video isn’t a problem or are you saying tightening the tension is not the correct fix? For the record, I’m not at all arguing, genuinely curious, because I’ll be honest, I wouldn’t mind having that play go away.

What I'm saying is that people who come from a modern car and hop into a Jeep are more than likely to whine about the steering being that they're so unfamiliar with a solid front axle controlled by a steering gear, pitman arm and drag link. In fact, I rarely heard of anyone bitching about it until the JK came out but of course, the 4-door completely changed the demographic of who would by Wranglers. There are literally over 2-million JK's out on the road today. If it were really as much of a problem as hyped up social media loudmouths make it out to be, there would be people on the street demanding a recall.

What I see in your video is NORMAL. The steering gear should NOT be adjusted as it WILL cause premature wear of it. I'll be honest, I wouldn't mind having an IFS/IRS Wrangler to make the clumsy and antiquated ride that solid axles provide go away but then, it wouldn't be a Wrangler.

werewulf46

On the rubicon 2 door, there is some 3M plastic film on the rear fender to protect the paint.
I live on a gravel road and the tires are throwing rocks and chipping the painted fenders.
Can’t find mud guards that fit the rubicon’s fenders and the plastic film isn’t strong enough to protect.
Looking for a solution..

doubletapdaddy

Caught the Bug
On the rubicon 2 door, there is some 3M plastic film on the rear fender to protect the paint.
I live on a gravel road and the tires are throwing rocks and chipping the painted fenders.
Can’t find mud guards that fit the rubicon’s fenders and the plastic film isn’t strong enough to protect.
Looking for a solution..

Mopar offers Splash Guards for the JL.

Front P/N 82215332AB

Rear P/N 82215333

82215333-18-MOP-1.jpg

A search on Amazon using "jl wrangler mud flaps" also yields several alternative options.

LauraRose

I’m new to the forum and wanted to say hello to everyone..
I traded in a 2016 rubicon Hard Rock , on a 2018 2-door rubicon jl.
I’ve owned 13 jeeps since my first new one. 1979 CJ7...
I’ve been following the forum concerning the steering issue. I hope the cure is found soon.

Welcome to JLWrangler!! You probably are already aware of the following, but :idontknow:

Welcome and Etiquette.jpg

BillArnett

...I wouldn't mind having an IFS/IRS Wrangler to make the clumsy and antiquated ride that solid axles provide go away but then, it wouldn't be a Wrangler.

Amen, brother! I would buy such a vehicle in a heartbeat IF it had sufficient ground clearance, wheel travel and could accommodate big tires.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Amen, brother! I would buy such a vehicle in a heartbeat IF it had sufficient ground clearance, wheel travel and could accommodate big tires.

It can be done and it would outshine a solid axle configuration. It'd just cost a ton of money to do it as an aftermarket modification.