The Cliffs Insane Terrain Sept 2018

YAHAHA

The local place to go off-roading by us is the Cliffs. It's mostly hard, slick clay with a couple sandy areas and a creek. The trails are wooded and there are a number of ravines and mud bogs. If it has been raining, it is like driving on grease. Even with mud tires, traction can be very hard to find. When it is dry, it is hard-packed. There are a number of ruts that you will either need to follow our avoid based on your tire size

I like it dry so we can do some ravine climbing. When the place is dry, a stock CJ/YJ/TJ/XJ/ZJ/JK/JL will have no problem. It's no Moab or Colorado but it's the closet wheeling to where we live just outside of Chicago.

The first week we had the JL, we took it to the Cliffs. It was wet, very slippery and we got stuck in about a foot of mud. This time, it was dry and the only real challenges were the deep, muddy ruts. We always pack a lunch and a football for times we're not on the trails. The boys and I love this place. My wife likes it too but there was one ravine that made her very nervous because she didn't know how capable this Jeep is.

Here are some pictures from our day. We pulled out a couple guys who got in too deep. You'll see a TJ totally covered in mud in some of the pictures... driver error really. When we pulled him out, he decided to floor the Jeep while in reverse. I told him next time, just put the Jeep in gear and take your foot off the accelerator pedal. No reason to slam into the Jeep trying to pull you out.

Enjoy!
IMG_20180916_201629.jpegIMG_20180916_205915.jpegIMG_20180921_123431.jpegIMG_20180921_123357.jpegIMG_20180921_123341.jpegIMG_20180921_123452.jpegIMG_20180921_123537.jpegIMG_20180921_123524.jpegIMG_20180918_102843.jpegIMG_20180916_210019.jpegIMG_20180916_210002.jpegIMG_20180921_123507.jpeg

Sent from my XT1575 using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

Last edited:

doubletapdaddy

Caught the Bug
Looks like a great time. I really do not even like the thought of mud, but when I get spray up the side of my Jeep I think it looks so freaking cool. Nice pics.

YAHAHA

I just noticed after you mentioned about the mud splatters... with all the mud that got thrown into the Jeep, the Jeep name on the sides are still clean! A coincidence or did Jeep designers purposely put them at that height to help keep the brand name showing even with splatter on the Jeep?

drhcobra

Went with my brother and a group to badlands a couple months ago. We took his old Jeep. They have a cool “quarry” area for rock crawling and some big “dunes” mud and woods. Good variety. I plan to go to both next year with my own Jeep[emoji1303].

Sent from my iPhone using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

BillArnett

I just noticed after you mentioned about the mud splatters... with all the mud that got thrown into the Jeep, the Jeep name on the sides are still clean! A coincidence or did Jeep designers purposely put them at that height to help keep the brand name showing even with splatter on the Jeep?

It's shielded by the fender but even so it doesn't always stay clean:
IMG_1063.jpg