Finally getting around to this

DudeBro

Hello from Fort Worth, Texas. I've had my JLU for about a month now and am loving every second of it. I got a sport S in Stingray, and am eager to start upgrading it. Since this is my first jeep I'm sure I'll be asking a lot of dumb questions on this forum and reading up on everything I can. I'm curious on what I should upgrade first. I'm thinking maybe sticking to easy to remove mods since I'm pretty sure I plan to trade up to a rubicon once my lease is up. Unless someone can convince me otherwise.

doubletapdaddy

Caught the Bug
Welcome to JL Wrangler. It's definitely nice to have you here. It's hard to recommend upgrades without knowing what your intentions are... do you want it to just look awesome? There really is nothing wrong with only personalizing your ride. Do you want to take it off road, and if so what sort of terrain and how aggressively do you intend to use it?

JSwoggs

Welcome! Maybe I am misunderstanding what you said, but I am under the impression you want to mod your leased Jeep? I think you should check the fine print to make sure you can alter the leased vehicle, but otherwise if it is easily removed like larger tires and wheels, it probably won't make a difference. It's not like they are swinging by your house and checking your Jeep, right? I think you could easily mod up a nice Sport S and not miss a Rubicon.. might even decide to buy out your lease instead of trading up :)

hobieinjax

Hello from Fort Worth, Texas. I've had my JLU for about a month now and am loving every second of it. I got a sport S in Stingray, and am eager to start upgrading it. Since this is my first jeep I'm sure I'll be asking a lot of dumb questions on this forum and reading up on everything I can. I'm curious on what I should upgrade first. I'm thinking maybe sticking to easy to remove mods since I'm pretty sure I plan to trade up to a rubicon once my lease is up. Unless someone can convince me otherwise.

When we lifted our Rubicon, we sold the suspension and takeoff wheels/tires for $1500 to a guy who was going to install them on his Sahara model... You can find takeoff parts on many of the forums, and they are an economical way to dress up a sport model.

Welcome to the forum!

DudeBro

Thanks for all the replies!

Welcome! Maybe I am misunderstanding what you said, but I am under the impression you want to mod your leased Jeep? I think you should check the fine print to make sure you can alter the leased vehicle, but otherwise if it is easily removed like larger tires and wheels, it probably won't make a difference. It's not like they are swinging by your house and checking your Jeep, right? I think you could easily mod up a nice Sport S and not miss a Rubicon.. might even decide to buy out your lease instead of trading up :)

Haha yeah I made sure to double check with them before I made the purchase and it's totally cool to modify it. I wouldn't have gone with a lease otherwise. That's the plan, I'm either going to buy it after the lease or trade to a rubicon. Since I'm not quite decided on whether or not to keep it when I'm done or upgrade to a rubicon most of what I want to do will be easy stuff. Nothing I can't replace with the factory parts in 3 years. As for what I plan to do with it, nothing really crazy like rock crawling. At least not yet, it's my daily driver. But I do want it to be decently capable. I'm thinking for now bumpers, winch, tires, maybe a simple 2 inch lift (Maybe I'll win that dynatrac lift lol), lights, and just other little internal addons.

As for the tires I can't figure out what I can get away with. I read some forums and people are saying if you want 35s or bigger (35s are what I'd like) you have to regear which I aint got the time or money for. But I was reading a post last night saying how the JLs with the new transmissions handle the larger tires no problem even on the smaller geared sports and saharas. It's just hard to get a strait answer. Most of what's out there is based off the rubicon. I know with 35's on a sport I'll need a lift and most likely higher fender flares, I'm just not sure on the power part. Since it's my daily driver I don't want to throw bigger tires on it and then get 5mpg out of it lol.

MarkS-06TJ

Welcome to the forum. I too am interested in what you trying to figure out. It seems most folks put on a small lift, big tires and are done with the basic setup. This is a stark departure from the older model wranglers. This is way easier on the bank account. Good luck with your new JL.

Sent from my iPad using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

JLSahara

With sports and Sahara’s you could run 35’s without a lift but if are planing on flexing it a bit, you’ll need a small lift or higher front fender. On normal street driving you can get away without a lift.

Gear wise, you’re fine with 35’s with sports, Sahara’s and Rubicon’s. Anything bigger you’ll need a regear unless you have the Rubi. That’s the info I’ve been getting and have read and from my research.

FYI - I have a Sahara on 2.5 lift and 35’s. Drives great and don’t plan to regear.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DudeBro

With sports and Sahara’s you could run 35’s without a lift but if are planing on flexing it a bit, you’ll need a small lift or higher front fender. On normal street driving you can get away without a lift.

Gear wise, you’re fine with 35’s with sports, Sahara’s and Rubicon’s. Anything bigger you’ll need a regear unless you have the Rubi. That’s the info I’ve been getting and have read and from my research.

FYI - I have a Sahara on 2.5 lift and 35’s. Drives great and don’t plan to regear.

Awesome, thanks for the info! Yeah it's hard to tell which info online is actually accurate to real world applications, or at least my application.