Re - Gearing

JTCO

Meme King
Hello! Do I need to re-gear my Rubicon after fitting 37 inch tires?

This has come up a few times and several members running 37s are quite happy with the factory gearing on these JLs mainly because of the newer transmission.

YAHAHA

My experience with 315/70/17 (35") tires is no significant difference in acceleration. Even with only 35" tires, the Jeep does not drive in 8th great as often as with the factory 33" tires. On a flat road without significant rise or acceleration, the trans will shift to 8th. Otherwise, it mostly stays in 7th gear.

Sent from my XT1575 using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Unlike the JK Wrangler before with which it was essentially NECESSARY to regear after installing 37" tires or at least, to regain lost power, I can tell you that I've felt absolutely no need to regear my JL. The all new 8-speed automatic that comes on the JL Wrangler does an amazing job of pushing my 37's even up in the mountains.

Jesse_01

If your keeping it long term, I would(did) regear.

Also depends on where you live.

High altitude, & more hills, regear so you don't have a 6-7 speed.

Flat & lower altitude plenty are happy with stock gearing.

One of those topics you can discuss till your blue in the face.

I like my vehicles at least stock performance or better when you stick larger tires on. That's just personal preference.

Sent from my iPhone using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
If your keeping it long term, I would(did) regear.

Also depends on where you live.

High altitude, & more hills, regear so you don't have a 6-7 speed.

Flat & lower altitude plenty are happy with stock gearing.

One of those topics you can discuss till your blue in the face.

I like my vehicles at least stock performance or better when you stick larger tires on. That's just personal preference.

I don't know if the Sierra Nevada's count but I live in the foothills of them. My home sits at just shy of 5,000 ft. above sea level and places like the Rubicon are only an hour away from me. Sure, I never get above 7th gear but my MPG is great and I don't know if I could care less. Not that I'm saying regearing is bad, it's just something I find hard to justify on a JL being that it can cost upwards of $2,000 or more to do and really, just to regain overdrive. Of course, that is just me.

13_gecko_rubi

I don't know if the Sierra Nevada's count but I live in the foothills of them. My home sits at just shy of 5,000 ft. above sea level and places like the Rubicon are only an hour away from me. Sure, I never get above 7th gear but my MPG is great and I don't know if I could care less. Not that I'm saying regearing is bad, it's just something I find hard to justify on a JL being that it can cost upwards of $2,000 or more to do and really, just to regain overdrive. Of course, that is just me.
Real world the cost benefit won't make sense and I bet most people don't regear for exactly what you said. You lose a tad of low end pep but it's still peppy as hell.

Pretty much people who budget isn't a concern will regear. Most people won't and both will work great lol. Now on a Sport or Sahara, ya not same at all :)

Sent via....

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Real world the cost benefit won't make sense and I bet most people don't regear for exactly what you said. You lose a tad of low end pep but it's still peppy as hell.

Pretty much people who budget isn't a concern will regear. Most people won't and both will work great lol. Now on a Sport or Sahara, ya not same at all :)

That's an important point to make. I should clarify that my experience is with 4.10 gears. If I were running a taller gear, I might feel the need to regear.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
How about a Sahara on 35s like the red Dynatrac Sahara in the video?
In Florida so flat and at sea level

I got to do extensive testing of the Dynatrac Sahara running 35's and honestly, I couldn't feel ANY power loss what so ever. If anything, that thing still felt like it was a rocket running factory wheels. You can see be bombing through a deep sandy wash in this video and without any issues.

Jesse_01

See if I bought an 8speed, I want a 8 speed with 37".

Same as if the Jeep has say 12" of travel stock, I want 12" of travel with 37". I don't want to stick 37" on with bump stops & only have 10".

Like any performance hobby, if you want to play you have to pay.

Sent from my iPhone using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
See if I bought an 8speed, I want a 8 speed with 37".

Same as if the Jeep has say 12" of travel stock, I want 12" of travel with 37". I don't want to stick 37" on with bump stops & only have 10".

Like any performance hobby, if you want to play you have to pay.

LOL!! I suppose that's one way of looking at it. Me, I see $2000 as a lot of money can could be spent buying other and better things to make my Jeep more capable out on the trail. But then, that's just me.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
So the person that has a lift, tires, bumpers & winch done. What should their next $2k be spent on to increase on & off road performance.

LOL!! I guess it all depends. Me, I'd want to run bead locks, better rocker guards, long arms or maybe coil overs. If anything, I'd rather save that $2k and forward it toward new axles WITH gears of a higher ratio - something I am planning to do. I'm sure it's just me but from experience, throwing money at a factory axle is just a big waste of it. But again, that's just me.

Question, if you re-gear a Rubicon to say 5:13(that's what i've seen posted), is it just gears or would a new carrier and new elockers be required. If so that would get very costly.

Your Rubicon already has lockers that can accept a 5.13 gear.

GrayBeard

Thanks, i wasn't sure if the current lockers would work with new gears. I was more curious than anything.

My 37s should arrive today. Planning on keeping stock gearing, at least for now. Got other things to spend money on besides gears.

Sent from my SM-N950U using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks, i wasn't sure if the current lockers would work with new gears. I was more curious than anything.

My 37s should arrive today. Planning on keeping stock gearing, at least for now. Got other things to spend money on besides gears.

If you were running something like 3.07 gears, you'd need a new carrier. 4.10 gears come on a carrier or locker that will allow you to install 5.38's if you really wanted.

BillArnett

Hello! Do I need to re-gear my Rubicon after fitting 37 inch tires?

There's a long thread on this topic from a few weeks back (it got a little nasty for a while but there's some real information, too). I paid a lot of attention to this point on my last wheeling trip. My real life observations are at:

https://jlwrangler.com/showthread.php?1614-New-Dana-Gears&p=22019&viewfull=1#post22019

Bottom line: it's not just Eddie; I'm sticking with the stock Rubicon (4.10) gears, too.

Cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
Just to add to this thread, Revolution gear and axle now has 4.88 and 5.13 gears available for rubicon models
IMG_9939.jpg