WTF - 368 HP 2.0L I4 JL Wrangler??

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Just read an article on TheTruthAboutCars.com and on it, they posted up a legitimate document that FCA submitted to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration and in it, a few things were revealed about the engines that will be available in the all new Jeep JL Wrangler. The most interesting of which is that the 2.0L I4 motor will put out a whopping 368 horsepower compared to the wimpy 285 that the 3.6L V6 Pentastar offers! :eek:
20171005203053-0fa07c1a.jpg

The other thing the NHTSA document revealed is that the JL will initially be available in a 4-Door Sport, Sahara and Rubicon.
20171005203316-ad915717.jpg

You can read more about what is said in the article here:
http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/2017/10/partial-next-wrangler-engine-specs-leaked/

So, with that said, what do you think about the 2.0L 4-Banner Turbo? :crazyeyes:

JTCO

Meme King
I had 350 at the wheels on my old WRX AWD (modified). It's crazy what a 4cyl turbo can do. If I were to get a JL, it would be a street vehicle and I would definitely go with this motor.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I really wonder how many people will opt for this 2.0L Turbo over the 3.6L Pentastar.

Cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
Deff curious as to how this will work. Will it be a smaller turbo for torque like the eco boost does or will it be more of a midrange turbo setup? I really wanna test one to find out

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Deff curious as to how this will work. Will it be a smaller turbo for torque like the eco boost does or will it be more of a midrange turbo setup? I really wanna test one to find out

I've never really been a fan of super chargers or turbos but if these numbers are real, I'd be lying if I said I wasn't interested. Sucks because I really want to order a JL as soon as the books are open but now I'm kinda wanting to wait to test drive one of these 2.0L.

Cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
I've never really been a fan of super chargers or turbos but if these numbers are real, I'd be lying if I said I wasn't interested. Sucks because I really want to order a JL as soon as the books are open but now I'm kinda wanting to wait to test drive one of these 2.0L.

Yea I don’t blame you. Also isn’t the 3.6l that’s in the grands different than what’s in our jk’s? I think that motor has vvt and is set up slightly different. I wonder if they are switching to that motor or keeping how it’s set up now. Might be something else you would have to consider

EARL99208

I think they're changing the 3.6 to a newer version but I have no idea as to exactly how it'll be different than what's in the JK.

I'm going to have to test drive a 2.0 to make an informed decision as to what is have in a wrangler.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wanderer

turbo power/torque

Big question for me is how reliable will it be when you got 90k on it and you are wheeling some desert trails and I it is 95 degrees out there too? For me coming form the old 3.8 it would be like a 200 hp increase..or in other terms way more than double the hp I have. The great thing is I never can go fast enough to get a ticket.lol but with that motor THING HAVE CHANGED!!

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Big question for me is how reliable will it be when you got 90k on it and you are wheeling some desert trails and I it is 95 degrees out there too? For me coming form the old 3.8 it would be like a 200 hp increase..or in other terms way more than double the hp I have. The great thing is I never can go fast enough to get a ticket.lol but with that motor THING HAVE CHANGED!!

Legitimate question for sure and enough so that I have a feeling the 3.6L will remain the standard bearer.

notnalc68

That dude from Mississippi

You have to wonder, if the 3.6 is mated to an 8 speed transmission, how it will perform. That could make a huge difference, in the performance of the models with the automatic transmission.

Sent from my iPhone using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

NFRs2000NYC

Modern turbos are excellent in cooling. You can add an external oil cooler if you live in a hot climate, but generally speaking, they do very well in the heat and overheating is usually not a problem with turbo motors. Aftermarket setups are often problematic because people didn't want to do maths, and their cooling systems are not sufficient, nor airflow, etc.

NotInStock

Modern turbos are excellent in cooling. You can add an external oil cooler if you live in a hot climate, but generally speaking, they do very well in the heat and overheating is usually not a problem with turbo motors. Aftermarket setups are often problematic because people didn't want to do maths, and their cooling systems are not sufficient, nor airflow, etc.

yeah they may be good with cooling but even then when pushed, especially rock crawling and such I would think they may take on that typical metal glow you get from an turbo... And then what happens if you suddenly cool that metal by taking on a stream crossing and splashing nice cold water or submersing that glowing turbo in the water... I would think it may be a problem with cracking the metal.