Rim killer!

Rubiconchris

I'm killing rims on my JL Rubi at an alarming rate. They still function but they are beat to hell and look terrible. I was thinking about buying some take offs but I'm gonna kill them as well. Can someone recommended some 17 inch alloys that are tough. Perhaps with a replacement rock ring. I really don't need bead locks for the type of wheeling I do. But if I gotta bite the bullet what's a good bead lock wheel that's not crazy expensive?

Sent from my HTC One M9 using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

doubletapdaddy

Caught the Bug
Just off the top of my head Mopar beadlocks can also function as standard rims with a rash ring, which can be repainted and / or replaced with ease. You can also look into Dirty Life Wheels which also offer the same options - run as a beadlock or run as a standard wheel with removable rash ring.

There isn't an alloy wheel made that can stand up to rocks. The "beadlock" ring idea is probably your best bet, or get some steel rims you can bang back into shape and hit with some Rustoleum or Plasti-Dip.

Or, get some take-offs and just run them on the road and keep your current rims for off-road. I've thought about that before, anyway, just to run a more aggressive tire when wheeling.

Four Flusher

Just off the top of my head Mopar beadlocks can also function as standard rims with a rash ring, which can be repainted and / or replaced with ease. You can also look into Dirty Life Wheels which also offer the same options - run as a beadlock or run as a standard wheel with removable rash ring.

Exactly why I got Mopars, yes they're getting beat up, but they still look good.

OverlanderJL

Resident Smartass
My Rubi is on the rocks at least twice a week. It's the 10th Jeep I've owned. And I was a trail guide at an off-road park for 5 years. I think my driving is fine. It's easy to keep your rims clean when your hardest obstacle is the speed bump at Walmart.

Sent from my HTC One M9 using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

Dude, you're in PA, hardly the rock capital of the country. Settle down.

[emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

doubletapdaddy

Caught the Bug
I was gonna say, maybe he needs to upgrade his driving instead???

[emoji23]

Lol. I was going to get sassy, but I'm trying to stay out of trouble lately.

Not to cause any further trouble OP, but honestly the cost of a decent set of rims is a drop in the bucket compared to the cost of your Rubicon.

Last edited:

BillArnett

How are you destroyer wheels so fast?

I was gonna say, maybe he needs to upgrade his driving instead???

Lol. I was going to get sassy, but I'm trying to stay out of trouble lately.

Not to cause any further trouble OP, but honestly the cost of a decent set of rims is a drop in the bucket compared to the cost of your Rubicon.

Geez. Give the guy a break. He asked a perfectly reasonable question looking for some simple advice.

My solution: Black rims. When they get beat up just hit them with a little black spray paint. Not perfect works for me. YMMV.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
That's one of the things I hate most about black rings - they look like crap once they get beat up on the trail. This is the biggest reason why I prefer silver rings - you don't have to do anything to them to keep them looking silver.

main.php

13_gecko_rubi

That's one of the things I hate most about black rings - they look like crap once they get beat up on the trail. This is the biggest reason why I prefer silver rings - you don't have to do anything to them to keep them looking silver.

main.php
Is it bad every time I get new beadlocks I may intentionally drag them on rocks to get it over with? I had black rings once. Was horrible. Didn't mind the scratches in the black as showed i used it. But then the other coating would flake off once scratched and just be oxidized aluminum under it. That looked like garbage!

Sent via....

WiscoHR

Is it bad every time I get new beadlocks I may intentionally drag them on rocks to get it over with? I had black rings once. Was horrible. Didn't mind the scratches in the black as showed i used it. But then the other coating would flake off once scratched and just be oxidized aluminum under it. That looked like garbage!

Sent via....

I wouldn’t say I do it intentionally. But once the first scratch on the beadlocks or first pinstripe in the paint happens, it definitely takes a little weight off my shoulders. I can stop worrying and get back to enjoying the trail.

NFRs2000NYC

Geez. Give the guy a break. He asked a perfectly reasonable question looking for some simple advice.

My solution: Black rims. When they get beat up just hit them with a little black spray paint. Not perfect works for me. YMMV.

Its not a reasonable question....if you are killing rim after rim, either your driving just plain sucks, or you wheel so bigly, that no wheel is going to look good doing it, so there is no point of trying to find other wheels. My point was, he is in PA, which means the only "rock" wheeling is in Raush Creek....so if you are ok with beating up on the jeep for no real reason (what an offroad park is essentially) then you need to be ok with beat up wheels.