Best Top Sunrider

MrGiant

That sucks....had a similar Problem with a technical drawing of mine that was shared without my permission to build something as their own design....
Eddie, at least you know its yours and most people buy the original

Sent from my SM-G950F using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

YAHAHA

No offense Eddie, I love all the work you do for the Jeep life and this great forum but with computers today anybody can be a graphic designer.

While the two look very similar, there are a significant number of differences between the two sets of decals... The font, the J, the sizing of the letters, the spacing between letters & the thickness of the letter outline.

It actually looks more like of a copy of the logo from that other form than your decal.

Sent from my XT1575 using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

JTCO

Meme King
No offense Eddie, I love all the work you do for the Jeep life and this great forum but with computers today anybody can be a graphic designer.

While the two look very similar, there are a significant number of differences between the two sets of decals... The font, the J, the sizing of the letters, the spacing between letters & the thickness of the letter outline.

It actually looks more like of a copy of the logo from that other form than your decal.

Sent from my XT1575 using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

Sure the decal has been tweeked a little, but it's the exact same design. And while, yes, anyone can print their own with the right equipment, it's pretty douchey to do so rather than purchasing the original or at least asking permission to use the design.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member

LOL!! No offense but, you don't have a clue as to what you're talking about.

I have PAID the USPTO to have the word "JLWRANGLER" trademarked. The decal could have been made up in ANY font or style and it would have STILL been a ripoff of my trademark. But hey, you're the apparent expert here - what would I know about trademarks or copyrights.

LOL!! If you've been around long enough, you'd know that it is they that have ripped me off but clearly, you can believe whatever it is you want.

LOL!! No offense but, you don't have a clue as to what you're talking about.

I have PAID the USPTO to have the word "JLWRANGLER" trademarked. The decal could have been made up in ANY font or style and it would have STILL been a ripoff of my trademark. But hey, you're the apparent expert here - what would I know about trademarks or copyrights.

LOL!! If you've been around long enough, you'd know that it is they that have ripped me off but clearly, you can believe whatever it is you want.

I admit I know nothing about trademarks, and I don't disagree that you own the rights, especially to the shape/color, etc. But, doesn't Jeep/FCA own JL and Wrangler? If you can do that, why can't I open up a burger joint and call my main burger a BigMacMcDonald's and trademark it? Just curious.

Actually, I'd make it a McRib and call it the Big BM. Lol!

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I admit I know nothing about trademarks, and I don't disagree that you own the rights, especially to the shape/color, etc. But, doesn't Jeep/FCA own JL and Wrangler? If you can do that, why can't I open up a burger joint and call my main burger a BigMacMcDonald's and trademark it? Just curious.

Actually, I'd make it a McRib and call it the Big BM. Lol!

It's difficult if not impossible to trademark something as simple as the letters "JL" or a common word like "wrangler". I can almost guarantee you that FCA does not have a trademark for either. What you can trademark is a "logo" such as the one you see for this website or what FCA uses on their Jeeps. "JLWRANGLER" spelled in that manner is essentially a new word or in my case, a business name and while it can be tricky to trademark, it can be done if you know what you're doing and are willing to pay for it. And, in spite of what some seem to think, there's nothing cheap about copyrighting or trademarking logos, slogans or names.

As far as your burger joint goes, you can certainly try to call your main burger that but it'd probably be very difficult if not impossible to trademark. More than likely, the USPTO would decline your submission even before a McDonald's trademark lawyer put a stop to it. Again, there is a process to all this and one that costs a lot of money and that's why I work hard to protect my intellectual rights. If I didn't, I would risk the possibility of forfeiting them.

It's difficult if not impossible to trademark something as simple as the letters "JL" or a common word like "wrangler". I can almost guarantee you that FCA does not have a trademark for either. What you can trademark is a "logo" such as the one you see for this website or what FCA uses on their Jeeps. "JLWRANGLER" spelled in that manner is essentially a new word or in my case, a business name and while it can be tricky to trademark, it can be done if you know what you're doing and are willing to pay for it. And, in spite of what some seem to think, there's nothing cheap about copyrighting or trademarking logos, slogans or names.

As far as your burger joint goes, you can certainly try to call your main burger that but it'd probably be very difficult if not impossible to trademark. More than likely, the USPTO would decline your submission even before a McDonald's trademark lawyer put a stop to it. Again, there is a process to all this and one that costs a lot of money and that's why I work hard to protect my intellectual rights. If I didn't, I would risk the possibility of forfeiting them.

I see, and that makes sense.

By the way, wouldn't you like to see the McDonald's attorney's face when I tell him that The BM doesn't stand for Big Mac, but rather Bowl Movement? Lol! Of course, if he/she ever had a McRib, they'd understand.

SandPanda

While I am not a lawyer, Eddie does have a case. Especially if one has sold those decals.
I dont think I ever saw that dude actually apologize. Then again maybe he did in private. But just a little life lesson, learn to take the "L" and just be cool about it. It cost nothing to be a decent human being.

Sent from my SM-N950U using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

aug0211

While I am not a lawyer, Eddie does have a case. Especially if one has sold those decals.
I dont think I ever saw that dude actually apologize. Then again maybe he did in private. But just a little life lesson, learn to take the "L" and just be cool about it. It cost nothing to be a decent human being.

Sent from my SM-N950U using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

Post 15, he apologized.

Getting back on topic, I hadn’t really considered this top setup as a serious option, but maybe I should.

I have two little ones in the back who don’t even like the windows down (well, one doesn’t, the other doesn’t express an opinion either way - she’s only 10 months old).

There’s just something about the full top off that is so appealing. Not sure if this would satisfy me.

Honestly, I just wish the NX Glide would come out already. It’s essentially winter here now in Ohio, so top off season is gone, but I’d love to have it ready to go for next year.

Which reminds me, I really need to install that hoist system that has been sitting in the garage for... 3 months... [emoji28]

Sent from my iPhone using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

Shadowfire

IMG_0336.JPGIMG_0336.JPG
So Update on my Sunrider short story is I’ve had a flutter sound coming from above the driver side of the rear view mirror BT said it was normal get used to it. Yesterday weather was nice so I opened my top and noticed this after cleaning my seals. I emailed BT to see what is going on but to me it looks obvious I’m going to need a new one this is gonna keep going. After only a month or so let’s see how this plays out. Anyone else?