WAYALIFE CB Radio Antenna Mount - Jeep JL WRANGLER Tailgate (2018-Up)

Rlew0083

Quick note on something you failed to mention in your write up, it is a PAIN to runt he wire through the roll bars. Shew........

Rlew0083

I did a little copy cat on mine. I had an old black rectangular bar int eh garage so I shortened it and made my mount.

IMG_5296.jpgIMG_5297.jpg

So I’ve been playing with my CB & I get a lot of noise that maybe because of one place I improvised on the directions. Instead of running the ground through the grommet by the jack I removed the “trail rail” with the 3 D rings and attached it to the body in one of the D ring bolts. Would that be a bad place to ground it?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
So I’ve been playing with my CB & I get a lot of noise that maybe because of one place I improvised on the directions. Instead of running the ground through the grommet by the jack I removed the “trail rail” with the 3 D rings and attached it to the body in one of the D ring bolts. Would that be a bad place to ground it?

3 things.

1. yes, you really want to run a ground strap to the frame. The body will kind of work but the frame will give you a better ground.

2. if you didn't do so, you really want to connect your power lead directly to the battery or use the aux power lead that goes to the battery. You do not want to use power that needs your key on to work. That will give you noise in the line.

3. did you make sure to set up your antenna mount correctly? The step on the nylon washer NEEDS to be sitting inside the hole so that the stud does not make contact with the metal mount.

Did you get your antenna turned OK? If not I would go direct to the frame.

Sent from my iPhone using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

3 things.

1. yes, you really want to run a ground strap to the frame. The body will kind of work but the frame will give you a better ground.

2. if you didn't do so, you really want to connect your power lead directly to the battery or use the aux power lead that goes to the battery. You do not want to use power that needs your key on to work. That will give you noise in the line.

3. did you make sure to set up your antenna mount correctly? The step on the nylon washer NEEDS to be sitting inside the hole so that the stud does not make contact with the metal mount.

Thanks guys! I bought a quick release & a SWR meter. I’m going to move the ground to the frame & tune it today after I install that QR. I used the quadratec spare tire mount & a firestick so it was already built, but I’ll check it though for the nylon washer. They also sell a fused power line that clips into the 12v cig lighter which is how I did the power. I’m already down that road. Honestly I get a good signal when someone is close, but I just want to make sure I get it all right so it works as best as it can. How worried should I be about a lightning strike?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks guys! I bought a quick release & a SWR meter. I’m going to move the ground to the frame & tune it today after I install that QR. I used the quadratec spare tire mount & a firestick so it was already built, but I’ll check it though for the nylon washer. They also sell a fused power line that clips into the 12v cig lighter which is how I did the power. I’m already down that road. Honestly I get a good signal when someone is close, but I just want to make sure I get it all right so it works as best as it can. How worried should I be about a lightning strike?

Yeah, a spare tire mount will NOT give you a good enough ground. You really need to run a ground strap to the frame. As far as the cig lighter goes, I can't remember but if you need to have the key on in order for it to get power, this is a BAD lead to work off of as you WILL get noise in the line.

Oh, and lightning? No, that shouldn't be an issues or that I've ever seen.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Hey guys, just wanted to let you all know that I have these in stock. And, if you order one with a CB BAR, you can even save a bit more money. :cool:

20200118095814-feb4d4ac.jpg

digirati

Grounding strap length

Was the 48” grounding strap length too long or just right? I plan on buying one and want to get the correct length.

JP223/3USA

You could always buy a small roll of grounding strap. Personally, I like having extra of everything for future projects. I went a little crazy with my grounding wires and don’t know if it helped with my reading but this is how I did mine. My swr is 1.2
IMG_3999.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app