Rubicon rear locker warning

captainrandal

So on a recent trip from San Diego to Orlando I had my locker light start flashing after a fill up.
Both in the console and at the locker switch. In a mild panic (I still had 800 miles to drive) I did a slow circle to verify that they not locked which they were not.
For the rest of the trip the light flashed. Finally at another fill up the lights quit flashing and the service locker light came on.
Got it into the dealer this morning to have them look at it.

Anyone else have this happen?

Randy

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Sounds like the plug for your locker wiring was either loose or is damaged. Do you have a lift on your JL?

captainrandal

So a little update. After the dealer having my baby for four days I get to pick it up until they get the parts in. It has been decided it is a sensor module the rear end. The woes of a new model now come into play. The sensor is not available at this time. You have to order the entire rear end [emoji15]. So now waiting for the new rear end to arrive....

Randy

MoparTH

I wonder if they pulled the sensor out and cleaned it and / or changed the differential oil ? There could be a chance that break in metal filings in the oil was enough for the sensor to think the locker was engaged, I've seen it happen with speed sensors on motorcycles before.

13_gecko_rubi

The sensor in jl isn't on/off. It is a reostat and the resistance changes as locker moves. Can tell when moving, Wich way moving, engagement status etc

Sent via....

captainrandal

The sensor in jl isn't on/off. It is a reostat and the resistance changes as locker moves. Can tell when moving, Wich way moving, engagement status etc

Sent via....
Wow. Seems a bit over complicated. A limit switch on each side would be much more reliable (based on my past used of rheostats and limit switches for similar applications). Thanks for the info. On a side note, the new updated off-road pages tell me that both the front and rear are locked. [emoji33]

Randy

13_gecko_rubi

Wow. Seems a bit over complicated. A limit switch on each side would be much more reliable (based on my past used of rheostats and limit switches for similar applications). Thanks for the info. On a side note, the new updated off-road pages tell me that both the front and rear are locked. [emoji33]

Randy
But a limit switch can't tell you which way its moving :)

Sent via....

captainrandal

But a limit switch can't tell you which way its moving :)

Sent via....
True. But if after X period of time the move hasn't been completed, then you know there is a problem. Not sure it helps to know that I am 93% disengaged when it poops out. Hm, I wonder if I can get a Locker Rate Of Change indicator? [emoji23]

Randy

13_gecko_rubi

True. But if after X period of time the move hasn't been completed, then you know there is a problem. Not sure it helps to know that I am 93% disengaged when it poops out. Hm, I wonder if I can get a Locker Rate Of Change indicator? [emoji23]

Randy
You could :)

It's not truely a rheostat. States that as some people know what they are more than other things. But the plunger does cause the output resistance to vary based on movement.

Sent via....

captainrandal

So to finish this thread I am back to a functional rear locker. But they did have to replace the entire rear end. At this point in time you can't get the sensor by itself. Glad this was on FCAs dime. After the dealer having the Jeep for a week to troubleshoot, it took them only 4 hours to swap it out.

Randy

JTCO

Meme King
So to finish this thread I am back to a functional rear locker. But they did have to replace the entire rear end. At this point in time you can't get the sensor by itself. Glad this was on FCAs dime. After the dealer having the Jeep for a week to troubleshoot, it took them only 4 hours to swap it out.

Randy

That's nuts. Glad it was under warranty.

WiscoHR

Randy

That is one expensive sensor!!!!! Glad it is all fixed for you.

Sent from my iPhone using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

doubletapdaddy

Caught the Bug
I recently needed to replace a simple panel clip, but found at the dealership that I had to buy the whole lower passenger kick panel just to get a clip. It's my understanding that the only way to get the fender flare clips at this time, is to buy a whole fender flare. Obviously you can go secondary routes such as bone yards. But indeed, that was one expensive sensor you had to replace.