WHAT SIZE TIRES? : Aftermarket Jeep Wheels Survey

What size tire are you running on your JL Wrangler or hope to run soon?

• STOCK TIRES

Votes: 21 14.5%
  • 35" TIRES

Votes: 68 46.9%
  • 37" TIRES

Votes: 52 35.9%
  • 40" TIRES

Votes: 4 2.8%
  • GREATER THAN 40" TIRES

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

TxJeepers

I voted 37's. Going to do them this time around and see how it goes. I never had a problem with 35's and they took me every where I wanted to go on previous Jeeps. Heck, 33's did for the most part too.

r75usmc

A supercharger? For what reason? Very interested...

Sent from my LG-H932 using Tapatalk
If they sold a Hemi Wrangler, I would have ordered that. I love V8 power. However, instead of a $20k+ V8 swap, RIPP and other companies have been making Bolt-on superchargers for the 3.6 and while they are very safe to run...they increase HP and Torque by about 50% for under $6k!

Deezus

If they sold a Hemi Wrangler, I would have ordered that. I love V8 power. However, instead of a $20k+ V8 swap, RIPP and other companies have been making Bolt-on superchargers for the 3.6 and while they are very safe to run...they increase HP and Torque by about 50% for under $6k!
It voids your warranty as well. Salvage engines are cheap I know but for me the risk reward isn't worth it.... At least u til warranty has expired. [emoji106]

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member

:cheesy: LOL at "increasing HP and torque by about 50%". There's a reason why shops like Motech have a floor lined with superchargers. Even if it were anywhere close to that, I've never seen one perform well on the trail. From what I've seen, they're a complete and total waste of money.

13_gecko_rubi

:cheesy: LOL at "increasing HP and torque by about 50%". There's a reason why shops like Motech have a floor lined with superchargers. Even if it were anywhere close to that, I've never seen one perform well on the trail. From what I've seen, they're a complete and total waste of money.
I wouldn't say a total waste of money. At least you paid some American workers to build that crap and install it lol

Sent via....

notnalc68

That dude from Mississippi

285 hp x 50 %= 142.5 additional hp. 427.5 horsepower & 390 lb.ft. of torque? I’m having difficulty believing that. Not for under $6000, anyway.

Sent from my iPhone using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

Last edited:

JTCO

Meme King
My JLUR (ordered 8/18) is my first Jeep and will be my daily. I am currently planning a 2.5” Rock Krawler lift with 35” Nitto Ridge Grapplers. I know many prefer 37’s with any lift on a JL Rubi, but I am concerned about how I will feel about power until I can get a Ripp supercharger. I will also be waiting until middle of next year to do this as my current commute is 41 miles and I plan to cut that in half before doing larger tires.

Are you actually going to use it on trails? If so, a supercharger is the most annoying whining sound I've ever heard on a trail other than my ex girlfriend.

13_gecko_rubi

Are you actually going to use it on trails? If so, a supercharger is the most annoying whining sound I've ever heard on a trail other than my ex girlfriend.
I disagree on this one. I give it a solid second worse... A 4bt b in the worst :)

Sent via....

BillArnett

Well, perhaps you're both right. If you believe the RIPP dyne data (a pretty big "if") they really do make that much more HP *at the redline*. That's a big deal if you're into racing. Or just enjoy some extra acceleration on the pavement.

BUT at the very low RPMs we typically see when rock crawling the blower's advantage is negligible.

As usual, YMMV :eek:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
285 hp x 50 %= 142.5 additional hp. 427.5 horsepower & 390 lb.ft. of torque? I’m having difficulty believing that. Not for under $6000, anyway.

Exactly. That'd be about what I'm getting with the 6.2L LS I have in Moby and I can guarantee you, NO SUPERCHARGER comes remotely close to it has.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Well, perhaps you're both right. If you believe the RIPP dyne data (a pretty big "if") they really do make that much more HP *at the redline*. That's a big deal if you're into racing. Or just enjoy some extra acceleration on the pavement.

BUT at the very low RPMs we typically see when rock crawling the blower's advantage is negligible.

As usual, YMMV :eek:

I've had the pleasure of seeing one getting dyno'd. There was maybe a 25 HP increase at most and at redline. Anything more than that is all just a wet dream from guys who blew $6k on a whole lot of nothing.

BillArnett

I've had the pleasure of seeing one getting dyno'd. There was maybe a 25 HP increase at most and at redline. Anything more than that is all just a wet dream from guys who blew $6k on a whole lot of nothing.

RIPP's website says, "... Preliminary tests show an Automatic 3.6 Pentastar Jeep Wrangler Unlimited produces only 189 rear wheel HP (WHP) in stock form. ... With a RIPP Supercharger installed we safely squeezed 325WHP and 300ft/lbs..." That's an additional 136 HP, 5x as much as you saw. I'm usually pretty skeptical of claims like that but it would be unusual for it to be exaggerated by that much. Perhaps the one you saw tested was an older version? I'm not saying you're wrong, just wondering where the discrepancy lies.

Anyway, I totally agree that it isn't worth it for the kind of wheeling most of us here do. When I want fast acceleration I drive my Tesla :eek:

notnalc68

That dude from Mississippi
RIPP's website says, "... Preliminary tests show an Automatic 3.6 Pentastar Jeep Wrangler Unlimited produces only 189 rear wheel HP (WHP) in stock form. ... With a RIPP Supercharger installed we safely squeezed 325WHP and 300ft/lbs..." That's an additional 136 HP, 5x as much as you saw. I'm usually pretty skeptical of claims like that but it would be unusual for it to be exaggerated by that much. Perhaps the one you saw tested was an older version? I'm not saying you're wrong, just wondering where the discrepancy lies.

Anyway, I totally agree that it isn't worth it for the kind of wheeling most of us here do. When I want fast acceleration I drive my Tesla :eek:

And still, people are going to Motech and replacing superchargers with V8 engines.

Sent from my iPhone using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

13_gecko_rubi

I've also seen videos of V8 JLs from many vendors and it's for sale and not a single one works.

To give you a frame of reference, denton racing just dynod their supercharged LS JK with 11 lbs boost. See attached chart. It made 411 hp / 405 tq to the wheels. So if you still believe a supercharged 3.6 making around 8 lbs of boost gets you over 300...received_342900682921614.jpeg

Sent via....

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Selected completely at random, the WINNER of the WAYALIFE shot glasses is...

35” tires for me. The size has taken me to most all trails around Northern California to include the Rubicon and some of fordyce. I think the size is large enough for most people and keeps wear and tear at a minimum. Plus it’s my daily driver so don’t want to go to big. Gas, tire cost etc.

However, I still want 37’s and will probably do that next! Lol.

Congratulations silverbullet88! :rock:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
And, a big thanks to everyone else that helped to make this very informative survey possible :thumb: