Bumper Selection: Stubby, Recessed Winch, OEM Fogs, Bull Bar

GCM 2.0

Just wanted to throw in a comment on the Mopar front bumper. I am definitely not an expert and to date my only experience with the JL has been during the JLX. Unfortunately on the JL Experience there are so many things (both good & bad) that are just not able to be captured, and until we complete the cloning program of getting a Cindy and Eddie to follow and film alongside each rig, we will continue to miss a bunch of “lessons learned”. Anyway, the rigs that were running this bumper (Synergy and JKS for sure), showed serious signs of use with mild contact, the area circled/highlighted in the photo was basically torn off even with light contact on rocks exposing the round flat metal structural piece beneath.

IMG_2176.JPG

I understand not everyone will wheel to the level you see in the videos for the JLX, but that is kind of normal out here in the west/southwest to actually have your bumper make contact with rocks every time you’re on a trail. I am in no way saying it’s not a great bumper choice, because Jeep did a nice job aesthetically, but a 4500lbs(++) vehicle lightly touching something changes aesthetics of parts easily.

Jeeeep

Just wanted to throw in a comment on the Mopar front bumper. I am definitely not an expert and to date my only experience with the JL has been during the JLX. Unfortunately on the JL Experience there are so many things (both good & bad) that are just not able to be captured, and until we complete the cloning program of getting a Cindy and Eddie to follow and film alongside each rig, we will continue to miss a bunch of “lessons learned”. Anyway, the rigs that were running this bumper (Synergy and JKS for sure), showed serious signs of use with mild contact, the area circled/highlighted in the photo was basically torn off even with light contact on rocks exposing the round flat metal structural piece beneath.

View attachment 7978

I understand not everyone will wheel to the level you see in the videos for the JLX, but that is kind of normal out here in the west/southwest to actually have your bumper make contact with rocks every time you’re on a trail. I am in no way saying it’s not a great bumper choice, because Jeep did a nice job aesthetically, but a 4500lbs(++) vehicle lightly touching something changes aesthetics of parts easily.

thanks for the info, I've been holding off waiting to see what kind of impact the bumper can take.

I don't wheel as much as I like but when I can, I'm out west and always surprised how many dings the bumper takes as high up as it is.

The bumper search continues.

ddays v2

All great points ^^. I would definitely not consider this a rock crawling bumper. Like GCM said, aesthetically its a great looking bumper, but if you compare it to the stubbies out there the factory steel lacks the smooth panels that would allow it to slide off of obstacles. I gave that a lot of thought before I went with them and may eventually regret it, but for now this JL will stick to the "overlanding" :)rolleyes2:) chores. I'll use the JK for the harder stuff.

wibornz

I have the Roam Offroad front bumper and love it. I like the way the winch sits between the frame rails and the I like the front skid plate. The fact that is made in the US is also mega cool. The recovery points are very stout.

So as far as the install went, it was a breeze. Everything fit right. Everything lined up right. It was very easy. I also think it looks great.

The folk at Roam Offroad were great to deal with also. Just a win win all the way around.

49348964_226413781600798_8236226601902145536_n (1).jpg

20181202_160438.jpg

Jeeeep

nice bumpers, all of them :thumb:

I like the idea of a sunken winch to keep as much air flow as possible.

Firejeep

They look good but from what I can tell they don’t have an option for backup camera, their plate relocation bracket goes in the middle of the spare.

Jdofmemi

LoD has a new version with a higher stinger now available.

It's what we just ordered, since she was not happy with the short and mid height stingers previous available.

Attachments

• dsc01720_1.jpg
    dsc01720_1.jpg
    146.7 KB · Views: 120

Rampart22

I would have recommended them until they were bought buy trans America. Now I would pass.

Sent from my iPad using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

To be fair I’m partial to American made products. But there’s always exceptions. I’ve owned Toyota’s.....so by no means do I want to sound like a hypocrite nor do I accuse others of such.

BUT if a company that was bought by a bigger company for capitalist reasons is still making assumed quality products does the dominant owner make them bad?

I ask purely as I’m looking to know if a Poison Spyder bumper is recommended or not on its merit. I kinda like the look of the front stubby especially but not sure how it compares to the LOD or others.

After all WARN winch is also owned by trans America. ...

Sent from my iPhone using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

OverlanderJL

Resident Smartass
To be fair I’m partial to American made products. But there’s always exceptions. I’ve owned Toyota’s.....so by no means do I want to sound like a hypocrite nor do I accuse others of such.

BUT if a company that was bought by a bigger company for capitalist reasons is still making assumed quality products does the dominant owner make them bad?

I ask purely as I’m looking to know if a Poison Spyder bumper is recommended or not on its merit. I kinda like the look of the front stubby especially but not sure how it compares to the LOD or others.

After all WARN winch is also owned by trans America. ...

Quality has gone downhill and they shipped production of some stuff overseas. The previous owner is no longer working for PS after the sale.