Bumper Selection: Stubby, Recessed Winch, OEM Fogs, Bull Bar

aug0211

aug0211

Decided that for ~$900, the bumper should be right and damage free from the start. I want to own the scrapes I put in it :)

JEG’s is sending another one out on Tuesday. Said they’ll double box it this time.

My concern is that the stubby portion of the bumper may still be marred up from the end caps. Is everyone else seeing that on their Mopar steel bumpers when they remove the end caps?

Sent from my iPhone using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

OverlanderJL

Resident Smartass
Decided that for ~$900, the bumper should be right and damage free from the start. I want to own the scrapes I put in it :)

JEG’s is sending another one out on Tuesday. Said they’ll double box it this time.

My concern is that the stubby portion of the bumper may still be marred up from the end caps. Is everyone else seeing that on their Mopar steel bumpers when they remove the end caps?

Doubtful on the stock ones. It’s probably from pressure being put on the ends of the bumper allowing it to “bend” into the main frame. If this one is jacked up why not look at Craigslist or here in the for sale section to find a take off. Or just go to the dealer and inspect before you buy.

aug0211

Doubtful on the stock ones. It’s probably from pressure being put on the ends of the bumper allowing it to “bend” into the main frame. If this one is jacked up why not look at Craigslist or here in the for sale section to find a take off. Or just go to the dealer and inspect before you buy.

I wish I could find a take off to buy. No luck so far in my search, though.

Dealer has none coming in for a while. May have to resort to waiting for that if this replacement from JEGS doesn’t cut it.

I will be really frustrated if this next one isn’t up to snuff, I’ll have to unwire and remove the winch and plate to get my plastic bumper back on so I can keep driving lol.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Still need a bull bar, but it’s a start.

I like the JCR offerings but just wish their tubing had a slightly bigger diameter and that their bull bar had a slight angle to it protruding out from the front.

Trust me, you don't want JCR anyway. On top of them being full of themselves, I've seen their front bumper taco on a hit to a tree that nobody else had issues with running bumpers of other makes.

JTCO

Meme King
Thanks! I do like the Mopar option but want something a tad more aggressive looking.

See if you have a local metal fab shop in your area with a tubing bender and see what they would charge to build it based on the idea you tell/show them. Then you could do whatever you want. Being that it's one piece of tube with 2 bends, I can't imagine it being too expensive.

GhostJL

Lod

I'm in the same position, I'm looking for a bumper right now and can't find that perfect one. I love LOD products, but the Signature stubby looks too out of date now. LOD, any plans to make a Destroyer looking stubby with recessed winch? I'm a buyer if you do.

JrBiem

Trust me, you don't want JCR anyway. On top of them being full of themselves, I've seen their front bumper taco on a hit to a tree that nobody else had issues with running bumpers of other makes.

How do you feel about Ace Engineering & Fab products, Eddie? Any experience or observations on the trail with their bumpers or tire carriers?

ROAM

Advertiser
Supporter
I’m curious if anyone has any other ideas to consider or look at.

1. Stubby
2. Recessed winch mount
3. OEM LED fog compatible
4. No light bars/slots for light bars that will look funny without light bars in them
5. Moderately aggressive bull bar (single hoop but mid-grill up to the top of the hood)

For reference, other options I’ve considered are:
•DV8 FS-15 (no recessed winch mount, supposed install options with JL)
•Poison Spyder Crawler - no recessed winch mount, bull bar may be a bit low for my taste
•Artec Industries Nighthawk - really like this, but no recessed winch mount (and wish it was painted already for the price
•GenRight - no fog holes (plus, not sure if I HAVE to have aluminum, in which case the cost may not be worth it)
•Warn Elite Stubby - no spots for fogs

1. Stubby

We've got a front bumper that sort of fits what you've described - our Slimline JL Front Bumper has been out since February of this year and in its base guise its the current shortest known JL front bumper by quite a bit (that does not require cutting the frame rails).

Mel Wade @ EVO also has a really really short front bumper - its the only other front bumper that we know of that is even close to the same ballpark in the stubby race.

ROAM JL Slimline Front Bumper - 0001.jpgROAM JL Slimline Front Bumper - 0002.jpgROAM - JL Front Bumper and Side Armor Steps 001.jpg

2. Recessed winch mount

Our stubby bumpers are shorter not because the winch mount is recessed but because its also angled. It really can't get any shorter than this. Image attached below.

ROAM - JL Slimline Front Bumper Winch Mount - 1002.jpgROAM JL Slimline Front Bumper - 0003.jpgROAM JL Long Arm System Suspension - 0001.jpg

3. OEM LED fog compatible

This is the part where our Slimline JL Front Bumper only sort of fits what you're describing: while our Slimline JL Front Bumper doesn't integrate fog light mounts, we've got modular addons that add that functionality.

Attached below is a picture of our mid width fog light shrouds that install over our JL Slimline Front Bumper (installed on a mid bar height ROAM Slimline JL Front Bumper). Two different styles of fog light shrouds are pictured installed (with the overshroud version on one side and the TC version on the other).

ROAM - JL Slimline Front Bumper with Fog Light Shrouds - 1600x1600 0001.jpg

5. Moderately aggressive bull bar (single hoop but mid-grill up to the top of the hood)

On our first focus group alone we've gone through a few hundred possibilities and mockups of bull bar designs. I've attached an image showing group 7 of 20+ groups that we've gone through before arriving at where we are currently - with three versions (low, mid, high).

ROAM Front Bumper - bull bar height focus group 7.jpg

1. Stubby
2. Recessed

We've also got a really really short tire carrier rear bumper to match. Images are attached below.

ROAM - JL Rear Bumper Tire Carrier - 1600x1600 0002.jpgROAM - JL Rear Bumper Tire Carrier - 1600x1600 0001.jpgROAM - JL Rear Bumper Tire Carrier - 1200x0000 0003.jpg