Towing

notnalc68

That dude from Mississippi
Why is the tow rating so low on the wranglers? I had a grand Cherokee with less HP that was a towing beast for its size.

Sent from my iPad using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

From experience towing with a 2014 Wrangler, and a 2018 Hemi Grand Cherokee, I wouldn’t exceed the Wrangler’s towing capacity. At least, I wouldn’t exceed it by more than a few hundred pounds. I can tell you it feels different. The Grand is capable of towing much more, in my opinion.

Sent from my iPhone using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

Last edited:

Cooknavy

So here is my set up
2018 Rubicon JLU with a factory tow setup.
I replaced the stock class 2 hitch with a class 3 Draw tite Stock number 75515.
I used a Tekonsha 3014-p wire connector from the brake controller connection (gray plug above brake pedal) too connect to a Tekonsha P3 controller .

I’m towing a 2019 ForestRiver E-Pro 19 FBS with a dry weight of about 3100lb.

I also have a Fastway E2 6k weight distribution hitch too help keep it on the road.

And yes the auto start turns off and the traction control disabled itself...I was told this is “normal”

Sent from my iPhone

tschultz1185

So here is my set up
I used a Tekonsha 3014-p wire connector from the brake controller connection (gray plug above brake pedal) too connect to a Tekonsha P3 controller .

I also have a Fastway E2 6k weight distribution hitch too help keep it on the road.

And yes the auto start turns off and the traction control disabled itself...I was told this is “normal”

Sent from my iPhone
Awesome! Great feed back!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

avnmech

Wow children... I appreciate the info on tow cap. Thanks. Anyone who has actually pulled with a JL want to politely fill me in on any additional info. I need recommendations for trailer breaks, load leveling hitches and sway control. Or are these needed? Kinda just wanted to know what others have used.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app
Towed with my 3.8 JK it was horrible, but it didn't squat nearly as much as my JLU does. I have towed my Coachman 17BH with my JLU and it pulls it very well, 2900 empty, 3400 loaded. I use a Hopkins Insight trailer brake controller, and Curt 17002 weight distribution hitch. I'll try to get some pics to post when the weather gets a little better. 20170522_153000~2.jpeg

Sent from my SM-G955U using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

avnmech

So here is my set up

Sent from my iPhone
Thank so much for mentioning the Autostart, and the Traction control thing, I have asked Jeep and FCA about it, and no one can give me a answer, other than it's my non-mopar brake controller that is causing the issue, and I need to purchase a Mopar brake controller and the issue will go away, so I asked the Service rep to find me a part number for that, and while he's at it a pink fly elephant, because neither exists.

Sent from my SM-G955U using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app