Votes: 7 77.8%
  • I use left-foot braking off-road only

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I use left-foot braking all the time

Votes: 2 22.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

BillArnett

A lot of Jeeping books recommend using braking and throttle at the same time in some rock crawling situations. The idea to 1) to be able to switch from accelerating to braking more quickly and 2) to have finer control (the brake is much smoother and easier to control than the throttle). That means using your left foot on the brake. It took me quite some time to get used to that after many decades of driving with manual transmissions. But now I find that it is a very good technique at all times both on- and off-road. I now do it 100% of the time. So what about you?

(Obviously, this only applies to automatic transmissions)

Last edited:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
For bombing across the desert, it can be beneficial. Racers do it for control. On the rocks, most people I see try to do it only make things worse. They try to use the brake to slow them down instead of just slowing down and learning a bit of throttle control. All that does is load the front end up.

Sent from my iPhone using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

Jlusahara

In an open diff, people do it to switch traction from one wheel to the opposite one, knowing that they illogically supply traction to the wheel that has less traction.

Envoyé de mon SM-G950W en utilisant Tapatalk

MrMischief

Will the JL even let you work the brake and throttle at the same time? I thought after all the trouble toyota had with random acceleration issues one of the fixes was all vehicles had to kill the throttle when the brake was applied.

BillArnett

Will the JL even let you work the brake and throttle at the same time? I thought after all the trouble toyota had with random acceleration issues one of the fixes was all vehicles had to kill the throttle when the brake was applied.

Yes, it does allow both pedals to be pressed at once.

JTCO

Meme King
A lot of Jeeping books recommend using braking and throttle at the same time in some rock crawling situations. The idea to 1) to be able to switch from accelerating to braking more quickly and 2) to have finer control (the brake is much smoother and easier to control than the throttle). That means using your left foot on the brake. It took me quite some time to get used to that after many decades of driving with manual transmissions. But now I find that it is a very good technique at all times both on- and off-road. I now do it 100% of the time. So what about you?

(Obviously, this only applies to automatic transmissions)

05e439fd8f3f41ea28439fdb00a3d485_full.jpg.......