Warn VR8-S and Artec Mounting Plate: Rubicon Steel Bumper

Tellico

I picked up a Warn VR8-S for dirt cheap and mounted it in the steel Rubicon front bumper using a mounting plate from Artec. I’m very happy with the mounting plate after watching install videos from some of the other manufacturers.

The fairlead backer plate is aluminum and meant to be an accent. I was originally going to paint it black but it’s growing on me now so we will leave it as is for awhile.

I’m happy with the winch. The black-oxide bolts/hardware are something you would expect from an entry level winch so I put an extra coat of paint on those before they were installed to delay any rust. The control pack is very nice and something that I would expect from Warn. So it is what it is, an entry level winch with a couple of nice Warn touches and a good warranty. I was very surprised with how fast it is. Even under load and tensioning the cable it was quite quick. I will probably end up replacing the cast iron fairlead with an aluminum one.
IMG_4101.jpgIMG_4112.jpgIMG_4113.jpgIMG_4114.jpgIMG_4115.jpgIMG_4121.jpgIMG_4124.jpgIMG_4125.jpg
Here’s some pics.

doubletapdaddy

Caught the Bug
That looks great. Really liking the contrast of the aluminum backing plate.:thumb: Now go remove those end caps before anybody notices.:D

Tellico

That looks great. Really liking the contrast of the aluminum backing plate.:thumb: Now go remove those end caps before anybody notices.:D

Lol,
We removed them for a rock crawling trip a couple months ago and I actually like the look of the full-width better. At least with the stock tires. Maybe it just highlights that the 33s are small when the end caps are off. I plan to leave them on until we get some bigger tires. I do like the stubby look of the stock bumper in pictures that I’ve seen of JLs on 35s and 37s. So when the 37s go on, the end caps will probably come off.

doubletapdaddy

Caught the Bug
Lol,
We removed them for a rock crawling trip a couple months ago and I actually like the look of the full-width better. At least with the stock tires. Maybe it just highlights that the 33s are small when the end caps are off. I plan to leave them on until we get some bigger tires. I do like the stubby look of the stock bumper in pictures that I’ve seen of JLs on 35s and 37s. So when the 37s go on, the end caps will probably come off.

I can totally see that. I am also running stock tires and their smaller size is definitely accentuated by my stubby bumper. I see it every time I shoot pictures.

Ski

I picked up a Warn VR8-S for dirt cheap and mounted it in the steel Rubicon front bumper using a mounting plate from Artec. I’m very happy with the mounting plate after watching install videos from some of the other manufacturers.

The fairlead backer plate is aluminum and meant to be an accent. I was originally going to paint it black but it’s growing on me now so we will leave it as is for awhile.

I’m happy with the winch. The black-oxide bolts/hardware are something you would expect from an entry level winch so I put an extra coat of paint on those before they were installed to delay any rust. The control pack is very nice and something that I would expect from Warn. So it is what it is, an entry level winch with a couple of nice Warn touches and a good warranty. I was very surprised with how fast it is. Even under load and tensioning the cable it was quite quick. I will probably end up replacing the cast iron fairlead with an aluminum one.
View attachment 5174View attachment 5175View attachment 5176View attachment 5177View attachment 5178View attachment 5179View attachment 5180View attachment 5181
Here’s some pics.

I sent you a PM as I have several questions about your install. I look forward to your response. Thank you!

Mikey917

Nice job, great pictures. I was really curious about the winch mounting plate and your pics answered that. I ordered a new jeep the other day and the one thing I couldn't make up my mind on was the bumper group. I opted for the plastic bumper deciding to spend the dollars on a winch ready after market bumpers.

Good choice with Warn on the winch. I installed a Warn winch on my 1984 CJ-7 back in 1985 and it has never ever had a problem. There are probably equally great products made by others but I plan on sticking with Warn on my new jeep. ~~Thanks...

Piginajeep

Good shots. I’ve been to lazy to look up who makes a winch mount for the factory bumper. I love the look of the factory. I wonder if my power plant will work in it ??🧐