Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: JL JOURNAL : DIY Homemade Hardtop Hoist on a BUDGET

JL JOURNAL : DIY Homemade Hardtop Hoist on a BUDGET

More than its weight, and it does weigh quite a bit, the biggest reason why most people never remove the hard top on their Jeep JL Wrangler is because of its big bulky size. Even if you could manage to remove it on your own, it'd be crazy awkward to handle and then thereís the question of, where do you put it once itís off? If youíre lucky enough to live in a home that has a garage and one thatís big enough for you to park your Jeep in, hanging your hard top from the ceiling is gonna be your best bet. Unfortunately, most of the aftermarket hoist systems available today are pretty pricey. So, what do you do when you want to open up your Jeep but don't want to spend a ton of money? Well, for about $25, you can make your own hard top hoist and this episode of the JL JOURNAL will show you how.

What You Will Need
    (6) Screw Eyes
    2x4 Ė Wood
    (4) Tie-Down Straps
    Drill
    Drill Bit
    Screw Driver
    Stud Finder
    Saw
    Tape Measure

I hope you find this video to be helpful and please let me know if you have any questions.

Quote Originally Posted by wayoflife View Post
    More than its weight, and it does weigh quite a bit, the biggest reason why most people never remove the hard top on their Jeep JL Wrangler is because of its big bulky size. Even if you could manage to remove it on your own, it'd be crazy awkward to handle and then thereís the question of, where do you put it once itís off? If youíre lucky enough to live in a home that has a garage and one thatís big enough for you to park your Jeep in, hanging your hard top from the ceiling is gonna be your best bet. Unfortunately, most of the aftermarket hoist systems available today are pretty pricey. So, what do you do when you want to open up your Jeep but don't want to spend a ton of money? Well, for about $25, you can make your own hard top hoist and this episode of the JL JOURNAL will show you how.

What You Will Need
    (6) Screw Eyes
    2x4 Ė Wood
    (4) Tie-Down Straps
    Drill
    Drill Bit
    Screw Driver
    Stud Finder
    Saw
    Tape Measure

I hope you find this video to be helpful and please let me know if you have any questions.
    That is awesome! Another great idea and video! Thanks Eddie!

This is great!!

Sent from my iPhone using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

That was totally awesome!!!!! I need to clean out the garage so I can install and remove my hardtop!

Awesome video and great info!

I need to do this. I just donít want a hard top hanging from my ceiling. Lol

2012 Jeep Jk - 37ís
    2012 Jeep JKU Rubicon - 40ís
    1975 Jeep DJ5

Thanks, itís a great idea!

Sent from my iPad using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

Lol. We were just talking about diy hardtop hosts today. Perfect timing for the video to show up. Great simple setup.

Had this similar concept for my JK hard top. Totally works and just as easy as the vid points out.

Once I took my JK hard top off though, I never put it back on. When I ordered my JL, I just went with the premium soft top only.

Guessing your winters will make a hard top more useful to keep hanging around.

Quote Originally Posted by OverlanderJL View Post
    I need to do this. I just donít want a hard top hanging from my ceiling. Lol

Agreed... if you use your garage as a shop, you would need a 12í ceiling. My 9í ceiling would make it uncomfortable. But this setup is great for a quick temporary removal.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast