JL JOURNAL : DIY Homemade Hardtop Hoist on a BUDGET

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
More than its weight, and it does weigh quite a bit, the biggest reason why most people never remove the hard top on their Jeep JL Wrangler is because of its big bulky size. Even if you could manage to remove it on your own, it'd be crazy awkward to handle and then there’s the question of, where do you put it once it’s off? If you’re lucky enough to live in a home that has a garage and one that’s big enough for you to park your Jeep in, hanging your hard top from the ceiling is gonna be your best bet. Unfortunately, most of the aftermarket hoist systems available today are pretty pricey. So, what do you do when you want to open up your Jeep but don't want to spend a ton of money? Well, for about $25 spent at your local Lowe's Hardware store, you can make your own hard top hoist and this episode of the JL JOURNAL will show you how.

What You Will Need
(6) Screw Eyes
2x4 – Wood
(4) Tie-Down Straps
Drill
Drill Bit
Screw Driver
Stud Finder
Saw
Tape Measure

I hope you find this video to be helpful and please let me know if you have any questions. :cool:

unaseer

More than its weight, and it does weigh quite a bit, the biggest reason why most people never remove the hard top on their Jeep JL Wrangler is because of its big bulky size. Even if you could manage to remove it on your own, it'd be crazy awkward to handle and then there’s the question of, where do you put it once it’s off? If you’re lucky enough to live in a home that has a garage and one that’s big enough for you to park your Jeep in, hanging your hard top from the ceiling is gonna be your best bet. Unfortunately, most of the aftermarket hoist systems available today are pretty pricey. So, what do you do when you want to open up your Jeep but don't want to spend a ton of money? Well, for about $25, you can make your own hard top hoist and this episode of the JL JOURNAL will show you how.

What You Will Need
(6) Screw Eyes
2x4 – Wood
(4) Tie-Down Straps
Drill
Drill Bit
Screw Driver
Stud Finder
Saw
Tape Measure

I hope you find this video to be helpful and please let me know if you have any questions. :cool:
That is awesome! Another great idea and video! Thanks Eddie!

JTCO

Meme King
Lol. We were just talking about diy hardtop hosts today. Perfect timing for the video to show up. Great simple setup.

JAGS

Had this similar concept for my JK hard top. Totally works and just as easy as the vid points out.

Once I took my JK hard top off though, I never put it back on. When I ordered my JL, I just went with the premium soft top only.

Guessing your winters will make a hard top more useful to keep hanging around. [emoji6]

Duke

Definitely gonna do this. Fall in NM is such a pleasant time of year. As always, nice video Eddie!

Duke

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
That is awesome! Another great idea and video! Thanks Eddie!

Glad that we could help out with some ideas :yup:

This is great!!

Thanks, we're glad you like it :)

That was totally awesome!!!!! I need to clean out the garage so I can install and remove my hardtop!

LOL!! Hopefully so that you can park your Jeep in it too :cool:

Awesome video and great info!

Thank you, we're glad that you found the video and info to be useful :)

I need to do this. I just don’t want a hard top hanging from my ceiling. Lol

yeah, just deal with it :D :crazyeyes:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks, it’s a great idea!

Simple and cheap :yup:

Lol. We were just talking about diy hardtop hosts today. Perfect timing for the video to show up. Great simple setup.

Simple and cheap and that means more money for other Jeep parts :thumb:

Had this similar concept for my JK hard top. Totally works and just as easy as the vid points out.

Once I took my JK hard top off though, I never put it back on. When I ordered my JL, I just went with the premium soft top only.

Guessing your winters will make a hard top more useful to keep hanging around. [emoji6]

It's funny because got a hard top on just about every Jeep we've bought but eventually sold all of them. This might be the first one we keep. :crazyeyes:

Agreed... if you use your garage as a shop, you would need a 12’ ceiling. My 9’ ceiling would make it uncomfortable. But this setup is great for a quick temporary removal.

This is true. Back when we still lived in SoCal, we hung our hard top like this and it could be a pain to deal with. Fortunately, I have a shop in the back :yup:

Great job as usual. Love the drone footage toward the end.

Thanks and glad you watched till the end :cool:

totally cool and useful!!! TYransfering the technology to my garage ;)

LOL! Awesome. :cool:

Definitely gonna do this. Fall in NM is such a pleasant time of year. As always, nice video Eddie!

Duke

Thank you, so glad you enjoyed the video :)

jljordan

This is great! Too many close calls with the kids helping me take it on and off. Thanks for the great video!