Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: JL JOURNAL : DIY Homemade Hardtop Hoist on a BUDGET

Caught the Bug
    I just did the same basic thing on the cheap. Some J-hooks and ratchet straps. It's light enough I'm going to use lighter duty strips next time. Yes, the J-hooks are crooked... but I screwed them in crooked cause I was in a hurry and not paying much attention

2019-04-05 18.34.29.jpg

IMG_6323.jpg

I have a cart that I been putting my hardtop on. Wanted to give this a try since I always scratch the hardtop or the Jeep to take it off and lay it on the cart. This is way better. Thanks Eddy!

Sent from my iPhone using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by Alex4LO View Post
    I have a cart that I been putting my hardtop on. Wanted to give this a try since I always scratch the hardtop or the Jeep to take it off and lay it on the cart. This is way better. Thanks Eddy!
    Awesome, so glad that we could be of help to you

Thanks for the idea Eddie... I did almost the same thing but used a set of topsy brackets

top.jpg

top 2.jpg

top 3.jpg

top 4.jpg

Awesome! I've been looking at those and wondered if it would make something like this easier. Thanks for posting up

Quote Originally Posted by wayoflife View Post
    Awesome! I've been looking at those and wondered if it would make something like this easier. Thanks for posting up
    After seeing them the brackets are pretty simple, I'm sure anyone with some basic tool skills and sheet metal could make their own. They do make hooking straps to the top easy.

Hoisting the top all the way up to the ceiling (13 feet) was a lot more time consuming than I thought it would be, mainly from having to re position the ladder ten times as I worked my way up.

I'm tempted to spend a little time and money to mount a boat trailer winch with some pulleys or something on the ceiling to be able to crank it all the way up a little easier

Fresh Catch

Inspiration for our hardtop garage lift

This video was the inspiration for us to install a lift in our garage for Mimi's hardtop. We wanted something that I could potentially do myself with little to no help when my hubby is not around. We didn't want to spend a fortune on an half-assed pulley system or tons of money on electric lifts, so we found this in between. With the help of several hardware stores, we created this lift system. With the help of a 72" of pipe (that's what she said), a 2X4, some extra wood lying around the house, two pulleys, a couple of sets of ratcheting straps, and a hand-cranked winch, we got her done! After two weeks of planning, prepping, testing, failing, and re-testing, we got the project to work with just lil' ole me doing all the work. Total cost for materials: $85.50. Now, I'm ready for a topless summer!

Hand-crank winch: Haul Master 1-ton Winch with hand crank = $30.00 @ Harbor Freight
    Ratcheting Straps: Husky 12ft Ratchet straps (set of 4) = $10.00 @ Home Depot
    Pulleys: Everbilt 1-1/2 in wall/ceiling mount pulleys = $9.00 for 2 @ Home Depot
    Eye Hooks: large screw-in eye hooks = $7.50 for 3 @ Home Depot
    1/2" steel pipe = 10 feet (cut to 6 feet) = $16.00 @ Home Depot
    One 96" 2x4 = $3.00
    6ft of pipe insulation (self-sticking) = $3.00 @ Home Depot
    Pipe insulation (elbows) = $7.00 for 4 @ Home Depot
    One 24" wooden slats (cut into 3 pieces at 24") = free
    3 tennis balls = free

IMG_2777.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by JustLookingMimi; 03-15-2020 at 03:49 PM.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234