Uconnect/Android auto=hot garbage

Deezus

I have the 8.4. Uconnect and besides being limited in its settings(Why can't I have the halos stay on with the parking light) using Android auto is worthless. I have 2 phones and each one has AA issues. I have deleted and reconnected devices, changed cables and it still only works when it feels like it. I'm not sure if radio has updated itself or not but when I first got jeep it was working fine. Sad thing is, if it is a Uconnect issue, who knows when we will see a fix. On my JK I had a Daisaita 10 inch stereo which was basically an Android tablet for the car. When will manufacturers understandvthats what we really want....as soon as there's an aftermarket head solution this garbage Will be gone.....end of rant.
Am I alone in this?

Sent from my LG-H932 using Tapatalk

doubletapdaddy

Caught the Bug
I have zero issues using Android Auto.

Uconnect 4C NAV, 8.4
Samsung S8+
Android Ver 8.0.0
Samsung Exp Ver 9.0

Also, how is Uconnect related to your halos?

Last edited:

Deezus

I have zero issues using Android Auto.

Uconnect 4C NAV, 8.4
Samsung S8+
Android Ver 8.0.0
Samsung Exp Ver 9.0

Also, how is Uconnect related to your halos?
It's not but the lighting settings are accessed from the head unit.
I have a Samsung 9 and a v30 both have issues with AA.

doubletapdaddy

Caught the Bug
It's not but the lighting settings are accessed from the head unit.
I have a Samsung 9 and a v30 both have issues with AA.

I forgot about those settings, thanks for the reminder. Apparently I play with my Tazer JL too much. Have you reach out to your dealer or Jeep Cares yet? FWIW, I required the head unit from my JK swapped out, which became a nightmare trying to deal with SiriusXM as my VIN and original head unit remained forever linked.

Fugi888

I too have nothing but issues with android auto. I have the 7" screen, 2018 JL sport. Galaxy s9+
Android v8.0.0
Samsung v9.0

The screen will just go black and music will stop playing (streaming and sd card on phone)

Unplugging it and reconnecting does nothing.
I have deleted the app and reinstalled it but to no avail.

Sent from my SM-G965U using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

Ok this may sound dumb but is there lint or something in your USB port? The only time I have issues with CarPlay & my iPhone is when there’s lint in my phones port. It’ll charge, but won’t connect and give over control.

Deezus

I forgot about those settings, thanks for the reminder. Apparently I play with my Tazer JL too much. Have you reach out to your dealer or Jeep Cares yet? FWIW, I required the head unit from my JK swapped out, which became a nightmare trying to deal with SiriusXM as my VIN and original head unit remained forever linked.
I may do that....um gonna go down there and try it again my phone just got an update so I uninstalled Android auto and reinstalled.

Deezus

Ok this may sound dumb but is there lint or something in your USB port? The only time I have issues with CarPlay & my iPhone is when there’s lint in my phones port. It’ll charge, but won’t connect and give over control.
I thought of that too.... used air to blow out dust from recent trips.

Last edited:

CtrlZThis

I have the 8.4. Uconnect and besides being limited in its settings(Why can't I have the halos stay on with the parking light) using Android auto is worthless. I have 2 phones and each one has AA issues. I have deleted and reconnected devices, changed cables and it still only works when it feels like it. I'm not sure if radio has updated itself or not but when I first got jeep it was working fine. Sad thing is, if it is a Uconnect issue, who knows when we will see a fix. On my JK I had a Daisaita 10 inch stereo which was basically an Android tablet for the car. When will manufacturers understandvthats what we really want....as soon as there's an aftermarket head solution this garbage Will be gone.....end of rant.
Am I alone in this?

First post here...

Out of curiosity.....why bother with android auto? I just connected my Note9 to my Uconnect via USB and done. Plays my tunes, calls and texts fine. I never installed android auto on my Note and honestly dont see the need to.

Sent from my SM-N960U1 using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

doubletapdaddy

Caught the Bug
First post here...

Out of curiosity.....why bother with android auto? I just connected my Note9 to my Uconnect via USB and done. Plays my tunes, calls and texts fine. I never installed android auto on my Note and honestly dont see the need to.

If AA wasn't available to use (ie never installed on Uconnect in the first place) people wouldn't be bothered. I think the problem here is that people would like to use what has been advertised as part of their purchase. I wouldn't miss Hill Decent Control if it wasn't there, but I would be irritated if it didn't function properly since it is there.

CtrlZThis

If AA wasn't available to use (ie never installed on Uconnect in the first place) people wouldn't be bothered. I think the problem here is that people would like to use what has been advertised as part of their purchase. I wouldn't miss Hill Decent Control if it wasn't there, but I would be irritated if it didn't function properly since it is there.
I totally agree. My JL was a larger priced purchase than my highly priced android Note9 by far. Leaving my bluetooth on after work and connecting straight away with my JL when I get to it as I leave work is too convenient to even bother downloading AA and using that. FCA's UConnect works too well to even bother with AA in my opinion.

Full Disclosure.....
I'm an Industrial Sculptor in the FCA Jeep Studio as well as a part time developer for Android and BlackBerry devices.

Turn bluetooth on and let your JL play your tunes thru your device. Wait till you're home to reply to your texts.

doubletapdaddy

Caught the Bug
That is a pretty cool disclosure. I would like to be you when I grow up. LOL.

Turn bluetooth on and let your JL play your tunes thru your device. Wait till you're home to reply to your texts.

I too agree.

Although I have zero problems with AA, I usually only use it when I really need Google Maps. (is there a way to use Google Maps with Bluetooth?) I mostly connect via Bluetooth to listen to podcasts or manage calls.

Last edited:

Deezus

First post here...

Because it's a feature advertised and paid for and I do like it. Bluetooth sound quality is not good either... At times I hear static, slight but it's there. I realize this can probably be fixed through an update but that will take who knows how long and that's the issue.... Having to go to the dealer or wait for an Ota for something that in the cellphone world we update ourselves.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Deezus

I too agree.

Although I have zero problems with AA, I usually only use it when I really need Google Maps. (is there a way to use Google Maps with Bluetooth?) I mostly connect via Bluetooth to listen to podcasts or manage calls.

Just use your phones screen. Another annoyance is this unit doed not show the Rubicon Trail on its internal maps. The previous one did(JK) .... Again updates can fix this but I think it would be cool to have directions to the Rubicon trail on the Rubicons GPS from wherever you were.

CtrlZThis

Because it's a feature advertised and paid for and I do like it. Bluetooth sound quality is not good either... At times I hear static, slight but it's there. I realize this can probably be fixed through an update but that will take who knows how long and that's the issue.... Having to go to the dealer or wait for an Ota for something that in the cellphone world we update ourselves.

True....AA does have its qualities that are hard to beat. Maps specifically and as for not getting static, the best option I've found is to just tether it using your USB and hard wiring it with the multiple connections in the console or IP.

One of my biggest gripes is the head unit needing to be updated. My wifes Challenger GT's blind spot indicators were on constantly and the radio would come on just because we walked by the car in the garage!! An update to the radio fixes multiple problems, but it's crazy that so much is directed thru it for the entire car.

CtrlZThis

I too agree.

Lmao it's not as amazing as it sounds although I do love what I do and most of the people that I do it with. 26 years in the industry and I've seen quite a lot and grateful for it.

On topic ....this 2018 JL is my 6th wrangler and 5th Black Sahara. If I lived near boulders I'd probably opt for a Rubicon but the Sahara is all I need for my daily dirt road commute!

Deezus

Lmao all of a sudden it started working(AA) today. But gave an error when I tried to call someone....

13_gecko_rubi

Lmao all of a sudden it started working(AA) today. But gave an error when I tried to call someone....

I'd venture to guess the issue is with your phone not the radio. AA and AC are 90% controlled by Google and Apple. The radio is just a projector. It's all controlled by them.

Sent via....

Deezus

I'd venture to guess the issue is with your phone not the radio. AA and AC are 90% controlled by Google and Apple. The radio is just a projector. It's all controlled by them.

Sent via....
Maybe but I have 2 phones one LG one Samsung and I have the same issues. There has been no AA update to either phone.