Uconnect/Android auto=hot garbage

Sgt Beavis

Ok this may sound dumb but is there lint or something in your USB port? The only time I have issues with CarPlay & my iPhone is when there’s lint in my phones port. It’ll charge, but won’t connect and give over control.

Nothing dumb about this. A few weeks ago, I was having connection issues with my iPhone. I got a toothpick and dug out enough lint to knit half a sweater. ;)

My problem is with CarPlay navigation. When I'm using my iPhone 7+, disconnected from Carplay, everything works perfectly. However, let say I open Apple Maps (everything working normally) and then connect the iPhone to the uConnect (7" model). My navigation will instantly change position. 100% of the time it will show my Jeep as being in the parking lot of a Target that is 5 miles from the house. I can be on the other side of the state and navigation will still show me as being in front of that Target. If I start driving, Apple Maps will correct itself in a few hundred feet and show my correct position.. If I disconnect the phone from uConnect, navigation will instantly fix itself..

It gets even weirder. If I leave my phone connected and turn on Waze or Google Maps (obviously displayed on the phone and not uConnect) those apps will ALSO show me as being in the front of the same Target. If I disconnect from uConnect, they will be instantly fixed.

I need to get a neighbor that has Carplay to let me try this on their system to see if it's the phone or the uConnect. IMO, somehow Location Services is getting screwed up with CarPlay is engaged. I just don't know if it's the uConnect that triggers it or if it's just the phone.

I've had this issue since iOS 11.3 and it continues with iOS12. It's kinda pissin' me off.

BillArnett

Nothing dumb about this. A few weeks ago, I was having connection issues with my iPhone. I got a toothpick and dug out enough lint to knit half a sweater. ;)

My problem is with CarPlay navigation. When I'm using my iPhone 7+, disconnected from Carplay, everything works perfectly. However, let say I open Apple Maps (everything working normally) and then connect the iPhone to the uConnect (7" model). My navigation will instantly change position. 100% of the time it will show my Jeep as being in the parking lot of a Target that is 5 miles from the house. I can be on the other side of the state and navigation will still show me as being in front of that Target. If I start driving, Apple Maps will correct itself in a few hundred feet and show my correct position.. If I disconnect the phone from uConnect, navigation will instantly fix itself..

It gets even weirder. If I leave my phone connected and turn on Waze or Google Maps (obviously displayed on the phone and not uConnect) those apps will ALSO show me as being in the front of the same Target. If I disconnect from uConnect, they will be instantly fixed.

I need to get a neighbor that has Carplay to let me try this on their system to see if it's the phone or the uConnect. IMO, somehow Location Services is getting screwed up with CarPlay is engaged. I just don't know if it's the uConnect that triggers it or if it's just the phone.

I've had this issue since iOS 11.3 and it continues with iOS12. It's kinda pissin' me off.

Sounds like Location Services on the iPhone is trying to get its location from the Jeep and the Uconnect has some old location cached that’s never been updated. What does the Uconnect’s NAV screen show when this happens?

unixfool

I have the 7" screen in a 2018 JL Sport S. I'm using an LG V30. No issues whatsoever using AA via USB. I mainly use it for Waze, although I do play music through AA as well.

Last edited:

Fugi888

So I read on a uconnect forum (I think) that if you change your screen resolution down from WQHD to FHD that resolves the android auto app from crashing. I haven't been on a long drive yet but so far I have not any issues since I changed it.20181127_201641.jpeg20181127_201626.jpeg

Sent from my SM-G965U using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

Deezus

It's now working for me.... I had to change many cables. The radio, over Bluetooth, still cuts out but not on Android auto. It also just deletes one of my phones randomly...its still not great.

Sent from my LG-H932 using Tapatalk

RioGrande

I recently got an AA update on my S8Active and it's not playing well with Uconnect (8.4") It'll play my music but the screen doesn't update to show the current song and sometimes locks up. I can't use bluetooth because the Uconnect bluetooth is garbage and has static and cuts out to were you miss half a song. I originally thought it was my phones bluetooth but my wife and daughters iPhones cut out also (although not as bad and seem to recover after a min or so and play normal)